1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

COVID-19, Knowing the Enemy and How to Defend

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good read.

from Irene Ken physician, whose daughter is an Asst. Prof in infectious diseases at Johns Hopkins University, quite informative.

The Covid virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (a mutation) and convert them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

* Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed. Rather, it decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity, and type of material upon which it rests.

* The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam cuts the fat. That, in turn, is why one needs to wash hands for a full 20 seconds, to make a lot of foam. By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule collapses.

* Heat melts fat; this is why it is so good to use water above 25 degrees Celsius for washing hands, clothes, and everything. In addition, hot water makes more soap foam and that makes it even more useful.

* Alcohol or any mixture with alcohol over 65% dissolves fat, especially the external lipid layer of the virus.

* Any mix with 1 part bleach and 5 parts water directly dissolves the protein, breaks it down from the inside.

* Oxygenated water helps because peroxide dissolves the virus protein, but one must use it pure and it hurts skin.

* Antibiotics are useless. The virus is not a living organism like bacteria; one cannot kill what is not alive, and that is what anthobiotics do.

* Never shake used or unused clothing, sheets, or cloth. While the virus is lying on most porous surfaces, such as fabric, it is quite inert... but will still take roughly 3-6 hours to degenerate to a non-threat; 4 hours on copper surfaces (copper is naturally antiseptic) and wood; 24 hours for cardboard; 42 hours for hours metals other than copper; and 72 hours plastics. If one shakes a piece of cloth or use a feather duster, any virus molecules resting on these items can float in the air for up as fine particulate, not unlike dust, and could conceivably lodge in one's nose.

* The virus molecules remain very stable in external cold or artificially induced chilled areas, such as air conditioners in houses and cars. The virus molecules also need moisture to stay stable, and they need darkness. Therefore, dehumidified, dry, warm, and bright environments will degrade it more quickly.

* UV light on any breaks down the virus protein. But be careful, as it also breaks down collagen (which is aprotein) in the skin, eventually causing wrinkles and potentially skin cancer.

* The virus CANNOT penetrate healthy skin!

* Vinegar is not useful because it does not break down the protective layer of fat.

* Only alcohol that is 130 proof (65% alcohol) or higher will work.

* Listerine will work. It is 65% alcohol.

* The more confined the space, the more concentration of the virus there can be. The more open or naturally ventilated, the less.

* This is a given: wash your hands before and after touching mucosa, food, locks, knobs, switches, remote control, cell phone, watches, computers, desks, TV, etc., and of course when using the bathroom.

* You should moisturize hands that are dry from too much washing, because the molecules can hide in the micro cracks. The thicker the moisturizer, the better.

*Keep your nails clipped so that the virus does not easily hide there.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Check your feet:

I read that grocery stores are likely to be one of the most highly infectious places to go because everyone has to go there. So, when I left the grocery store the other day, before getting into my Jeep, I paused to think about everything touched and everywhere that I should consider contaminated. I learned in physical school how to enter contaminated areas within the hospital and looking at the grocery store like a contaminated room I thought about my feet on the floor and therefore before getting into my Jeep I also sprayed the bottom of my feet with alcohol. As I did, I thought that would be kind of a dumb thing not to do considering that's where any falling particles would be.

Today I read this:

"According to a report done by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus might be spread by the soles of shoes worn by medical workers.

A report published in the federal agency's Emerging Infectious Diseases journal stated that samples from the soles of staff taken at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan showed that the virus could be spread on shoes.

"Furthermore, half of the samples from the soles of the ICU medical staff shoes tested positive," the CDC said. "Therefore, the soles of medical staff shoes might function as carriers. The three-week positive results from the floor of dressing room four might also arise from these carriers."

The CDC stated that they highly recommend that soles be disinfected before walking out of wards containing COVID-19 patients."

CDC: Coronavirus could possibly spread from soles of shoes

BTW, I would hope that the medical community would not need this warning because that precaution, such as putting booties on one's feet to protect shoes, is med school 101 stuff!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah

• Like Like x 1
  4. graciecat

graciecat Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for sharing. Whether they are all true or not, there is no harm in trying. We need to take extra precautions.