1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Copyrighting.

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by DeclareHim, Jul 2, 2004.

1. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Many of the KJVO's I know say that MV's are wrong for copyrighting there versions. I have responded that they copyright all of their tracks and books about their Bible. They then respond it's ok to copyright books and other things about the other versions. But copyrighting the Word of God is wrong. I think this is there dumbest argument yet but they hold to it fast can anyone tell me what they say to the KJVO's if they bring this up. [​IMG]

2. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Also I tell them there are several versions that aren't copyrighted: WEB,YLT, Darby Bible, Websters Bible,ASV, Bible in Basic English. There response to this is these versions are not popular and most aren't in print.

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Tell them the KJV is now, and always has been, under copyright. In 1611, when the KJV was first published, it was granted a "Royal Patent in Perpetuity" which is the English equivalent of a copyright in the name of the Royal family. Nobody can publish the KJV anywhere in Great Britain or any Commonwealth nation without permission of the copyright holder. The copyright will remain in force until rescinded by Her Royal Majesty the Queen or one of her successors.

4. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I found the following in an article written by Mike Gascoigne, B.Sc., M.S., C.Eng., M.I.Chem.E., M.I.S.T.C. at http://www.write-on.co.uk/kjav.htm

Cambridge Bibles are printed by “Her Majesties Printer.” Oxford Bibles, however, are printed at “the University Press.” I have contacted Cambridge University Press in an effort to check out the above information for accuracy, but their response time may be considerable. Their home page is:

http://uk.cambridge.org/

5. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

Here is an excerpt from another article (there are many of them on the WEB) regarding the Copyright status of the KJV:

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "copyrights" issue is but another desperate attempt by some KJVOs to lend a little legitimacy to their myth. Common sense says that if a publisher or printer doesn't make money on a given book, he's not gonna keep printing it.

And, if they wanna get technical, there are many editions of the KJV which are copyrighted because of their study helps, maps, or commentary.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

DeclareHim said:

Many of the KJVO's I know say that MV's are wrong for copyrighting there versions.

The copyright issue is a subtle form of ad hominem argument that shifts the focus of the debate from the worth of the various Bible versions to the character of their translators.

Let your friends know that if it bothers them, they are perfectly free to make their own translation and do what they want with it, including releasing it to the public domain if they so desire.

8. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Thanks for all the replies. [​IMG] They say that the people who copyright there Versions are translating the Bible just to make money. But I always respond I could take the KJV and take John 3:16 and say "God hated the world and did not send his only Son into the world so that everyone would go to hell." Because of no copyright. In a way I think copyrights are good because it ensures the Bible will not be tampered with. Thoughts?

9. KeithS

KeithS New Member

For what it's worth...one of my profs. told me many years ago that the KJV went into "public domain" in the U.S.sometime around the War of Independence. In other words, when the colonists won independence from England, they no longer felt obligated to the pay royalties to England for the Word of God. I never really checked out the information. Anyone know if this is accurate?

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Basically true. Prior to the War of Independence, the colonies were subject to British law. At the time that meant that Bibles had to be imported from England, since no one in America had a license to print them.

11. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, the copyrights issue is but another futile attempt by some KJVO to find fault with some MV. It's all hooey and does nothing to support the KJVO myth, but simply makes its advocates seem silly.

Those people keep trying to find something to support their doctrine instead of simply letting go in the face of the fact that no such support exists. Thay act as if they have a wolf by the ears instead of an entirely-forgettable man-made myth.

There are many, prolly hundreds, of KJV editions out there that are copyrighted due to their content besides the text, such as a concordance unique to that edition, maps, illustrations, dictionaries, history articles, etc. unique to the editions in which they appear. It's not that easy to walk into a store and buy a simple KJV with nothing but the text between the covers. And sometimes the cover itself is copyrighted!

A cold, hard fact: Book publishers, printers, and sellers make & sell books to make money, be that book a Bible or the latest Harry Potter tale.If they aren't selling, production ceases & the book soon becomes unavailable.

Given the prevalence of copyrighted editions of virtually every English BV, & the fact that the AV 1611 was copyrighted, and that the KJV is copyrighted in England, the whole copyrights thing is just more KJVO hot air.

12. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without copyrights, Bible translators could not be paid very well for their labor, so translating the Bible would become extremely difficult.

Copyrights are actually good for the availability of the Bible. They allow for fresh translations that draw on the most recent scholarship to come out rather frequently.

13. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

DISCLAIMER: I am partly KJVO. However that does not color my opinion on this topic, at least.

I am for copyright on any work that the author wishes to preserve in its original form. What I have real trouble with is licensing arrangements that require continual payment of royalties for copies, or outrageously expensive "unlimited licenses". Why? Simply put, I have limited finances. Is it God's purpose to limit distribution of scripture to those who can afford to pay for it?

What modern versions can I distribute freely and entirely to donate to anyone who wants a copy?

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jim508:What modern versions can I distribute freely and entirely to donate to anyone who wants a copy?

Any of them you wish.

If your question involves printingcopies of given BVs, that's where the copyrights issue comes in. However, if you wish to purchase and distribute copies of any given version(s), I see no legal restrictions.

15. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple:

New English Translation: netbible.com (you can print up to 100 copies without permission)

World English Bible: http://ebible.org/ (public domain)

While licensing fees may add to the cost of a Bible, it's more likely that commentaries, maps, binding, etc. are more to blame. Both the American Bible Society and International Bible Society provide Bibles at very low prices.

16. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

The price I am looking for is free, for the text (not the commentaries, maps, etc) for electronic distribution. If I wish to distribute something freely, in an unlimited fashion, I cannot afford to pay much for it. Or I will go much further into debt than I already am. :( :( And is not God's word supposed to be distributed to as many people as possible? (Mark 16:15)

17. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

That is the point. How much do I need to pay to give away the Bible freely?

KJV: Nothing (in the USA at least). I can print it, put it on a web site, CD-ROM, include it in software I develop, whatever.

NIV: Doesn't matter. The IBS will not issue a license for free redistribution of the NIV text, except in small portions.

Which position better favors the Great Commission? Which position is more likely to have originated in scriptural principles? Which position is more likely to blessed by God?

18. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And don't forget about the GENEVA BIBLE. It's online on several sites, to which you can refer people w/o having to place it all online again. And, there's Sword of the Lord, Blue-Letter Bible, & Bible Gateway, all online, all free. Please check'em out. You can send people to those sites as you choose.

20. Jim508

Jim508 New Member

Good. Trouble is, the majority of Bible versions, and the more popular modern ones (e.g. NIV) at that, are not similarly free.