1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifix

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Daniel1654, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

What is the consensus on wearing the crucifix as jewelery?
    A symbol of ones faith?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

My Jesus is no longer on the cross. He AROSE so I could also have life!

I'll not wear a piece of jewelry that shows Christ still on the cross, nor will I tolorate any other piece that implies such.

An empty cross is fine if worn as a reminder of how Christ suffered and died. (and not used, say, to fight vampires. ;) )

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

Theres a difference between a crucifix and a cross. A crucifix has Jesus on the cross. And no, I would not wear one, because Jesus is not on the cross, it is an RCC concept. Where as a cross is an empty cross. This I would wear, as you say, a symbol to the world of my faith.

Posted and them MK's post was there. Just wanted to add, i agree completely with he.

4. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

A crucifix shows a dead Jesus on a cross. As such, it is certainly not a symbol of my faith. Personally, I would not use an empty cross either, but I don't have such strong feelings on that as on crucifixes.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I wanted to wear jewelry round my neck that shows or depicts my faith, I will probably have a jeweler design a silver or gold jewish tomb with the rock rolled over to the side, and the words "He is Risen" engraved on the rock.

It'll probably cost more than most crucifixes or crosses, though.

6. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

I don't use crosses or crucifixes (don't even own one), but I don't see how the use of a crucifix is any different than singing hymns like:

There Is a Fountain Filled With Blood

The Old Rugged Cross

Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross

All of these hymns portray to some degree a dying Christ on the cross and I don't know of any conservative Christians who object to them.

7. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

There is a difference between singing about Christ crucified, or speaking of it, and portraying an image of God (Christ).

8. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

So the image is what you object to rather than the fact that the image is attached to a cross? OK, so how does that differ from Warner Sallman's renditions of Christ, which you see in practically all churches everywhere? http://www.anderson.edu/sallman/garden.html

9. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

I must not be as well informed as most people for I didn't know that a cross was different than a crucifix.
    The reason I posed this question was I attended a Baptist church once when I first got saved and I was fresh out of the Catholic religion, so I didn't know any better.
    I immediately stopped wearing my"cross" (no figure on it) and then one day the Pastors wife comes to church wearing a star of David, which I believe to be more of an occult symbol than a Jewish one and I posed the question, isn't that forbidden by the Baptists? And she says that she prayed over it to remove any evil spirits that may be on it.:BangHead:
    So crosses bad, six pointed stars good.:BangHead:
    I have seen many different people with different religions have different views on the cross as jewelry.
    Here is my take on it.
    If you don't bow down an worship before it and just look at it as a piece of jewelry or a fashion accessory, I don't see any harm in it.
    And if you forbid people from wearing it, then the forbidding part becomes more of works than grace and does more harm than the cross itself.

#9 Daniel1654, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  10. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a big religious jewelry fan, but don't see how either one is bad.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

When I was first saved, I bought a cross necklace because I wanted everyone to see at first glance that I was a Christian. Back in those days, it would actually be a conversation starter.

Nowadays, it's just a fashion statement. (why, I do not know)
    So I don't wear a cross much anymore, mostly just to church, because even blatant unbelievers were them and I don't stand out as a Christian anymore. (I'm just talking about outward appearance, not my behavior, so don't :tonofbricks: )

:)

Pinoy, I love your idea about the stone and the tomb! Now that might start some converstions. :thumbs:

#11 Amy.G, Apr 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2008
  12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong (I often am), but isn't the crucifix a Catholic thing? I see no need for having one. Besides, don't they generally show Christ on the cross? He was taken down and rose from the dead. I serve a RISEN and LIVING Christ and not a dead one. I prefer to see an empty cross

13. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Crucifix--no.
    Cross--have owned several and currently wear one. I enjoy jewelry and know of nothing in the Bible to prohibit wearing jewelry or specifically, the cross symbol.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Exodus 20:4

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Since crucifix's are often fondled and kissed by the wearer (and bowed before in statue form), they are a graven image IMO.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

They are a graven image only to the people who kiss them and bow down to them and worship them.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Crucifix is RCC, and it always bothers me to see a non RCC christian wear one.

17. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I wear a crucifix, my Baptist Wife bought it for me as a birthday present for me about 2 years after I got saved. I was Catholic for 45 years. Now I am Southern Baptist. I do not kiss it or bow down to it. It is just a jewelry present from my Wife.
    Yes, Christ is risen from the grave and praise the Lord for that, but it will make you remember that Jesus died on that piece of timber for all of our sins. Thank God that he loved us that much to send His only Son. I can still be as happy and cheerful as a Christian that wears a plain cross.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Curious...do you disagree with me just for the sake of disagreeing? You then immediately state that it bothers you to see a non RCC Christian wear one. Why exactly? I mean, if those non RCC Christians don't kiss them and bow down to them, what's the big deal? :rolleyes:

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Well---if its a symbol of ones faith----Madonna has a lot of faith, doesn't she????

She has about as much faith in what hangs around her neck as a Billy Goat does!!!!!!

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The gent do got a point. :thumbs:

Ed