1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Court rules in favor of T-shirt

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A federal appeals court is upholding a student's right to wear a T-shirt that promotes a Christian viewpoint on the issue of homosexuality

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=83502More Here

This will present an issue for future attempts to tie opposition to homosexuality to hate speach. Could this end up being a major test for this going all the way to then SC?

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So I guess the T-Shirt vendor being sued by the parents of a soldier should look forward to his victory also! :thumbs:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I hope you plan on tying that together for us, soldier and homosexuality.
    Why would you be opposed to an anti homosexual viewpoint?

4. Magnetic Poles

. <=============Here's the point. You obviously missed it.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

So apparently, you have no real point.

6. Magnetic Poles

:rolleyes: So apparently, you cannot connect the dots.

Remedial class for donnA...
    1. Free speech upheld on Christian's T-shirt
    2. Therefore free speech should be upheld for vendor of anti-war shirt as well.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is you who do not get it. These two issues are unsimilar. If the vendor was just simply wearing an ant-war t-shirt then they would be exactly a like. But the complaint was the "vendor' was making profit from posting the names of dead soldiers. He was using their names to make a profit. This teen was not making a profit form dead homosexuals.

8. Magnetic Poles

Profit has nothing to do with free speech. Making money is capitalism at its heart, and doesn't negate free speech.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You misrepresented the issue. You said that it was about anti-war t-shirt. It wasn't. No one would say that speach was wrong. But the parents of those dead sodliers are upset that their sons names were used in that manner. As such this issue is not equal to the names of dead soldiers being printed on t-shirts. And profiting by using the names of dead soldiers disrepects the troops, dishoners their sacrifice, is unethical, crude, and normal behavior for libs.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Do not call me stupid.
    It's called freedom of speech, get it. A constutional right in this country. Do you now want to do away with freedom of speech?

edited for the following
    I see now, the facts were misrepresented by mp.
    This person was making money off the names of dead soldiers, certainly not the same as wearing an anti homosexual tee shirt that does not list names of homosexuals.
    Yes, a complete misrepresentation of facts.

#10 donnA, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  11. Magnetic Poles

I didn't call you stupid. And I did not misrepresent anything. Both are free speech issues. If you and you pal don't see that, well...we will leave it at that. I never said they were an exact analogue. But again, you don't connect the dots very well.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or actually you misrepresent the situation to connect dots that arent there.

13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I believe in facts, without which is chaos.
    Selling and wearing a tee shirt are not the samething, and can not be compared. The vendor was making money using dead soldiers, taking advantage of the fact they are dead. The student was making a christian statement about homosexuality.

14. Magnetic Poles

I never said that wearing and selling are the same. The dots you seem unable to connect are the fact that both are protected free speech. The student is making a personal statement of his views. The vendor is making a personal statement of his views, and making his shirts available for others who share those views.

The names of soldiers Bush has sent to die are to illustrate the fact that they should not have died. Bushco has done their best to hide the deaths, refusing media coverage of the return of the bodies and denying even pictures to be taken of flag draped coffins.

Typical of neocon extremists is they want their views heard, but wish to silence opposing viewpoints.

I say keeping their names in public view is best, rather than hiding them and forgetting their sacrifice.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Making their name public shoud be deferred to the families. It is rather uncivil to excerbate the grief of mourning families. Just because this admin is respectful of the dead and will not let extremists like yourself turn their deaths into a spectacle does not mean they are hiding anything. This is pure propganda. Anyway you have highjacked this thread enough.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I can normally at least see your logic here MP, but here I can't see it.

I think most of us would oppose a t-shirt that said "Be Happy, not Gay" and then had the names of all the known homosexuals in the school printed all over it. This would be more analogous than what you have tried to draw. Most everyone would also support the right to wear an anti-war t-shirt with no names on it.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both are legitimate free speech statements, and as such, should be upheld.

What liberals never seem to get is how to use good taste, responsibility and good judgement in free speech statements.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am not sure that I agree with the first part of this quote, that including the names of other people's names is a "legitimate free statement," but you do make an good point.

19. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

1. No, they are not. The use of someone's name (lets say yours) in a manner that would be offensive to you in order to illustrate another persons belief is not a freedom of speech right. They are only allowed by our constitution to voice or illustrate their own views without trespass onto your own.
    2. I have never known a liberal that possessed "good taste" to use, nor have I known one to be responsible or have good judgement (or any common sense). Liberals by their very nature desire to be free from responsibility (especially concerning the consequences of their actions. That is the reason for their views on morality (or the lack thereof) when debating the issues of the day. If you will take a honest look at their theology with an open mind, you will find they resemble spoilded, selfish, immature children intent on getting what they want, when they want, how they want and on their on terms with no one's interference.
    A. Abortion (I want to do with "my" own body what I wish and with whom "what I want" with no concern or regard how it affects anyone else)
    B. Homosexuality (I want to do with "my" own body, what I wish and "with with whom I want" without any concern or regard how it affects anyone else)
    C. An Adulterated view of free speech.

One does not have the "freedom" to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater.
    Neither shall you use my name for your own addjenda under the guise of "Freedom of Speech". What about my freedom, my privacy, my IDENTITY. Is not it mine? To do with as "I" please? Or can I use yours for whatever addjenda I can imagine?

Also, everyone needs to look again at The Constitution (1st Ammendment). In acuality it does not state what liberals would like it too. It has been reinterpreted in our modern times and adulterated.

#19 RevJWWhiteJr, May 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2008
  20. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Hogwash! President Bush has hidden nothing, you must be confusing him with the terrorists that are hiding nuclear weapons.

There are pictures and videos all over youtube of flag-draped coffins arriving back in the states. Do some searching before you make a statement to the contrary.

Here is just one of many.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZwnDVsbgWc&feature=related

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.