1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Criticizing Roman Catholicism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Now where did I say that? I was questioning your singling out of Catholicism was this particular criticism when it is self-evident that all churches suffer from this malaise. That is indeed rational.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

When I was saved, I was saved from sin, from a sinful and wicked world and its lifestyle, and to eternal life and forgiveness of sins in Christ. IOW, I trusted Christ as my Savior and my life changed. I never heard of the doctrine of eternal security or OSAS until three years later when I went to Bible College. I wasn't saved through a Baptist church. However, when I was saved I was immediately shown how one can "be assured of their salvation." The Bible says we can. Having an assurance of one's salvation is a wonderful thing. Later on I came to know that "being assured of one's salvation" is basically the same as "eternal security."

If Christ gave me eternal life then it is eternal. If it stopped at any time then it wouldn't be eternal, but temporary, and Christ would be a liar.

There are no sacraments in the Bible, but as has been rightly pointed out, only ordinances--two of them--baptism and the Lord's Table. Neither one of them are means of grace, but commands to be kept.
    I come from a Catholic background and I see the folly of sacraments and sacramental grace. It is not in the Bible or taught in the Bible. In fact that type of teaching is contrary to Biblical teaching. It is deeply rooted in a works-based salvation--a message that Paul called "accursed." For that very reason I left the RCC. Those who taught its message were accursed of God (Gal.1:8). I would rather follow the Bible instead.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: