1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crocheting/knitting. . .

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by JWade, Feb 24, 2006.

1. JWade

JWade New Member

I would like to learn how to do these, but I don't know anyone that knows how.
    Is there a way to teach yourself? :confused:
    Any suggestions from anyone?
    I just want to do it for a little relaxation and fun. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    JW
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

There are books on how to teach yourself at most craft stores. I do both, but like crocheting better -- not as much thinking involved.

3. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Check your local library for "how-to" videos. I have an easier time if I can see how, rather than just reading how.

I hope you can find a way to learn! It's really lots of fun, and you can really make cool stuff. Scarves are so in now, and you can make them really cheaply, and quickly, too!

Good luck. Let us know if you learn how! [​IMG]

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

You are right about those scarves! I pump those out during the winter. (along with baby blankets :D )

Right now I've got a pattern for a pancho. It may well be next year before I finish it though.

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Ooooh, a poncho! That would be fun. I'll have to look for a pattern, too!

JWade, I recommend starting with crochet. I think it's easier. Only one needle to deal with! Once you get the concept, learning new stitches is easy, so you can make all kinds of things.

Good luck!!

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

how embarrassing -- I misspelled poncho
    [​IMG]

I agree with Gwen. I can crochet in the dark (almost). Knitting I have to keep looking at my work while I'm going.

7. JWade

JWade New Member

[​IMG] I will definitely check out the library and thanks for suggesting crocheting first. I can't wait to get started! I am so excited!

Any pattern suggestions for a beginner?

Thank you for the help!

JW
    [​IMG]

8. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I think I'd recommend something small, like a scarf. Don't start with a tablecloth or afgan--you'll be overwhelmed. Try to find something with only one stitch--nothing fancy! Ask the sales person in the yarn department to recommend a pattern.

I wish I could recommend a specific pattern, but I can't. If you lived near me, I'd just have you over for tea and show you how!

Oh, I just remembered how I learned to crochet. We learned to make Granny Squares. They are really simple and fun. You can make them as large or small as you like, then they are sewn together to make scarves, tablecloths, etc. You can make anything with them. They're versatile and you won't be overwhelmed learning how to do it.

Good luck!!

9. JWade

JWade New Member

Thank you for the help. I will definitely try the granny squares or a scarf. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]