1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Critic Says Islamic Extremism Gets Whitewashed in American Textbooks

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An education expert is warning that some American textbooks present a biased view of Islam and offer a sugarcoated picture of Islamic extremism, a trend that has parents worried about what's being taught in public schools.

In numerous history textbooks, "key subjects like jihad, Islamic law, the status of women are whitewashed," said Gilbert T. Sewall, director of the American Textbook Council, an independent group that reviews history books and other education materials.

Cindy Ross, the mother of a junior high school student in Marin County, Calif., said she couldn't believe her eyes when she read her son's textbook last school year.

"I was very shocked by what I saw, looking through the book," she said — shocked at how Islam was portrayed in her son's seventh grade history text.

More Here

2. BigBossman

BigBossman Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We wouldn't want to teach kids all the bad stuff about Islam, like being allowed to beat your wife within an inch of her life, killing infidels, or having a bomb strapped to your chest so you can blow yourself up with the other infidels.

One reason why I wouldn't be a good muslim is because I'd be worried that when I pray, that I would be facing the wrong direction. My question is when they are in Mecca & they pray, what direction do they have to face then? Does it even matter?