1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crown and Glory

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What should the position on 1 Corinthians 11:2-16 be? These verses deal with head coverings for women praying and a lack of head coverings for men praying. I assume prophecy in the church is a thing of the past.

1 Corinthians 11:2-16 NASB
    2 Now I praise you because you remember me in everything and hold firmly to the traditions, just as I delivered them to you. 3 But I want you to understand that [a]Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ. 4 Every man who has something on his head while praying or prophesying disgraces his head.

So, it appears men are not to wear hats or other head coverings while praying.

5 But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman [c]whose head is shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover [d]her head, let her also [e]have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to [f]have her hair cut off or [g]her head shaved, let her cover [h]her head.

It appears women should have their heads covered when praying.

7 For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8 For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man; 9 for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake. 10 Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

This is the reason given for these two controversial rules. It goes back to the created order. Man originates from God directly. Women originate from man and are designed for the man as a helpmate. This is the context given, along with a difficult to interpret reference to the angels.

11 However, in the Lord, neither is woman [j]independent of man, nor is man [k]independent of woman. 12 For as the woman [l]originates from the man, so also the man has his birth through the woman; and all things [m]originate from God.

A deeper truth is given here. Everything, including woman, originates from God. Man is also born of woman, despite woman originally originating from man. We see here some of God's wisdom pertaining to the created order.

13 Judge [n]for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him, 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering. 16 But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no [o]other practice, nor have the churches of God.

The church at Corinth is hammered home that men are to have no head covering in prayer and women are to have a head covering in prayer. Long hair on a man is even called a dishonor, while a woman's long hair is called a glory to her. Lastly, this principle is applied to all the churches in verse 16.

OK, this analysis shocks me. I see a key thing here.

1. These rules are clearly, by the text, not for the Corinthians alone. The created order is appealed to. All churches are mentioned as holding to these rules.

That said, the vast majority of churches do not practice these rules. Often because it is argued in study bibles that this text is only for the Corinthians, despite the scriptures within context that speak contrarily.

Now, considering the text, what should be the response of modern Christians? Is this just one of those rules in the bible we distrust due to the modern spirit of the age we live in? Are churches making a mistake currently when men wear hats when praying and when women have no symbol of authority on their head when praying? Is there a deeper cultural issue here that I am missing that applies to the whole Roman world?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Typically, when we pray, here in the South, men take off their head covers. We call them hats and caps, some cowboy and some baseball.

Don’t know about those north of the red river anymore. Some of them still think snow is fun and sing about recreational adventures involving snow and ice exciting.

Hair on women was (especially in the 1920’s though sixties) a matter of a statement of conformity or rebellion. Short hair (bobtail) started with the foolishness of the 20’s as rebelliousness to structures.

Then, in the 70’s, men started becoming effeminate and ladies flaunting their fleshly freedoms, so a lot of what used to be established as some guide or decorum became fodder for foolishness.

Long hair on men is a shameful sin.

What Paul taught the Corinthians should still be practiced.

How can we sing about an “Easter Parade” if the men are the only ones in hats?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist

4. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a member of a Baptist Church that holds to the Sisters having uncut hair and the men cutting their hair. This has been a practice among the Old Regular Baptist for many years. Ezekiel 44:20 The keeping of Men's hair short is a very old practice even in the Old Testament . Likewise to shave a woman's head was a disgrace inflected by tormentors. I know of no other group of Baptist that still hold to this practice, unless it would be the JJ kk

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. old regular

old regular Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the Old United Baptist . There are some Old Baptist that hold to a physical covering as well.

6. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some people say that the wedding band in the West signifies the headship of the man

it is seen as expensive ie gold etc