1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cracking the Da Vinci Code

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by genesis12, Apr 5, 2006.

1. genesis12

genesis12 Member

All we Baptist theologians must always be prepared to state clearly the reason for the Hope within us. The Bible and the new book, Cracking the Da Vinci Code are two praiseworthy tools.

Dan Brown's book, The Da Vinci Code, and the movie coming out, need to be thoroughly and decisivly rebuked.

Don't leave your resources in the closet!

2. genesis12

genesis12 Member

I need to correct the title of the book. It is NOT Cracking the Da Vinci Code produced by Catholic Answers. It is Cracking Da Vinci's Code written by James L. Garlow.

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good resource. I would also like to point folks to a book by one of my favorite historical Jesus scholars Dr Darrell Bock (of Dallas Seminary) called "Breaking The DaVinci Code". I would also suggest a dvd set by Dr Ed Hindson of Liberty University. The set is called "The DaVinci Code Deception". There are two dvds. On the first Dr Hindson is speaking to students at Liberty University on the problems with the novel. Then, on the other dvd, there is a round table discussion with Dr Ed Hindson, Dr Ergun Caner, Dr Elmer Towns, and Dr Dan Mitchell (great teachers, each). This is a wonderful resource for the person who is curious about this issue (and who does not have a strong background in church history and/or New Testament studies). I would also recommend it for someone who has a strong background in those subjects (it is a great sermon).

Above that I would advise everyone to become a student of CHURCH HISTORY. Why? Because if one knows church history one will not be mislead by Brown's unhistorical claims. So a healthy knowledge of church history is also good to have.

There are many good church history books out there. Since I don't have room/time to list them all I will list three good general introduction books.

The first book is a two book set by Justo Gonzalez. The books are titled "The Story of Christianity Volume I" and "The Story of Christianity Volume II". Both can be purchased from Amazon.com.

The second book is "Turning Points: Decisive Moments In The History of Christianity" by Mark Noll. Again this can be purchased from Amazon.com.

The final book is "Christianity Through The Centuries" by Earle Cairns. This book also can be purchased from Amazon.com.

Above all of that I would advise a person to DAILY be in the Word of God, for His Word is truth. If you are spending time with Jesus every day in prayer and in His Word you are less likely to be mislead by Brown's deception.

In Christ,
    Martin.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

With the movie soon to come out, there is also a pamphlet guide to the movie put out by Campus Crusade for Christ that can be used to go through with someone who is interested in or believes some of the things said. They also have a book by Josh MacDowell. Go to:
    http://www.campuscrusade.com/DaVinciquest/

An article from Probe Ministries:
    http://www.probe.org/content/view/1134/173/

I have some resources and links listed here from my site:
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_DaVinciCode.html

Martin, thanks for the list of books!

5. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Thanks, Martin & Marcia! Couldn't ask for a better response!

6. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist New Member

All good resources. One thing I would suggest. Read the original book. The DaVinci Code is very well written and will keep you up late reading it.

It is also very badly researched historically and theologically. The premise is laughable and there are a lot of holes in the logic. But, if you want to refute something, it is more intellectually honest if you have actually read it.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I have read the book but I did not enjoy reading it. It was too marred by attacks on Christ and on Christianity.

However, I agree, Calvibaptist, that it would be good to read the book if you think you will be dealing with co-workers or neighbors or family that might believe some of it. And a lot of people do. The book brings up a lot of old attacks on the church, such as the Gnostic gospels, which have been gaining ground in the past few years among academics, liberal theologians, and others into alternative spiritualities. The attacks are not going away.

8. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member