1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cream of tartar and vinegar

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Gina B, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

These are items common in any cook's kitchen! Cream of tartar is used in baking, in eggs, and for a variety of other goods, along with household cleaning.

Vinegar is a basic ingredient of salad dressing and is present in a number of store bought products.

However, when bought in stores, both are by-products of wine and the fermentation process.

How does the staunch believer in alcoholic drinks as sin get around the use of products marketed from fermentation processes?

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I never heard of anyone getting addicted to vinegar or cream of tartar, nor anyone under the influence of those substances causing hurt to themselves or another.

3. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well Gina, you might as well ask them if they eat bread.

Yeast is yeast and the same fermentation process that creates alcoholic drinks makes our dinner rolls light and fluffy.

Using that same logic most of our pharmaceuticals would be sinful. After all I can take my decongestant and make meth, so should I get rid of my cold medicine? Prescription pain killers are abused on a regular basis, so should I refuse them after surgery?

It is the use or misuse of anything that makes it sinful, not its existence. I can use a baseball bat to play baseball, or I can use it to bash you in the head. Because it could be used in a sinful way should I get rid of it?

Hey I can take a pack of bread yeast, some sugar, and some koolaid and make some nasty home brew that will get you drunk as a skunk (ok, I was a drunk once). But that does not follow that I must throw away all my yeast, sugar, and koolaid.

Lets use some common sense.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

By being ignorant of that fact.

5. Fox

Fox New Member

Maybe it because Cream of tartar and Vinegar are not forbidden in the Word of God like alcohol is?

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

True, but I'm offering the perspective (which is not my personal belief) of having to make what many consider a sinful substance in order to gain a non-sinful one.

If it's sinful to drink wine, wouldn't it be sinful to make it? If it's sinful to make it, wouldn't it be sinful to use the byproducts of making it?

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preach it! I know I avoid all grocery items packaged in aluminum and glass.
    You know those recyclers do not separate out the beer cans and wine bottles.

8. THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN New Member

I must have missed that verse. Could you please list chapter and verse for me. thanks.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's in the book of 2 Opinions

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...so the basis of what is sinful is if one can get addicted to it? I guess sex is sinful, since there are sex addictions, internet's sinful since people get addicted to it, and even food is sinful, since there are food addictions.

11. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Although I am one who does not drink for I do not want to offend a weak brother, this thread does a very poor job of defending a stance on the issue. Maybe i am missing the point. If so, please disregard my ignorance.

12. Fox

Fox New Member

I must have missed that verse. Could you please list chapter and verse for me. thanks.
    Why? So you can moch the Word of God? I am pretty sure you know the verses well.....you just don't believe them.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...or we don't believe YOUR interpretation (because that's just what it is...yours) of those verses.

14. Fox

Fox New Member

I guess I am mistaken......I thought this was a Baptist Board, a fundamental Baptist Board? What "other" interpretation do you get out of Pro 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Gina,

Would it be sinful to cook with any alcohol? No, it cooks off. However the wine, beer, bourbon, rum et. al flavor the food but the alcohol will cook off. It is the alcohol that's evil.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, this is a misconception. I finally did some research one day and found out this information from the USDA:

Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
    alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
    alcohol flamed 75%
    no heat, stored overnight 70%
    baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
    baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
    * 15 minutes - 40%
    * 30 minutes - 35%
    * 1 hour - 25%
    * 1.5 hours - 20%
    * 2 hours - 10%
    * 2.5 hours - 5%

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to BB, Fox! Yes, this is a Baptist Board and most of us are fundamentalist in our leanings. However to be fundamentalist doesn't mean that we are against alcohol. I personally use alcohol to cook (fully knowing it doesn't all cook off as is the common miscconception) and choose to not drink for our ministry (my husband is a pastor and also works with college students - and I'm a mom of teens), but we both know that there is nothing wrong with having a drink here and there. Scripture has some strong words about the misuse of alcohol but alcohol use is not prohibited in Scripture. Culturally we know that alcohol was around and consumed by all in Bible times.

Gina has a point, though. For those who take a strong stance against all alcohol (one member does not even use cold medicines or vanilla extract because of it's alcohol content), do they take the same stance against all substances that are side products of alcohol? If alcohol is evil, then so should the other things produced at the same time or in the same way.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not the same conclusion as you. Clearly this is about abuse of alcohol.

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so.
    from Jeremiah 35:
    And I set before the sons of the house of the Rechabites pots full of wine, and cups, and I said unto them, Drink ye wine. But they said, We will drink no wine . . . . we obeyed the voice of Jonadab the son of Rechab our father in all that he hath charged us, to drink no wine all our days, we, our wives, our sons, nor our daughters . . . . And Jeremiah said unto the house of the Rechabites, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Because ye have obeyed the commandment of Jonadab your father, and kept all his precepts, and done according unto all that he hath commanded you: Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Jonadab the son of Rechab shall not want a man to stand before me for ever.

20. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Ah, but the reward wasn't for not drinking. The reward was for obedience to their father. And I'll just bet you the next glass of wine, that there was a reason (besides not wanting drunks for sons) tha Rechab told them not to drink. But I'm not looking it up tonight.

Good try though.

btw, I don't drink either, but not because I think it sinful. I simply don't like the smell or taste. I do cook with it occassionally.