1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could Jesus?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Deacon, Apr 16, 2011.

?
  1. No, he was God

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes, he was human

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could Jesus have gotten a math question wrong?

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your poll is faulty.

You demand that those who respond imply that Jesus was only God (heresy) or only human (heresy) or profess ignorance. I simply can't answer it because there is no correct answer offered.

I say yes, Jesus could have gotten a math problem wrong at some point in His life, because the scripture clearly teaches that "... Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men" (Luke 2:52).

Among other things, this means that Jesus had to learn to walk, talk, feed Himself, learn to use His body, develop His mind, learn the scriptures, train to do work as a craftsman with His father to support His family, etc.

I'm certain He fell on His bottom as an infant while learning to walk, mispronounced words as He learned to talk, and made a few errors while He learned mathematics. And one of the most valuable things we do as we grow is learn from our errors.

These things have nothing to do with sin, but they are part of the human experience of growing and learning.

Now I'm fully convinced that Jesus was the smartest, most brilliant thinker who ever walked the earth, but that doesn't mean that He didn't have to learn.

3. MamaCW

MamaCW New Member

Great point!

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lets see, 2+ 2 always = four - unless you are a Demorcrat. Hmmm

So if, oh never mind

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If He did, then that would be open theism, which is considered heretical so no.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Open theism has to do with the extent of God's foreknowledge and more precisely, what it is possible to foreknow.

Simply put, you're mistaking the knowledge of the non-incarnate God with the knowledge of the incarnate Son of God.

Unless you think Jesus came out of the womb walking, talking, speaking, teaching and quoting the scriptures, then you almost necessarily have to leave open the possibility of Jesus growing physically, mentally, and in His ability to use His body effectively.

Jesus was a child prodigy since He didn't have a sin nature. Indeed the religious leaders are the temple in Jerusalem were amazed by His intellect, piercing questions and understanding:

"Then, after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers." - Luke 2:46-47

7. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, so you're a Nestorian.

8. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. Christ is of one nature, both fully God and fully human.

I have written nothing contrary to that position, nor have I ever privately believed anything contrary to that position.

Are you just trying to come up with an accusation or is there something I've written that you're confused about?

9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way, I'd appreciate it if you would quote me accurately and not add things to what I write like what is in red above.

10. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I'd appreciate it if you'd stop with the false accusations.

The fact is, you did claim what I said you claimed and I did not mistake what you falsely claimed I mistook.

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The evidence is there for all to see.

I didn't write your post where words were mysteriously added to my quote.

Nope. I affirmed both the divinity and humanity of Christ within this thread and have always held that Christ is uniquely fully divine and fully human at the same time.

If I were going to claim some other position, I would have made that clear. I am evasive regarding my theological stance, nor afraid of religious bullies or differing from the majority viewpoints.

This is really childish. I'm not going to waste any more time with your taunts.

12. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. The evidence that you made a false accusation is there for all to see,.

Then don't turn around and blame others if you didn't make yourself clear. But the bottom line is that your claim that I do not understand the nature of Christ (at least to the extent any human being can understand His nature) is false.

Actually, I never taunted you at all. But then, as we've seen from your posts, such false accusations are pretty much par for the course with you.

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, that's a typo. I apparently dropped the "not" in "not evasive" which is definitely my mistake, not yours.

Restated, I am not evasive in my theological stance. I'll tell you exactly where I stand and attempt to make myself clear. Occasionally, I'll slip up, just like the sentence you quoted.

Regarding your response to my error in the previous post, I reviewed what I had written previously in this thread and did not say anything which could be sanely interpreted as holding to Nestorian beliefs. Second, I did not "blame" you for anything except for your jumping to the conclusion that I must necessarily hold to a heretical viewpoint.

FWIW, I've been using scripture in my responses, but you have used none.

The rest of your post is baseless and not worth responding to.

#13 Baptist Believer, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011