1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cross Stitching

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by LillyoftheValley, Apr 20, 2012.

1. LillyoftheValley

LillyoftheValley New Member

I don't know how many women on BB enjoy cross stitching, but I happen to love it! Regularly I use what little free time I have at night after the kids have gone to bed to get a little further on whatever project I am currently on.
    http://www.colray-crafts.com/DimensionWebE/newhtm/big.php?ProductID=17665
    This one is for my second oldest daughter. She picked it out herself at Hobby Lobby (the greatest craft store EVER)

Just incase you happen to be an addict and for some reason haven't stumbled across this site, check out:

http://cross-stitchers-club.com/?code_avantage=nsubly

if you sign up you can download a free pattern every day. Some are good, some not so much, and some (while no good as a whole) have things within them I intend to use. Oh and if you sign up I get free points towards other downloads. Hope someone out there enjoys this/finds it helpful.

#1 LillyoftheValley, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I haven't crossed stitched in a long time but I have numerous pieces I have done in the past that are framed around my house. :)

3. LillyoftheValley

I hear that often from the women around me (my mother being one of them) and I wonder why that is. I know that life gets hectic, and there are far more important things than cross stitching, but if you're able to continue doing it when your kids are young... don't things get easier after that? or are all of the issues you faced with young children simply traded in for completely new challenges and the actual number of problems you are currently dealing with never changes. Do the challenges become more time consuming? In some ways I can't imagine children becoming more time consuming than they are now (infant/toddler). Wow, I'm really starting to get off my own topic. So anyways....

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Same here.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

It's the or you mentioned that is the issue. Plus my interests changed (and still are changing) and I have other hobbies now. I've also gotten a couple of degrees since the kids were little guys. it's hard to predict where God will lead you!

Nice to meet you btw !

Bitsy

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

For me, my "my" time is more limited. I now have older kids, younger kids, homeschool, am a pastor's wife, have a job at church and that sort of thing. I also just have other time fillers that filled in. I do have a piece that I started but need to finish - but honestly I'm not sure if I will anytime soon. I just lost my motivation to do it!

7. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I used to love to cross stitch. I still have a sampler that I did in high school, and a couple of pillows, etc. But I don't do it anymore because I don't see as well, and it gives me a headache. LOL Like many of the other ladies that posted, I have also moved on to other hobbies. :)

Nice to meet you, LilyoftheValley, and welcome!

8. LillyoftheValley

Thank you for your warm welcomes.
    Do any of you know younger women who cross stitch, do you believe it to be affectively dying out with simply a few (for a lack of a better term) "faithful followers" remaining, or do you think that, like just about everything else, it will eventually make a come-back?

With this I'm going to call it a night and turn in, :sleeping_2: but before I do...
    We have a "Friend Day" coming up at our church this Sunday where we have all invited everyone we know. The pastor has asked that I help bring other women to the Lord if help is needed... I absolutely am willing, but scared because this will be my first time. I know there's very little I can say to mess things up when someone is at the point, but pray for me anyway please :praying:

Thanks again everyone!

9. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

My daughter-in-law (age 28) does beautiful cross stitch pieces. It's her favorite hobby, and she does a very good job. Her grandmother taught her when she was a child. Who taught you to cross stitch?

Praying for you on Friend Day! :) I'm sure you will do just fine. :thumbs:

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Praying for you too. People are eager to feel wanted. I think friend day will be a great opportunity!

All the young people I know exercise instead of doing crafty hobbies. I can impress them to no end doing something I think is incredibly simple but then I remember they can't mend their pants or sew a button on. ;)

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am a keen thread worker, one of the joys of being single and living with a cat. I enjoyed checking out the sites posted by Lily OT Valley.

I do mostly angels and romantic ladies....from Mirabilia and Lavender and Lace. Where is Ocala?

I am in New Zealand which is the top of the world if your perspective is right:smilewinkgrin:

#11 Melanie, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2012
  12. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I used to love to cross stitch and I still have some unfinished projects ...

I find that getting set up too time consuming and fiddly. I prefer knitting now as I can pick it up and put it down with less fuss.

13. LillyoftheValley

My mother did. When I was about 8 or 9 my first project was a little sampler that said "be ye kind". I still have it in my hope chest.

Central part of Florida

That used to be a big complaint of mine as well, but I have managed to keep everything I need in one large craft bag that has all kinda of pockets. I use one pocket for scissors, one for my current thread, and one for thread I have used but need for backstitching. I find my system allows me to pick it up and put it down very quickly (Which is a must with the kids around).

I understand that it is not for everyone, but for me it can be a great way to wind down at the end of the day.

As for projects that I have done... I did one that was the first verse of "Holy Bible, Book Divine" with a bunch of flowers as a border, a sampler of ballet shoes and flowers that says "I love Dance" for a friend, and the last one I completed was the birth record for my oldest daughter
    http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/itemdetail.pl?item=k45328

BTW thank you all for your prayers, there were no ladies that came forward during our Friend Day, but the pastor has said that I am officially "on call" from here on out. :)