1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cowboy Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Arbo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree not everything is a race issue ... and that is good. And, IMHO, not everything is about the political leaning of a person. Don't know if that is an issue in many churches or not.

I was simply curious about the average mix in a Cowboy Church. I hope there is a good mix. It makes for great fellowship and wonderful discussions.

What would you say is the average mix, percentage wise?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It varies from church to church depending on the area you are in. For example there are more Mexicans in churches in the Southwest than there are in other areas. Same for Indians. Out my way there are just not many Blacks or Asians in the area.

I do not think that the mix adds to the fellowship in any different way. People are people regardless of race.

3. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

This is a concept liberals don't understand, the Gospel/Christ is the great unifier.

4. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, that is what I would expect in your area.

I see it a bit different. Anyway, a good mix of different peoples from different cultures certainly adds variety of good food to a pot luck supper.

In a larger church than I attend now I was one of the Sunday School teachers for an international class. The class focused on the message of Christ and also on teaching English when there was confusion over words. The parties that class had were absolutely great with foods from a variety of cultures. And it was good for people from those cultures to meet people form cultures from other places including we Americans. It helped promote understanding.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we need to understand is unity in Christ. We will leave the race politics outside.

6. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. And in the same light we leave politics politics out of it also. The unity is in Christ ... not in culture, politics, race or gender.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what you mean by that? Seems out of place.

8. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are united as brothers and sisters in Christ. We have to allow for differences in other areas. Every person is unique and God deals with each person uniquely. We must allow for this.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that is relevant why?

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

If we work on the premise that any assembly of believers who gather to worship and give glory to our Saviour, then, we are indeed talking about a church in the interest of our Lord.

"need to customize church to suit them" -Isn't that exactly what the Protestant Reformation was all about?

Isn't that also exactly what is meant by Baptist churches being independent? There is no human higher authority to tell a Baptist church how, when, where, they must conform to a particular "standard", not specifically specified in the NT.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how you arrive at that conclusion. Is preaching the same Gospel message at one church "baseball" and felling trees at another? Is Christian fellowship different ONLY because silk ties are worn at one church and boleros are worn at another?

A FWIW, before closing: Some of the people attending our local Cowboy church cannot attend my home church because of working schedule conflicts. A nurse for example. Another is a supermarket clerk. Some people come to CB church directly from work, still wearing their work clothes. Either they come as they are or they miss the services. A church shouldn't be "customized" to meet their spiritual needs?

You still haven't answered the question. If two or three are gathered in His name, why does it matter whether the collection plate is one sold by Lifeway, a cowboy hat or a biker's helmet?

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That site is the American Fellowship of Cowboy Churches. They are part of the BGCT if Texas. They are convention churches.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see. So then, Jesus likes to pretend to be a cowboy and dress up like Roy Rogers?

No, not even remotely. The Protestant Reformation was an attempt to call the increasingly corrupt and heretical Catholic Church back to orthodoxy and orthopraxy.

No.

Do you not know what ecclesiology is?

No, it shouldn't.

You're right. I didn't answer the question because its a non-sequitor.

What's more, it's non-sensical, as you're asking me to contrast where a collection plate is sold with a kind of headwear. It's not only a silly question, it's a categorization fallacy, as well.

So do we. We welcome anyone who wants to attend. But that doesn't change the fact that church is for the ekklesia and not for the world.

Isn't that what evangelism is for? Where in the Bible do we ever see the Church being used as an evangelism tool?

So, somebody who believes the Bible and adheres to Biblical ecclesiology is "blind and arrogant"?

I wonder what that would make somebody like you who thinks he knows better than the Word of God?

So, you're not being arrogant now, by insisting that you know better than the Bible and insisting that you will continue to do what you want?

And you continue to show your childishness and disregard for the Word of God.

Why do you assume he can't answer the question himself?

#33 JohnDeereFan, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  14. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I don't know about Johndeere but I want lost people to attend my church. And, if a suit and tie or my schedule is keeping them away from hearing the gospel and being influenced by godly people then its not up to them to change. I will make changes (short of compromising the Bible) to help them. Only an blind arrogant person thinks a church meeting is exclusively for the elect. That will happen in heaven but for now I will not be so heavenly minded and arrogant that I am of no earthly value to the kingdom.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You continue to show your ignorance and arrogance.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would accepting a person from a very different culture as a brother and sister in Christ and also accepting them in their differences not be relevant?

Does everyone have to fit into a specific cultural or political mold?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one said they did, which is why your comments and questions are weird in this context. It looks like you are trying to turn this into something its not. Certainly off topic.

18. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Cowboys tend to be conservative and thus do not fit into Crabby's view of a church where Buddhists, anarchists, gays and bi-s#uals are not just welcome to attend but are encouraged to participate in the function of the church. Cowboys are just to niche and conservative for his view of church.

19. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Do you ever use Preview Post? Second time I've tried to quote you, only to find that you've changed your post. Fortunately I caught it this time.

Next, I see there's no reason to continue this conversation. Never did I say what you implied. In fact, if you'd read my post, you would have seen that I said the opposite. I've never seen Roy Rogers dressed in a Food Lion uniform or nurse's scrubs. Further, I've never seen a woman at a CBC service "dressed up" like Dale Evans either.

Funny, I gave the definition of a word in my prior post, yet you said "Do you not know what ecclesiology is?" You brought in baseball and 2 cycle engine oil, yet you state, (inaccurately) "What's more, it's non-sensical, as you're asking me to contrast where a collection plate is sold with a kind of headwear. It's not only a silly question, it's a categorization fallacy, as well." BTW, Lifeway sells "traditional" collection plates. The same ones referenced earlier. Containers used to collect offerings.

It's plain that you cannot hold your position, thus, you are playing games. I don't play games when I see pastors and laymen, in a God-fearing church doing what they can to bring honor and glory to God. Doesn't matter what clothing they drape upon their bodies, as long as it hides their nakedness in a Godly manner. Most medical scrubs and work related uniforms do that quite well. As do business suits and "cowboy garb". As did the clothing style worn by our Saviour which isn't often seen in traditional Baptist worship services today. either.

20. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're attempting to be witty, right?

#40 Arbo, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013