1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

crazy stuff related to marriage in the bible talked about even less

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by corndogggy, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, everything in the Bible is "interesting" to me. God had the Holy Spirit lead someone to write all those lineages. The fact that God put them there for a reason is in and of itself interesting.

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm just saying what the bible says. [personal attack removed]

#22 corndogggy, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  3. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [offensiveness removed]

#23 corndogggy, Apr 16, 2009
  4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

G3404
    μισέω
    miseō
    mis-eh'-o
    From a primary word μῖσος misos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension to love less: - hate (-ful).

Do you think Jesus meant that we must love everyone else less than Him?

I think so.

Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Why would you assume I can't tell you? :)

God made one man and one woman. He gave Adam one woman, Eve.

Mar 10:7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
    Mar 10:8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.

The twain means two. But as is man's nature, he takes what God gives and messes it up.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Corndog, this is pretty basic stuff. I have to wonder why you don't believe it. Why is is so hard for you to accept?

It seems that you're not seeking answers, but rather you want to prove the bible wrong. Maybe I've misunderstood you.

7. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What have I pointed out in this thread that I don't believe or can't accept?
    Most things I accept just fine if I know where they are and don't think somebody has a crackpot interpretation.

Do I accept that these things happened? Sure I do. That's the scary part. :)

[offensive portions edited]

#27 corndogggy, Apr 16, 2009
  8. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All that says is that when a man and a woman are married, the two will become one flesh. It never says that a man cannot marry a second wife, in which they'd be one flesh as well.

If that second sentence doesn't make any sense, consider 1 Corinthians 6:16
    "What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh."

This says that you don't have to be married for the two to become one flesh. It also doesn't say that this can't be true if you are already married and are cheating, since you and your wife are already one flesh... you and the harlot are one flesh no matter what. So basically the "one flesh" argument about only having one wife is meaningless.

#28 corndogggy, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

CD: Me thinks you need to let the Holy Spirit read the Bible WITH you. You are taking things out of context. I think it might behoove you to buy a good commentary.

I will just comment on a couple of verses since it is WAY past my bedtime.

Deuteronomy 13: Husbands rarely even tried to prove this because the parents of the bride gathered up the 'sheets' and kept them as proof. You need to read all of the surrounding verses, not just the parts that make the Bible look bad.

Luke 14:26 The Bible does not contradict itself and Jesus told the husband he was to love his wife as Christ loves the Church. You have misconstrued his meaning in Luke.

Terms which define the emotions or affections are frequently comparative. Natural affection is to be, as compared with the Christian's devotedness to Christ, as IF it were hate. See Matthew 12:47-50, where Christ illustrates this principle in His own Person.

As far as Mark 10:29-30 goes, read Luke 18:29-30 and Chronicles 25:9. I see no place in those verses where Jesus 'tells' men to abandon their families. In fact, He said that men who do not take care of their families are worse than infidels.

I have noticed when you post that most of the time you do not capitilize Bible. That isn't giving God's Word much respect....do you think?

If you are picking out just one verse, you can make it say anything you want. You have to take it in context and compare it with other verses to see what it really means.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree it is there for a reason, but unless one is adamantly going through lineages purposefully, it is not interesting reading.

11. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh if only there were more important things to worry about...

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fair enough, how about 3 entire chapters then? Am I taking Judges 19, 20, and 21 out of context to make the bible look bad?

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Personal attack deleted]

#33 corndogggy, Apr 17, 2009
  14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy 22;&version=9;

There is the entire chapter, plenty of surrounding verses. What is in the surrounding verses that makes this out of context? The surrounding verses change the subject and are not a continuation or explanation of this section. Before this section it's talking about not hitching up oxes and asses together, and not sewing linen and wool together. Afterwards it's talking about how you should kill rapers, and kill both a man and woman if they are found together and the woman is married. This is a very poor example if you want to tell me to read all of the surrounding verses. It's not Deuteronomy 13 either, it's Deuteronomy 22.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible illustrates clearly how low man can God when he turns his back on God and how he is raised up with a relationship with God.

16. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The next verse says he walked in the sins of his father. That sounds like what he did was condemned. Paul also condemns a man (I Cor) for taking his stepmother as a wife.
    He discourages to say a person is better off being totally committed to God without having additional responsibilities associated with family. He does not forbid it, nor does he even condemn marriage.
    Cutural situation here that has already been addressed.
    Fulfilling the prophecy that the concequences of David's own sin concerning Uriah the Hittite would be that the sword would never leave his house.
    Out of context nonsense. The passage concerns support for widows. The "condemnation" Paul speaks of is breaking the conditions of accepting church support.
    Narrative scripture sometimes simply tells us what happened.
    Exodus 21:20 "And if a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished."

Well, for the life of me, I don't see anything there about taking a second wife. However, I don't wear the same glasses that you do. The ones that let you see what you want to see.
    I'm not surprised that you don't know these passages refer to the same people.
    Isn't it amazing how God can still bring about His purposes despite all the flawed human beings He chose for His purposes?
    More out of context nonsense. From Num. 25:1+ "While Israel remained at Shittim, the people began to play the hrlot with the daughters of Moab. (2) For they invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods. (3) So Israel joined themselves to Baal of Peor, and the LORD was angry against Israel...

(6) Then behold, one of the sons of Israel came and brought to his relatives a Midianite woman, in the sight of Moses and in the sight of all the congregation of the sons of Israel, while they were weeping at the doorway of the tent of meeting. (7) When Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he arose from the midst of the congregation and took a spear in his hand...

The people were being punished with plague because they had turned from Almighty God and embraced a false god, and were joining in marriage with women of the land that was corrupting the worship of Almighty God.
    Not only that, Jesus said she is committing adultery and her new husband is committing adultery.

God hates divorce. We'd be better off if we listened to God.
    Twas never "ok" for men to abandon their wives. The laws concerning divorce found in the O.T. were given because of the hardness of men's hearts.
    Out and out lie. The passage concerns loving Him so much that even if they lost their families, they could never abandon Christ. And Jesus does not ever say we'll have wives in heaven, He says the opposite.
    same as above
    The passage is given to PROTECT A WOMAN FROM SUCH AN ACT! You are attempting to make the passage support this evil, when it does just the opposite.

Shame on you.

peace to you:praying:

17. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well ... I simply fat-fingered the keyboard... it's verse 10, not 20. Please forgive me o wise one.

Exodus 21:10 "If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish."

#37 corndogggy, Apr 17, 2009
  18. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Out of all the biblical explanations I've heard, this one has me the most curious. Somebody please explain this one. I don't see how you're arriving at that, but then again, I don't wear the same glasses that you do.

#38 corndogggy, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2009
  19. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 10:29-30 KJV -
    "And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life."

NIV: "I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields—and with them, persecutions) and in the age to come, eternal life."

[offensive comments removed]

#39 corndogggy, Apr 17, 2009
  20. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one is wise, but Almighty God above.

This looks like it says a man can't just "abandon" his wife (actually says woman and may be referring to a slave woman), as you have accused scripture of supporting in other passages.

Seems like God was attempting to protect the women from evil men.

peace to you:praying:

#40 canadyjd, Apr 17, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.