1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Could You Be a Bible Translator?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Feb 16, 2013.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take my little quiz and find out if you have what it takes to be a Bible translator or if you are just a wannabe. This is of course just for fun, and you may have what it takes even if you fail the quiz. Note: the quiz does not deal with ability in the original languages of the Bible. It is assumed the would-be translator would work on gaining this knowledge somewhere along the line.

Over the years I've seen many wannabes interested in working on our new translation of the Japanese NT. I usually give them a fairly easy task to do and see if they can complete it: proofreading a book, revising a chapter, researching a particular word in either the original or target language, etc. But occasionally someone contacts me who has absolutely no aptitude or skills or talent, in which case things get fun. One such wannabe has complained on Facebook about supposedly being treated poorly, but didn't even get my mission board right!

Anyway, the quiz is in True/False format. About your score:

1-3 true: Wannabe. You have nowhere near enough skills which might make you a Bible translator. Enjoy watching from the sidelines, but don't try to join a translation committee. :BangHead:

4-6 true: Duffer. It's possible you could be a Bible translator, but you have a long way to go. :type:

7-8 true: Beginner. Sit on a committee, keep quiet until you have a good question or possible rendering. :cool:

9-10 true: Translator. What are you waiting for? Go to seminary to learn the original languages, or join a mission board, or even start your own website with your very own translation! [​IMG]

#1 John of Japan, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aptitude Quiz for Bible Translators

1. I love the Bible and would like to be able to translate it.
    2. When I was a kid I kept trying out new words from other languages.
    3. In high school I took a language class (Latin, Spanish, etc.) and enjoyed it. (Note this could be just when you were a kid.)
    4. While a teen or even younger I found a book on another language and messed around trying to learn some of it.
    5. As a young person I enjoy/enjoyed meeting people of other nationalities.
    6. In high school/college I really enjoy/enjoyed English grammar.
    7. I have always liked using a dictionary, and pull one out often to look up words.
    8. One of my favorite activities is doing word studies of Bible words.
    9. I have several books in other languages in my library (even if I don't know the particular language).
    10. I think it would be actually fun to spend literally 1000s of hours over years, translating the Word of God!

#2 John of Japan, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

John, even though I could respond in the affirmative for many of those questions, I don't think I have the patience to do what you do. Thank you so much for giving me a glimpse into the life of a translator and how difficult the job is! When I hear people saying that some of these modern versions were translated by men who just wanted to push their agenda, I question that because it's not an easy job to begin with and to push an agenda might be a bit difficult. These are all men (and women) who value the Word of God and take their job seriously. Thank you for all you are doing to put a good translation of the Scriptures in front of the Japanese people.

4. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

John, I am just a duffer. I can answer yes to several questions, but have a long way to go. I guess I am left doing what I do know: take the knowledge of other men I trust and learn from their translations as much as possible. To be sure, it is a great responsibility to translate God's word. I heard Dr. Fowler at Liberty University (he also taught at another seminary, I believe, but can't remember where) say that he was glad God did not make him translator. He said he felt too much pressure and feared the consequences should he get it wrong. He was only half kidding. :)

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't imagine doing this just to push an agenda. There are far easier ways to do that!

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've felt some pressure in that direction, having an old friend who has looked at some of the work and is negative. Uncle Miya and I are used to the idea that the translation will be criticized, no doubt about that! If it is constructive criticism, we'll try to improve. If it is otherwise, well, that's just what some people like to do! :type: