1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crown College

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by GodsAmbassador, Jul 15, 2005.

1. GodsAmbassador

GodsAmbassador New Member

Is anyone here either going or has gone to Crown College in Powell, TN? Just curious...I'm headed there next month! I am majoring in missions, and am really excited about all that God is going to do in my life!

2. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Hey Congratulations! Crown is a great college. I have many friends that have went there and they absolutely loved it. I'm sure you will love it! [​IMG]

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I have known a few people who went there. I am glad you are sensitive to what God would have you to do, and I hope you remain faithful to him.

Crown would not be near the top of my list of colleges to recomend, based on what I know, and personal experience (from those I have met, I did not attend personally).

My suggestion to those who wish to serve Lord in a full time ministry, is to get a balanced Chrsitian liberal arts degree, then go off to a sound conservative Seminary.

Nevertheless I hope things work out for you. God bless.

4. Libero

Libero New Member

Why did you decide to attend Crown?

5. GodsAmbassador

I was at their annual Youth Congress last year, and I felt like that was where God wanted me to go. You can definitely tell the Spirit of God is there, and is speaking through Clarence Sexton and the other speakers. I know some on here are against Crown College, but the main thing is, is it the Lord's will to attend that college? Because if it is, then we must do it, no matter what someone else thinks of it. Anyways, before I start a lecture or something here, i hope that answers your question! I am really excited about going, got my orientation pack yesterday, and am so excited at all God is going to do.

6. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

GA,

I am glad you want to serve Christ, we need young people who are willing to do that. Just be sure that it is where God really wants you and you are not going because of the emotional appeals of men.

How do you know that Crown is where God wants you? Did you compare it too and consider other institutions?

7. GodsAmbassador

I have been to Northland BBC and Maranatha BBC on a college tour a couple years ago, and they are also good colleges. However, neither places is where God wants me. How do I know Crown is where God wants me? It's hard to explain, but I just "know". Also, due to just getting off the low road and back on the high road, I want to have friends who are like-minded, and also want to study the Bible and talk about God. Everytime I go down to Temple Baptist or Crown, God always works in my life, and I am 100% sure that's where He wants me to be.

8. GodsAmbassador

Let me also add, in case there is any doubt, that I have prayed about Crown as well.

9. servant-96

servant-96 New Member

Have you seen their church web site:
    faithforthefamily.com

10. GodsAmbassador

Yes! it's a really good site!

11. Libero

Libero New Member

I think it is great that you want to serve the Lord and I wish you the best at Crown.

I would warn against being "feelings based". If that is how you determine God's will, you will never finish college, you will not have a happy marriage and you will become quickly burned out in the Lord's ministry. God has given us the ability to make wise decisions based on fact and biblical principles - there is nothing spooky about the leading of the Holy Spirit. He does not guide us with "feelings" that may also be considered special revelation.

I chose my college because it was strong academically, had strong standards, promoted ministry in the local church and had a strong athletic program.

I love my wife and I believe that God chose her for me based on her love for Christ, her personality traits that complement mine and the fact that she is beautiful. However, there are times when I "feel" like she is not the one for me - but I never consider those feelings as the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Feelings don't last. Logical convictions based on facts will stand the test of time. I did not mean to lecture you - just be purposeful and perseverant!

12. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well put libero, I couldn't have put it better myself.

13. GodsAmbassador

I agree with you on the feelings. If I was going on feelings, I would have already quit after seeing how much I have to have upfront at registration. BUT, God is able, and I know He will provide! But this is something I made a decision about a year ago, even before I got saved, and then after I got saved, I still knew that this was where God wanted me, in order to grow in Him, and study His Word, and make friends that help me in my walk with the Lord. My parents also want this for me, and I have to honor them, even when I don't feel like it. I haven't always "felt" like I wanted to go, but I knew that was where God wanted me.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am assumeing that for GA all of the hard measurable qualities are equal. So, going with a gut feeling is not all that bad. Though, I'd take a moment and reflect. Is there any thing he could put his finger on that went into this decision process?

15. Libero

Libero New Member

Personal feelings or preferences are perfectly valid, AFTER concrete pros and cons are evaluated.

So many bad decisions are made on the basis of a feeling, an emotion or gastric discomfort. [​IMG]

Squire, you and I are fellow alumni. Lo, He Cometh!

16. Kidz-4-HIM

Kidz-4-HIM New Member

I'm going starting there this fall as well.
    Just can't wait!

17. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

GA,

When I was a senior in high school, some older students went out of state for their first year at a good Christian college. The following summer I asked one "Was there anything about the school that disappointed you?" He thought for a moment and then answered "the people."

I'm sure that God can do great things for you at Crown College, but just remember: those other students are just as human as you are, so pray for them (and yourself) and keep your eyes on Jesus, not on them.

18. superdave

superdave New Member

Libero,
    Another Crusader Alum eh? There are a great many of us here on the board, or at least a few loud ones perhaps (No offense to the Squire meant for sure). Of course, head over to the other thread where we are discussing the political incorrectness of that Mascot.

Welcome to the Board.

19. shannonL

shannonL New Member

Crown is a good school in its own right.
    You will learn what you need get equipped for ministry.
    I went to a good IFB school they taught me from a dispensational view of Scripture which is fine. I hold to some of that view. But one thing they also did was try and teach me that anybody that wasn't a dispensationalist was not to be trusted. Now they didn't teach it as a class per say but that is how you got the drift.
    I then went to a SBC seminary and was taught by some Reformed Theologians. I learned church history from a view other than a dispensational view. Which was a trememdous blessing.
    In a school like Crown you will never read about Luther or Zwingli or Calvin or even Jonanthan Edwards. Which will be a disservice to you.
    I'm a IFB but I'm glad I got my theological horizons expanded by studying other views besides just dispensationalism alone.
    I'm just saying there is alot of good books, men etc... within christendom that you won't be exposed to at a IFB school like Crown. Yet, I still think it is a fine school that is training fine people. Just don't be afraid to explore all that church history has to offer not just the dispensational view which you will be taught.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Remember the christian life is a marathon not a race. Enjoy College because the rubber hits the road when your called to that first work.

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Papa Doc Cedarholm used to say, "A Maranatha preacher boy shold be able to preach, pray or die on a moments notice." Though I add, "And thanks to Dr. DeGraw, lead congregational singing."