1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Critique your "own camp"

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Spoudazo, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

That is, if you use Modern Versions, point out some things that could be improved by those of us who enjoy the modern versions.

If you are KJV-only, critique your own "camp" or side and tell what could be improved upon.

This thread is not for KJVOs to critque MV users or for MV users to critique KJVOs, just critique your side
    [​IMG]

I'll start obviously [​IMG]

I think many who use modern versions today are sometimes a little too "open" to certain versions. For example, the TNIV. I realize that there are a host of MV users who speak out against, but there is also those who just think of it as another "accurate" translation.
    Also, sometimes we totally disregard what someone in the KJVO or TR-only camp say just because the over-bearing thought to some of us is that they're just ignorant. I think we should listen to both sides, even if we don't agree at times, which obviously happens.

Ok, who is next? :D

*Again, critque YOUR SIDE or "camp" only please!*
    [​IMG]

2. natters

natters New Member

I think there are more translations available than are necessary.

3. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

I don't know how I missed that point! :eek: Yes, we're being inundated with too many translations! [​IMG] I think with some it's just a money thing :(

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too many translations...

However, there isn't really a popularly available version that represents the majority text.

Sometimes we non-KJVO's are guilty of burning the bridges by becoming condescending which helps to reinforce anti-intellectual biases.

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes we multiversionists will lump all one-versionists into one category, and yours truly has been found guilty of this more than once.

My solution:

A. Opem Mouth

B. Insert Foot

C. Chew Vigorously

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many times we stoop to the level of the other party. If someone engages in personal attacks, it is all to easy to dismiss what they might say and attack back.

7. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

As far as improvements......I would like to see study notes that would give one a frame of reference as to the customs of the day...

I am also suspicious of new translations until I have compared them to the "Old Faithfuls" (for me...NASB, NKJV)and Greek interlinear. I think that too many times we accept a translation as "good" just because it is new.

And, I'm with Roby in that sometimes I open my mouth just long enough to change feet. :D

8. csmith

csmith New Member

Hello, I am csmith and I am a KJV-aholic and have been for over 20 years.

Seriously, we fail to be honest sometimes about the 8 to 11 revisions of the AV 1611.

Also, many are guilty of only studying what an author says about the MV's rather than looking into the MV's themselves. We feel like having one in our home might make the walls come tumbling down.

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Praise the Lord! Everything is going well it seems. Hopefully we can **all** learn something from this [​IMG]

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! 2 It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.

Psalm 133:1-3

10. gopchad

gopchad New Member

As a strong KJV preferred I can say that the knee-jerk reaction to a Pastor using anything but the KJV is to label him a neo-evangelical. I would also criticise KJVO's as viewing users of "MV's" as not being right with God or 2nd rate Christians. I used to view it that way, and while my position on the KJB has not changed, I have come to see that good people with the exact same theology kill each other over this issue. Also, way too many KJVO quotes from sources who are multiple divorcee (How many of his wives were demon possessed), strange theology (everyone in heaven is a 32yr old male???), bitter men. PR, IMHO, has done more to turn men away from the KJV than any man I know. I personally detest his ministry. I hope that wasn't too critical.

Too much time spent shooting each other, and not enough time trying to charge the gates of hell together. My verse for BV's, that is, the one that allowed me to stop bickering and get to work is

(Rom 14:5) One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

In MY ministry I preach and teach only from the KJ. That is MY ministry, and the one I will answer to God for. What you use in your ministry and life is your business... that is... it is between you and God.

11. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Thanks for your testimony [​IMG]

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I would echo some of gopchad's comments.
    There are many more than just the one man in Florida. One was in Indiana. There are many other's scattered throughout this land. It seems their main argument is vitriol and venom. And we ALL know where venom comes from!

Too often men (and women [​IMG] ) on my side have "lost their savor" and are more of a hurt than a help.

Also, it seems that many will use a perceived position of men of old to support our position when in fact those very men of old never even considered this issue. Those men of old were more concerned with an accurate Bible rather than exclusivity of a particular translation. (I have slipped into this error myself at times)

Another view that I think is wrong from my side is this "We four and no more" mentality. It smacks of Phariseeism.

Graciousness is sadly lacking on my side also. Too often we get wrapped up in this issue and fail to grant liberty to our brethren to follow their own conscience as they are led of our LORD.

Also, many, many, times certain men on our side follow their leaders blindly and take the position of their pastors without question nor with any discernment. This is a grave error. For example, some very dear friends of mine take PR's doctrinal delusions as the be all and end all, without really looking at what is being taught.

Some will take the Scriptures and twist them to support their very unchristian attitudes. They then become clones of a man in Florida.

My errors? At times, all of the above.
    [​IMG]

My biggest error is in assuming that I got "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" without granting that perhaps my brother with whom I am conversing may have something of value I can learn from.
    For this, I am ashamed.

In HIS service;
    Jim

13. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Great thread! As another strong KJV preferred, I would echo much of what Jim and gopchad said. Too much of the KJ defense is just loud and ignorant. Ignoring facts like the revisions, etc. just causes the whole argument to lose credibility. Also, labeling other versions as Satanic, seeking to destroy doctrine, etc. IMHO, is ridiculous and has caused a real loss of true discussion of legitimate issues and differing viewpoints.

14. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Why, you have just earned my utmost respect: admission of guilt,concern over the multitude of contradictory "versions", but also that you admit that the entire ascertion is solely made upon a democratic view when concerning the Word of God!

And in those days, men did that which was right in their own eyes.

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Brother Ralph;
    This thread is not about YOU!

Care to comment on what YOU see as wrong in the KJVo camp?

THAT'S the purpose of this thread. Each man should critque HIS OWN camp. I have already given my views of MY camp. Maybe you should do the same and respect the OP's request to keep comments limited to the errors of one's own "camp".

So...lay off already!

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What do you do if you don't have a "camp" to critique ;) ?

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Critique them alllll.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I already stay in constant trouble with both "camps" as it is ;) [​IMG] .

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

ROFL

I don't seem to ... Not quite sure how, but maybe I am just good at two stepping ... [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Wayne;
    Short guys can't two step. ;)

In HIS service;
    Jim