1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Covenant Households 2 the flood and beyond

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Apr 22, 2011.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and I agree that it is his sheep that will sit down in the kingdom of God with him. Now I'm not asking for literal numbers but because that is the only way we might can understand it let's use percent. Jesus also said we will sit down with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of God. What percent of mankind that lived between Adam and Moses do you guess will sit down in the kingdom? What about between Moses and Jesus? What percent do you think Jesus has chosen as sheep from his resurrection til now that will sit down in the kingdom?

To make it a little more simple, for each period over or under 50%?

I do not know if they met but I think Noah and Abraham had some years of life at the same time. What think you? You to Allen?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Percho
    there is alot of stars,and alot of sand by the sea.
    Personally I think we might still be the "early church" with multitudes more to come in. What if Jesus does not return for thousands of years?

The wicked will no longer come to mind....the redeemed will praise the Lord eternally. I do not think I could put a number on it because it will be so large. God has elected a multitude in Christ.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I think a better question is - What if He does?
    It brings the question Jesus asked His disciples to greater clarity..
    When the Son of Man returns to earth, will He find faith? (or better faithfulness).

The point of the doctrine of His return is that we, like the engaged bride-to-be, to be always looking as if today was the day of His return, no matter how much time we might or might not have. Or as scripture puts it.. Looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our Great God and Savior, Jesus Christ!

#23 Allan, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's almost as many as this:

That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth; And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Especially when taken in context with this:

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Spirit.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Allan,
    If the pre-mill idea is the truth of scripture I would be fine with that....as you would be fine with the post/amill kingdom.
    those in Peters day were instructed to pursue holiness of life in any case.

The other positions account for the verses offered lk18:4 and this passage.

Let me ask you a question Allan....have you ever considered this passage at the end of psalm 22....where do you fit this into your timeline?
    When do you see this as happening? I see this as the gospel going worldwide now..extending the Kingdom,now.
    Do you see this as after a pre-trib rapture.......during a literal thousand yr reign.....before the rebellion at the end of the literal reign?

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The gentiles and their descendants coming in faith were always part of God's plan.....not a mystery. The mystery was they would come in on equal footing with the jew...one new man In Christ.

#26 Iconoclast, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2011
  7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Hello again!

After a busy couple of weeks I am ready to go on with this conversation.

Something I haven't seen discussed thus far:

Gen 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
    Gen 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Would this be an example of a covenant God makes with Himself albeit one that benefits us humans? (a ground rule of sorts in how God deals with mankind) Or is this a covenant with all mankind?

Percho asked if Noah and Abram lived during the same time period. My big "Time Chart of Biblical History" (copyright 2002 by Third Millennium Trust) shows that Noah was possibly alive during Abram's very early (like age 3 and under) childhood. Interestingly enough, Shem apparantly lived long enough to see the birth of Jacob and Esau!

Luke, can you expand scripturally on this idea? How does preaching glorify God if the results don't include the salvation of man?

#27 menageriekeeper, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011
  8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    hello MK....
    Mk This is God making this covenant with all mankind after the flood.
    this is not about salvation as the covenant of redemption was...but this is about God not destroying the earth by flood anymore.