1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Coonhounds

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by KeeperOfMyHome, Feb 24, 2005.

1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Hey Y'all! Didn't know where else to put this.

I've been thinkin' on getting a Redbone Coonhound, but we live in a neighborhood. It would mostly be a family pet, but my twin boys are interested in hunting as well. Has anybody ever owned a Redbone (or any other kind of coon hound)? Do they bark a lot? Would they disturb the neighbors at night?

Julia

2. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

My Grandfather and my father had coonhounds. I grew up with a series of 5 to 6 dogs. Went coonhunting at least twice a week. We had all breeds at one time or another; but, I favored the Redbone. One of my Dad's rules was never make a pet out of a hunting dog. Not only do they bark, they howl like a wolf at times. Could be a pet, but you will need to exercise them and let them run; otherwise, it would be cruel to keep them locked up.

3. KeeperOfMyHome

Yes, keeping a hunting dog confined too much is one of my major concerns, as is the barking. I was wondering . . . is the scenting and hunting an imbred thing, or is it more something you train into them? Our neighborhood is small (less than 35 houses), with only 5 - 7 houses on a street. We've lived here for almost 20 years and back then they left most all the trees. We've got a heavily wooded backyard. I'm wondering if it is large enough back there for the boys to take a dog out.

Anyway, this might just be something to put on the back burner until we can get that farm our youngest has been praying for! ;) Can't hurt to gather information for now.

Julia

4. Grace

Grace New Member

We have a beagle hound..Sweet dog! For him, the scenting and hunting was pretty much instinctive. Dad had to train him very little to trail a deer. He's our pet, but he's also a hunting dog. You should see him when he knows dad's about to leave for a long weekend of hunting. He gets excited and starts jumping around.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Treeing Walker Coonhound named Ben. He was a stray that wandered into our yard. I don't hunt but he's a happy dog. He was in ragged shape when he came to us and nursed him back to health.

You can see Ben and our other six dogs at www.geocities.com/keninghamilton/kenjolynndogsphotos.html .

6. KeeperOfMyHome

We have a stray too, Ken. Her name is Daisy and we've had her a year now. She is truly a gift from God. She's a small'ish lab mix, about 30 pounds.

Short version: son's dog died in Nov. 2003; cat dies three weeks later; mom swears never to get another pet; stray shows up in January 2004 who looks JUST LIKE the dog that died two months earlier; twin boys feel sorry for her, feed her, dog takes up on residence on front porch; mom names her the same day; take her to vet - she's healthy; we keep her and have fallen utterly in love with her!

She is everything I would have picked out in a family dog, that's why I think she IS from God! [​IMG] I wasn't praying, and the boys promise they weren't! LOL . . .

Anyway, she's lovable and loving, she stays in the yard, comes when you call, is playful, and is just a great dog!

I'll try to post a picture on the internet somewhere.

Julia

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

All my dogs in the past 15 years have been strays with a long story for each one. I think I have enjoyed these strays more than some purebreeds that I've owned earlier in life.

8. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

My brothers and brother-in-law (who frequents this board and would be good to give his opinion with all of his experience with coon dogs, but doesn't have a login!) have raised a plethora of coondogs: English, Blue Tick, Walker, Black and Tan, and a friend had a Redbone. They mostly preferred blue tick and walker.

In general, all breeds of coonhounds love to bark.....especially at night! It's their time to get out and do what they do best. They would drive my dad crazy while he tried to sleep (got up for work at 3am)and, we lived out in the country. Some dogs were docile, others were fiesty.

I also agree with not making it a pet if you want to hunt it. It takes them off of their focus. they just want to play around in the woods instead of hunt, for that matter. My brother babied one and it didn't do much in the woods.

David

9. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

We have Choc labs and they bark at first but you can train that out of them.

two books
    family dog
    and
    hunting dog

both by the same guy but I can not remmber his name.