1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Credible Online Degree Programs

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang,

There have been several on the BB who were wanting DL education programs. I just the other day ran across some accredited program(s). A colleague send me a book to critique for the Evangelical Theological Society. He teaches at the Columbia International University and Seminary.

For all of those seeking to further their education, it had some good-looking online programs at the Master's level.

FYI!!

sdg!

rd

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Could you give us a site address please?

3. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

Check this out:

It is at http://www.ciu.edu/

Copy and paste this into your web browser.

I hope that helps. I was somewhat impressed. I have just now finished a book review for the JETS journal and was talking by email to one of the profs there. He is a "big whig" in the academic world and let me do some work, so I was pleased to put another line on my CV.

Check it out and get back to me either by private post or here on the BB. Let me know what you think. I remember our shared love for non-traditional Christian Ed.

sdg!

rd

4. bro_ken128

bro_ken128 New Member

Is it accredited by a government sponsored(recognized) agency or a private accrediting association. What about the cost? most or them are quite pricey.

5. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Columbia has been around for a long time. They are pricey, $325 per graduate hour. Its not the most expensive. There are some extensive residency requirements as well.

There are better distance learning schools available, but on another note, CIU is located in the great state of South Carolina.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

You may want to check out Global University at the following website: http://www.globaluniversity.edu/

I understand that they have just achieved accreditation with the North Central Association, a regional accreditor. They have been around for quite sometime and they have had long term DETC accreditation. The interesting thing is that they are offering a new M.Div. entirely via distance learning. The only other accredited M.Div. without some residency is from Southern Christian University, a Church of Christ school, and I would not recommend it. Liberty offers an online M.Div. but I believe some residency may be required. Global University and its sister school, Berean School of the Bible, have been in the distance education business for a long time. Their tuition has always been very reasonable too. The only drawback is that these are Assembly of God schools and they teach the Pentecostal doctrine. I suppose a good Baptist could get a degree from them without being corrupted.
    [​IMG]

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==That is correct. Liberty's MDiv is offered online. While Liberty is a great school it has some weaknesses on this point. Let me explain. First their distance MDiv does not have but two language courses (one Greek, one Hebrew) and those are only language tools courses (they have no plans to add more language courses to the dlp program for now, though it has been discussed). This means that a graduate for their MDiv (online) program would not be qualified to enter their ThM program (or any other advanced program). Of course one could attend regular courses on campus and earn the language courses if needed. Secondly only one MDiv concentration can be earned 100% online (Church Ministries). All other online concentrations require some on campus time due to the fact that all the classes are not yet offered online (this would include the Biblical Studies, Leadership, Evangelism, and Pre-Pastoral concentrations). However Liberty has no residency requirements for online students. I guess it is sort of a catch-22.

Martin

8. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Paidagogos, I'm curious about Global's RA accreditation. They don't mention it on their website. I wonder if North Central association of colleges has a blurb about it? I'm glad to hear it though. I've also heard some good things about them. Their graduate programs look rather rigorous.

9. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

10. Plain Old Bill

Dear Rhet,
    I took a general look,then I paid attention to the DL portion of thier site.They have some good courses in there and it looks like they are well developed on the surface.I guess the best way to really be able to tell how good the courses really are is to take a couple and find out first hand.

I recently found out that Dr. Elmer Towns and some of his associates had the idea we had earlier. They have plans to offer 125 courses to foriegn pastors at no cost and they have about 40 courses online as we speak together this evening.This thrills my soul.God answers prayer even before we pray it.

At present I am teaching myself greek.After I do then I will gotake a couple of courses just to see how well I did and get a little smarter.

It is nice to see you are doing well and keeping busy.Are you still teaching?

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

I am still teaching. At college, I am teaching 2 World Religions courses (one of which is online), 2 Literature of the Bible (Bible Interpretation), and one Speech Fundamentals course this trimester. (If I teach a 'Speech Fundamentals' course, does that make me a 'Fundamentalist?' HA!?).

I am (the working) co-editor of a book of scholarly essays on John A. Broadus. He was one of the four founders of The Southern Baptist Seminary now in Louisville, KY. where Al Mohler is now the president.

I am teaching a survey of Church History to my men's SS class. A 13 week textbook that will probably take close to a year by the time we examine all of the doctrines/heresies that are scared up along the way.

I have a young mentee/protege minister who cannot go to seminary that I mentor online through the The Southern Baptist Founder's Academy. I am helping him work through "Preaching & Preachers" w/D. Martyn LLoyd-Jones, which is also the name of the course. We are also using "Between Two Worlds" by John RW Stott and "The Primacy of Preaching" by John Piper.

I have just read a scholarly book on OT ethical methodology. I wrote a critical book review on it for The Evangelical Theological Society Journal (JETS) and submitted that for publication. It is supposed to appear in the Spring issue.

I had two book reviews published in the NABPR this past Fall.

Lastly but not leastly (poor grammar but I thought it was funny), a local inner-city SBC church has called me and invited me "to preach in view of a call." It would be a permanent part-time or bi-vocational situation.

Not to sound sarcastic, but you could say that I am "still teaching."

Stay by the stuff! Get all the education you can. I appreciate your friendship as always.

sdg!

rd

12. Brice

Brice New Member

Rhet,

You are one busy hombre! :D Thanks for the info.

13. Plain Old Bill

I would at leastly say you are still teaching.Tell me how it goes with the SBC church.You are as always in my prayers.

Bill

14. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

Say some more about what you mean, "Tell me how it goes with the SBC church."? I will be glad to fill in the blanks if you are a bit more specific.

Do you mean for me in my little part of the vineyard, or the SBC in general?

sdg!

rd

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Rhetoritician wrote:

PRAISE GOD! I love Broadus. I love to read all I can on Broadus. I believe that no new real work on preaching has been written since his seminal "Treatise on the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons." He will eventually likely be the topic of my doctoral dissertation someday, when God allows me to resume. Not kidding, I have a portrait that contains Broadus on my wall [​IMG]

I am very excited about seeing this new work. When will it be available?

16. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    TomVols,

We hope to have it available for the 2007 SBC annual national convention.

I would say more but cannot b/c some of the scholars would not want me to "drop their names," if you know what I mean? I will say; with the exception of myself, you will not be disappointed with the level of scholarship of the work. Is is based around the lasting legacy of Broadus in SBC life. I am working in the area(s) of Broadus' contribution in/with Rhetoric in "A Treatise on the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons."

Pray for us as I try to uphold my duties as the (working) co-editor. I have a lot of work to do but not much expertise. And there is also my chore to get my writing up to par with all of these other world class scholars.

Contact me via email, [email protected] or call me @ 901.752.4580 and we will talk further about the project if you want?

sdg!

rd

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet,

I think that CIU requires resident coursework. I do not know of any ATS acredited M.Div.'s by pure DL. There are only a few accredited pure DL M.Div.'s (they are regionally accredited).

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Paidagogos, I'm curious about Global's RA accreditation. They don't mention it on their website. I wonder if North Central association of colleges has a blurb about it? I'm glad to hear it though. I've also heard some good things about them. Their graduate programs look rather rigorous. </font>[/QUOTE]They are in the initial candidacy stage. Perhaps I overstated their position. See below.
    http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=93&Itemid=0

19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

PRAISE GOD! I love Broadus. I love to read all I can on Broadus. I believe that no new real work on preaching has been written since his seminal "Treatise on the Preparation and Delivery of Sermons." He will eventually likely be the topic of my doctoral dissertation someday, when God allows me to resume. Not kidding, I have a portrait that contains Broadus on my wall [​IMG]

I am very excited about seeing this new work. When will it be available?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Broadus' little book on the history of preaching is probably even better. It is strange that so few people seem to know about it. Perhaps it is because it is no longer in print and the "Delivery of Sermons" has been reprinted often. If you can find an old copy of the history, you'll pay $50 or more. Go to a good theological library and look up the history. You'll find it interesting.

20. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Thanks. That is good news indeed. That book on the history of preaching sounds great.