1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cron Jobs

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Jason Gastrich, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Jason Gastrich

Jason Gastrich New Member

Hi BB,

I need to run a cron job to do two things. First, I need one to run my awstats. Next, I need one to delete the urchin temp files.

Can anyone help with this? I can find the input place in CPanel, but I don't know the line of coding to entire to perform these functions.

Sincerely,
    Jason

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Is that English ;) ?

3. Jason Gastrich

Haha. Yeah, unfortunately it is and I guess it has even become part of my vernacular. I recently discovered what "cron jobs" were, though. It was a nice discovery . . . despite the fact I can't implement them, yet.

JG

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Can you explain a "cron job" to a computer dummy?

5. superdave

superdave New Member

first things first, what OS are we talking here, obviously some form of UNIX, but Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, there are subtle differences between the Cron daemon functionality

if you have a full install, you can probably type the command 'man cron' at the command prompt and get the manual page for cron. That is the way I get specific info on the functionality of a UNIX command.

6. superdave

superdave New Member

A Cron Job is a command, or series of commands in a script that can be set up by the system to run at a given time, repeatedly. Most UNIX based operating systems have a daemon called cron that checks a specific file (in solaris called crontab) that you can enter commands in.

You can specify, using a somewhat cryptic series of numbers, the day of the week, hour, and minute that you want the job to run. how often you want to repeat it, etc.

It can run any system command, with options, or it can run a shell script that you write.

7. Jason Gastrich

We run a Linux server.

Sincerely,
    Jason

8. Shammai

Shammai New Member

9. Jason Gastrich

Thanks for the link. I went there and I couldn't see how to do a cronjob for awstats. Any ideas?

I found something here: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/docs/awstats_faq.html . However, I can seem to configure it correctly. I keep getting cron errors emailed to me.

God bless,
    Jason

10. Shammai

Shammai New Member