1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cowboys look – dare I say it – super

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by KenH, Sep 24, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Redskin fanatic... the cowboys will never look super... :laugh:

But they do look better than the 'skins... at least yesterday.

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No doubt the Cowboys look great so far this year. Perhaps the only team playing better right now is the Patriots.

However, it is a long season and a lot can change and happen.

Let's not great crazy, Romo is no Staubach.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know of anybody who is saying that he is.

The Cowboys and the Patriots meet in Texas Stadium on October 14 at 3:15 p.m. CDT on CBS. I am looking forward to what may be only the first of two meetings of these teams this season.

5. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I agree with Ken. The Cowboys look Super in September. I think that title plus a dollar would get you a soda.

Dallas 45 Giants 35
    Dallas 37 Miami 20
    Dallas 34 Chicago 10

The only win that could be called impressive is their demolition of the Bears last night. However, let's not make the mistake of thinking that Chicago is a good team, because they are not. So, while Dallas hasn't played a good team yet, they are beating inferior teams relatively easily, which is a very good thing for them. So, yeah, I think they're Super in September and are the early favorite to win the NFC.

BTW, the Bears aren't going to be good unless 2 things happen.

1) Grossman stops playing QB.
    2) The defensive line starts generating a pass rush.

If Grossman continues as QB and the D-Line continues giving the opposing QB all day to throw, the Bears will not win anything this year.

:tonofbricks:

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, Chicago is just the defending NFC champions. :)

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Give 'em time...Wade Phillips is there coach, no? ;)

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Jason Garrett is the offensive coordinator. :)

9. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

The biggest improvement to the cowboys this year is the offensive line, then when they break down, romo is moving so well that he is still able to get the ball downfield. TO and Romo have forged a great bond, not to mention Whitten.

The boys whipped the Giants in week 1, I think the giants will have proved themselves to be a pretty good team by the end of the year, and Manning actually had a pretty good day that day. Miami held in there until the O line wore out the miami d line, and the boys against chicago were fantastic - esp in the second half when the o line again wore out the bears d line.

This week will be a big test, we will see how the dbacks hold up against Bulger and his receivers, torry holt could go crazy, esp without stephen Jackson. I think this could be a trap game for the cowboys, if they start believeing the press clippings they could get burnt.

NFC teams that scare me are Philly, The Pack (great defense so far) and Seattle (if thier running game stays intact) The cowboys have a great chance this year, ellis is close to being back, newman is getting closer, but it looks like glenn is probably done for the season (per the dallas morning news this morning). Tank should help the d line in the second half. That O line just needs to stay healthy and keep protecting Romo.

Romo has a real chance to be a great qb - will he surpass captain America doubt it, but he has the charisma to go along with the talent that even Aikman lacked in his playing days

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

FTR, I don't think Brian Griese is the answer for the Bears. I heard this idea and think it's interesting. Where's Drew Bledsoe? Bledsoe wasn't the answer for the Cowboys, but could he be for Chicago? I think he's better than both Rex and Griese.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Bledsoe retired this spring.

12. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Even so, he's better than any QB the Bears currently have.

13. PastorSBC1303

ccr, you been saying Grossman needed to be benched for awhile and now they bench him and you aren't happy with the replacement? Who did you think they were going to replace him with?

I ain't so sure about Bledsoe either. But who knows what will hapen.

It very well may turn into a "be careful what you ask for, you just might get it" deal.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I was on the Rex bandwagon until the Super Bowl. I think the best thing Lovie Smith did last season was stick with Grossman. Not making the change paid off with a trip to the Super Bowl.

Griese is a better alternative to Rex, but when I heard the name Bledsoe mentioned this morning, I thought there might be some merit there.

I just wonder if Rex had lost the team. There's some historical evidence for this sort of thing happening. In 2003, the St. Louis Rams started the season with Kurt Warner, who was 100% healthy after an injury-plagued 2002 season. The Rams started the season badly, and looked especially inept on offense. Mike Martz plugged the plug on Warner in favor of Marc Bulger, and the Rams started playing much better on offense and won their division. Warner had lost the team to the point where they (the offense) weren't playing hard when he was the QB.

Really, Rex hasn't played any worse than he did last season. I think if this was strictly a move based on performance, then I don't think Lovie would make the change. He didn't make it last season, why would he do it this season? I think Lovie has determined that the team has given up on Rex and it's time to make the change.

Possibly, but you'll never convince me that the Bears had a realistic shot at the playoffs with Rex as the QB.

15. PastorSBC1303

I agree that was the best thing he did last year. I do not think they go to the Super Bowl if Griese or Orton is their QB.

I am not convinced that Griese is a better option, but I hope he is and they can start winning again.

I am curious, where did you hear the name Bledsoe?

I have wondered the same thing. I had not thought of the Bulger/Warner situation. But I would much rather have Bulger running my offense than Griese.

IMO, it comes down to Wins and Loses. If the Bears are 2-1 right now Rex is still the QB. Last year the Bears won and to change QBs while winning makes no sense.

That may be true, I am not sure yet. My biggest fear is I think the constant criticism from the media and fans has possibly ruined what could have been a pretty solid QB in the NFL. Grossman, inspite of his errrors, was the best QB to play here since McMahon. Have all the fans forgotten this point? In what was basically his first full season as QB he was in the SuperBowl.

My hope is that this time off will give him some time out of the spotlight to regroup and allow him to come back and be the QB that I think he can be when Griese and Orton blow up.

In the meantime, lets just hope that we do not lose to the LieDowns this Sunday

16. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I dont think Bledsoe is your answer - if Bledsoe had been the cowboys qb vs the bears, he would have been sacked at least six times, and would probably have thrown 3 ints. He is immobile and slow (am I being redundant?) The bears line does not look strong enough to keep opposing rushers off of him.

Griese was not bad with Denver when he took over for elway and if the D can hold the other teams down he can be a good caretaker. One of Rex's problems was that he was not a good caretaker and would force the ball into places it shouldnt go - and was just awful at hitting wide open receivers. I think Griese can do the job, at least until they know if Orton is a prospect or suspect

17. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

Bledsoe is horrible and washed up, Brian G., is nothing more than a back up, hence the reason he isn't starting for any other team.

Rex is good, he has a great arm, he has just lost the swagger. I can see Rex being moved out during the offseason for, let's see, McNabb. When Rex is gone, I can see him being a great qb for another team. Just not Chicago.

Chicago has suffered some BIG injuries on the defensive side of things, the pieces are out of place, hence the reason they can't get much pressure on the qb, but they can still stop the run, LT, LJ, MB3, JJones. They can shut them all down. But can't quite consistently get to the qb.

Dallas looks great, the offense appears to be unstoppable, especially in the second half which is odd.

Bears fan stuck in Cowboy Nation

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Thanks for all the thoughts about Bledsoe, guys. I don't remember where I heard it exactly, but I appreciate the opinions expressed.

While I agree, some of the other QBs were Craig Krenzel, Cade McNown, Jim Miller, Jonathan Quinn, Steve Stenstrom and Kordell Stewart (after he was a washed-up headcase).

This brings me to a new question. Why do the Bears always struggle to find a QB? Jimmy Mac's last decent season was almost 20 years ago. Why is it that we haven't found and/or developed a good QB in 20 years? Is it because we've had terrible head coaches, like Dave Wannstedt, during that time? Is it an organizational thing, where they don't value QB as much as they should? Or, is getting a good QB like catching lightning in a bottle, no matter which franchise it is?

I've heard that as well. Some Tator said that it was a lock that McNabb would be the Bears QB in 2008. That would be great, though I have concerns about his ability to stay on the field for 16 games.

19. PastorSBC1303

Don't forget my personal favorite Moses Moreno. :saint:

I, and many others, wish we had the answer to that question. My guess would be that it is a combination of all of the possible reasons you listed.

20. ShotGunWillie

ShotGunWillie New Member

You left out Kyle Orton, who happens to be one of my all time favs. He lead the team to a 13-3 season and a 2nd knock out in the playoffs, if my memory serves me correctly.

I don't know why they can't get a decent qb, makes no sense. Jim Harbough did wonders with the Colts, or so I thought.

They can't afford to draft someone next season and expect to be serious contenders, they have to get the guy during the off season, a veteran, and pay them. This defensive unit is good right now, great when healthy, but some of those guys and getting younger.

Also, is Cedric really the guy. I am a big Texas fan, but he doesn't seem to be pulling the load like he should. Take some pressure off of Rex and carry the load a little better. Break something open.