1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Copied Software

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by joeday, Aug 9, 2001.

1. joeday

joeday New Member

This is a perplexing question for me. I hypthetically know of people who use copies of licensed software for their own use. What is your opinion on this and then using it for projects in the church? :confused:

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Appearance of evil.

3. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

I always wonder how someone who would consider stealing an apple a serious crime has no problem installing a friend's $400 software. :confused:

Copied software is theft. Plain and simple.

4. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Well, what do you mean by using it for Church projects? I do things on my computer for my church, using software I purchased, loaded on my computer, and registered in my name. I do newsletters, invitations, annoucements, etc. I feel that I purchased it, and can use it in any way that I want, with the exception of loading that same software on the churches computer.

So, again, it depends on what you mean by using it for church projects.

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I'm agaist loading other people's software, no matter how many people are doing it. But I did have a copy of Word for awhile that was licensed to my sister. My dad seemed to think that within the family, it all belonged to us. This was a gray area for awhile, but I think that legally Microsoft would have rejected it so I shouldn't have done it.

6. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Ok, that's a good point Genius . . . we have four computers in our home . . . my husband, me, my boys, and my girls all have a computer . . . should we have to buy four copies of every program, game, or whatever that we buy? I think it's disgustingly greedy of the software companies to not allow their customers some slack in this area. Most software starts at about $20 - $25. . . . and goes waayyy on up. If we were to buy four copies of whatever we buy, whew . . . there goes the grocery money! :rolleyes: :D :eek: ;)

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

My understanding is that a program can't be used on more than one computer at the same time (if a person such as "Dad" owns more than one computer). He owns the license and he can install it on a single user machine but he can't use it on two machines simulataneously. Obviously you can't steal it if someone else bought it and is still using it. However, if someone else bought and gives it to you and they have uninstalled it from their computer, then you have a legal copy.

8. John Wells

John Wells New Member

A joke I saw about Napster pretty well sums it up:

"Napster: All the thrills of shoplifting with only a fraction of the guilt!" :eek:

9. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

KeeperOfMyHome said:

Well, what do you mean by using it for Church projects? I do things on my computer for my church, using software I purchased, loaded on my computer, and registered in my name.

That is perfectly legal. Conversely, I sometimes go into the office on weekends and use my work PC to do personal stuff (which is ethical and permitted as long as it does not interfere with company business or involve me in a conflict of interest).

I feel that I purchased it, and can use it in any way that I want, with the exception of loading that same software on the churches computer.

Strictly speaking, you didn't purchase the software. You purchased a license to use it. I doubt that using a personal software package for noncommercial purposes such as a church bulletin would fall afoul of any licensing agreement; however, some companies have different licensing schemes for personal/noncommercial use and business use, and buying a cheaper personal license for use in a for-profit business might violate the terms.

Of course, as you rightly point out, either way that doesn't justify using the same software on two machines simultaneously, unless the company permits it.

Biblically speaking you are required to submit to the terms of the license if you want to use the product. There is nothing unbiblical about a software company forbidding unauthorized copying of their software if they wish, and so if you want to use their product, you are bound to accept the terms of the agreement. Let your "yes" be "yes," in other words.

KeeperOfMyHome said:

we have four computers in our home . . . my husband, me, my boys, and my girls all have a computer . . . should we have to buy four copies of every program, game, or whatever that we buy?

If all four of you want to have your own copy of the software on your own computers, then that is exactly what you are bound to do. For example, if you have one copy of Word, make sure it is loaded on only one computer, and share the computer when you have to write stuff.

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I know I do not copy any tapes or CD's for anyone .. . they can buy their own if they want to listen to music.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    &gt;&gt;If all four of you want to have your own copy of the software on your own computers, then that is exactly what you are bound to do. For example, if you have one copy of Word, make sure it is loaded on only one computer, and share the computer when you have to write stuff. &gt;&gt;

Not necessarily. Every software product license you purchase has an agreement.
    The confusion here is probably because people don't read the agreement.
    Most software houses will allow their product to be loaded or executed on more than one computer as long as only one computer at a time is executing the software.
    Many people have a mirror of their PC on a laptop (for travel, etc) with software duplicates.
    As long as the individual uses one or the other and/or doesn't allow anyone else to use the duplicated software on his idle computer(s),this is perfectly legal.

This agreement clause is not always present.
    Some companies have a multi-user/multi-threading version of their product for executing more than one copy of the software at a time. Usually it is much less than purchasing individual software copies.

Read the agreement.

HankD

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: HankD ]

12. Copying software is stealing.
    Stealing sofware is wrong.
    Copying software for Church projects is wrong.
    I copy software all the time, I am wrong to do this. I even have the money to buy the stuff too . I really dont know why I dont buy it. If i see you drop a 20 dollar bill ill pick it up and give it to you but when it comes to software I have no idea why i do this.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    &gt;&gt;Copying software is stealing&gt;&gt;

Read the agreement.

HankD

14. bb_baptist

bb_baptist New Member

Moving thread to the proper forum.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

This one I do know. If you own 4 computers all in the sasme hosue, and buy software, you can only have it installed on one computer at a time. If you want it on all the 4 computers you have to buy 4 copies. I found this out by accident last year researching something (duh, must have been software.., boy was I glad we hadn't shared software. but on the other hand I had a few games that came off a cd a friend had barrowed from a friend of hers, one of the 100 game cd's, I had I think 4 games, when I found all this out(I really had no idea before) I deleted al of them form my computer. When I told her about it, she didn't care.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your other option is to load the software on one computer, and network the other three to the first. Then you set up the three as clients that basically access the program from the main computer, and save the files on the local hard drive.

However, as Hank pointed out, read the agreement. It may have details in there about user licenses (as in, you can do what I suggested above, but you have to buy individual user licenses for each person that will use the software).

17. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

Thin clients certainly have to pay for licenses at my work - but at home you might get away with it.....

[ August 15, 2002, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: InHim2002 ]

18. Eric Kenney

Eric Kenney New Member

You Know Its Perfectly Legal If You Own Software To Make Copies For Home And Personal Use ONLY. Like If You do own more than one computer in a house its not against the law to use the Cd on both computers or make a copy of it and use it on 2 computers at once as long as you OWN both the software and the Computers of which you are loading it on . This is only allowed for personal and private use . I Wouldnt think this includes useing this software at church Unless you Own the computers and there in your name. They Same Goes for Cable TV you are allowed to now Split the cable and have cable on more than 1 Tv in a home . But it would be illegal if you hooked your best friends tv up somehow with your cable . And The same also goes for internet use too.

But the most wise thing to do here would be to call , fax , or Email the Software Company and just tell them the situation and ask them if its okay. [​IMG]

19. LindaB

LindaB New Member

20. Eric Kenney

Eric Kenney New Member

I would Like to say :

1. In The INTRODUCTION of the site you posted it clearly says and i qoute
    2 You Got Your Information From A Unofficial Site And I Got My Information Directly From The Software Company Nintendo

3 I even skimmed through the entire page and did not see one thing disproving what i said and if i can find the page by nintendo about copyrighted software i will post it here...

4 If there is something on the site that you saw that i didnt i would very much like for you to point it out to me .

And Like you said LindaB :D When in doubt ... DONT