1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Critical Texts?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by nate, Jan 7, 2006.

?
  1. Just Critical Texts!

56.3%
  2. Use Many Texts!

21.9%
  3. Use just the TR!

21.9%
  4. Use the Byzantine Text!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If I can find the link, I'll post it. There is a list of some of the changes, but I didn't save the link after I looked at it.

2. nate

nate New Member

I think a I would like the Robinson/Pierpont Byzantine Greek NT and the NA 28th Edition. I consider both those to be excellent. I "personally" care nothing for the TR. Although I believe a translation team should reference it.

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

NA/28...
    NA/29...
    NA/30...
    and more...

UBS/5...
    UBS/6...
    UBS/7...
    and more...

Each update of them will be coming in the future. What do you think?

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Erasmus 1516 TR
    Erasmus 1519 TR
    Erasmus 1522 TR
    Erasmus 1527 TR
    Erasmus 1535 TR

Stephanus 1546 TR
    Stephanus 1549 TR
    Stephanus 1550 TR
    Stephanus 1551 TR

Beza 1565 TR
    Beza 1575 TR
    Beza 1582 TR
    Beza 1590 TR
    Beza 1598 TR
    Beza 1600 TR
    Beza 1602 TR
    Beza 1603 TR
    Beza 1604 TR

Elzevir 1624 TR
    Elzevir 1633 TR
    Elzevir 1644 TR
    Elzevir 1656 TR
    Elzevir 1665 TR
    Elzevir 1671 TR
    Elzevir 1678 TR

Ximenis 1522 TR

Scrivener 1881 TR
    Scrivener 1883 TR
    Scrivener 1884 TR
    Scrivener 1886 TR
    Scrivener 1890 TR
    Scrivener 1908 TR

Each one of them is different. What do you think?

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I think that's what the KJV translators had in mind: Taking the existing work and building upon it, as we find new things.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I voted for many texts, myself. I'm not sure I can properly evaluate the weight of many as could Beza, Scrivner, Westcott, Hort, et al, as well as many of you probably can. I tend to be generally 'Majority Textist', I guess, or at least toward a majority of texts. I would note that most of this discussion seems to concern the NT text, as I've seen no reference to any OT text. Critical texts are certainly important, and I'd offer that all mentioned are 'critical' to some degree- some more than others. Unlike most of my remarks, these will have no attempt at humor, as I offer a couple of related comments. I would offer that it seems that while most of us may have a lack of critical texts readily available, we seldom have a lack of critical Christians. I suggest that we could do with fewer of the second. I remember a wise statement I once heard, but don't remember who said it, and didn't realize how wise it was, at the time. He said, "The Bible has suffered more at the hands of its friends than it has from its enemies." IMO, well said.
    In His grace, Ed

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

For what it's worth, there seem to be fewer variations in the Hebrew text, due to the pains they took to copy them accurately. Manuscripts dated hundreds of years apart are identical. (Then, we also have the LXX to compare.)

The NT, however, did not have the oversight the OT texts did, and we can see many differences. Many of the differences are due to marginal notes being added to the body of the text. Those are easy to cull out sometimes. Others, such as those in 1 John 5:7-8, were intentionally inserted. Although we have record of that, many people are unwilling to let them go.

That's one reason that I trust scholars (but even they can be fallible) to cull through the manuscripts. I like the NA text, but there are others that are quite reliable.

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What "record" do we have of textual variants having been inserted in the longer textforms?

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The words of Erasmus, who recorded how he was coerced into inserting them.

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hope of Glory, I am sorry but somebody has deceived you. The story of the so-called "Comma challenge" is a myth. Even Bruce Metzger, in the latest edition of The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption and Restoration, page 282, admits he was in error concerning the so-called "promise" Erasmus was alleged to have made. Erasmian scholar H.J. de Jonge has completely exposed that as a myth. Moreover there is some, albeit slim, manuscript evidence to support the comma. There are other arguments that also support it. I am not defending the comma, but I think it is important not to make authoritative statements as you did when the issue is debatable and there are good people on both sides of the issue.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I would be interested in seeing a link to that, but I can find numerous studies by PhD's and other scholars pointing to the validity of the story. Now, I know this doesn't make it true, but the only references that I could find that refuted it in a quick Google were KJVO sites, except for de Jonge.

de Jonge may be correct, but I hesitate to disbelieve a story that one person says is not true, one person says there's insufficient evidence, and countless scholars say is true.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All those who say it was true were basing that belief on Metzger's book. When he found out he erred, being an honest man, he corrected his error in the next addition. Unfortunately, many of the authors who based their statements on his lack his high level of integrity.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Several of the links I found were based on other information that Metzger's work.

Still, I could believe either side of this issue.

14. mioque

mioque New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.