1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could the SBC "railed" ON Niv 2011 Because have OWN Bible the HCSB?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by JesusFan, Jul 23, 2011.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Is there another scholarly reason for inclusive genders in a text where the gender of the original language is very clear?

I believe that all the current translations have "Abba, Father." That is not my point, and I did cite the NIV 2011 above, at least that was the copyright. I also cited the HCSB and the TNIV. I take odds with the places where "son" or "he" is changed to "child" or "children". That is NOT what the text says, and in this case, making one out to be a mere "child" and not a "son" (male) negates the claim to be an heir with Christ, for SONS are heirs, daughters are not.

When God calls us a "son" and refers to us as "he" in this particular passage, He is making a bold statement about our position in a legal sense, not our gender, and the luggage dare not be gender neutral and retain the integrity of the passage. The assumption that "son" and "he" means all people is gathered from context in the surrounding pericope, but the passage itself needs to be masculine in order for the promise to be true.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The influence of a resolution in the most poorly attended convention for years? You've done more to let people know about the resolution than Baptist Press has. Southern Baptists don't even take it seriously. Years ago, the SBC met in Orlando and passed a resolution asking for a boycott of Disneyt. What happened? The next day after it was over, Disney was filled with 1,000's of southern baptists (including my family and I).

I didn't even know we passed that resolution until you said something. So thanks for spreading the info about how bad the version is. :thumbsup:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I spread information about how some poor misguided SBC souls spread disinformation about the 2011 NIV.

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Why do I think that you are fighting this battle for some other motive than support of the 2011 NIV?

The version will sell with or without your help, or with or without a resolution on the floor of the SBC which few even know about.

Just wonderin' :wavey:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In verse 7 of the 2011 NIV it says:"So you are no longer a slave,but God's child;and since you are his child,God has made you also an heir."

The word "children" is not in the NIV text at all.

Let's review.

In verse 2 : "The heir is subject to guardians and trustees until the time set by his father."

Verse 5 : "to redeem those under the law,that we might receive adoption to sonship.

There is a footnote regarding sonship:"The Greek word for adoption to sonship is a legal term referring to the full legal standing of an adopted male heir in Roman culture."

Verse 6 : "Because you are his sons,God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts,the Spirit who calls out,'Abba, Father.'

You have made a big deal about the renderings in verse 7 while ignoring all of the above referenced material. You're into molehills.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ned not have wondered. You just need to have read my previous comments. I do not appreciate lies,slander and judging the motivations of the hearts of godly translators. You have done your share of spreading disinformation about the 2011 NIV.

7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Dude..

If you would calm down a bit, you would realize that I cited BOTH the NIV 2011 and the TNIV in my post above. The NIV 2011 uses the world "child" and the TNIV uses the word "children" where the actual text says "he".

Is this the most critical verse in the entire Bible? I don't know. Which one is? They are all co-equal as God's Word to me.

Oh, and I use the NIV 1984 right now as a part of the church I attend, so I'm not all that biased against the translation. Just pointing out that there are SOME issues with the newer versions that are incorrect when they don't have to be, or worse, when they actually corrupt the text in a critical passage that speaks to a very precise theological issue.

As far as spreading lies, slander, etc., I've done neither, toward you or toward the NIV2011. I have just POSTED a verse and made comments. That is fair game.

And, in the end, my question remains. You definitely appear to have a bigger beef than with just the issue surrounding the NIV2011. No one gets that upset over a modern translation that has a large sector of the church world talking about the issues it brings without some additional or ulterior cause. I'm not the only one raising these issues you know...

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Girlfriend. (Your handle does look like 'girlfriend' at a glance.;)

That's quite a strong charge that you will have to document and not simply assert.

Your slanderous remarks were posted in #14 of this thread. I responded in #19. You didn't counter anything I said there.

A number of your comments in post 14 were deleted because of their slanderous nature. One that remained was in your praise of the HCSB you said it didn't make light of God's Word. You said this seemingly in counterdistinction to the 2011 NIV. And that is despicable on your part.

Hey,I lived through the period of time when the TNIV was vilified. All sorts of lies by professing Christians were uttered to protect the Christian world from the bad,bad TNIV.

Lately,the voices against the 2011 NIV are kind of mute compared to the onslaught against the TNIV. But I am at-the-ready to counter lies.

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

I prefer the NASV, as hold to thre translation theology of a more "formal/literal" version for study purposes, but do read and use both NIV/HCSB, as think those are 2 "best " examples available of the "more dynamic" Versions!

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have never heard the term of translation theology. Did you mean translational method?

The NIV and HCSB are more dynamic than the NASBU,but they are not dynamic as such. Do you understand the distinction?

Here are some quotes (neither from a book or article)from Daniel Wallace regarding the 2011 NIV :

"In reality,the NIV produces a more understandable,and ultimately more accurate,rendering of the Bible precisely because the translators were committed to faithfulness to meaning rather than faithfulness to form."

"A faithful translation to the meaning of the original does not have to be faithful to the form of the original."

"A consistently literal translation would be atrocious."

11. JesusFan

have to disagree on last point here though, as do tend to see versions like NASV being "more accurate" for study purposes!

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A consistently literal translation wouldn't really be a translation as such --it would be more along the lines of an interlinear. The NASBU is more literal than many English Bibles --but it is not consistently so. -- And that's good! It uses some dynamic equivalency at times because not doing so would be atrocious! ;)

13. JesusFan

Agreed! ALL versions use"dynamic renderings" at times, evn the most literal ones!

I thought he meant NASV

Say that Dr Wallace referring to an Interlinear type!