1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifix

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Daniel1654, Apr 21, 2008.

1. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While I do not believe that there is any such rendition located anywhere in our building, I have seen many, such as these, in many locations.

However, they are all very poor guesses, at best.

I suggest that if Mary could not recognize the risen Lord, before He spoke to her, I probably would not be able to do so, either, especially not having seen Him, in the flesh.

And I know most of us don't recognize the angels we periodically encounter. :tear:

Ed

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Since you brought it up

"Wa-a-ell, now thet che' meen-shun it -- kin ya' think of a better reason??" :laugh: [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

3. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

Even Satan quoted scripture to Eve in the garden.
    Does that mean we should not read our bibles?
    Then by your analogy everyone who wears Nike sneakers is a basketball player.
    Or everyone who goes to church is a Christian and is going to heaven.
    You can't judge a book by its cover.
    Maybe we all should just not display any part of our faith.
    Just because the devil and his advocates do what Christians do doesn't mean we should not.
    "by their fruits you shall know them".

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

True Biblical Christianity has no symbol that is in jewelry form. The crucifix is an idol. It is an image which violates the second commandment. "Thou shalt not make unto me any graven images..."
    As the crucifix comes from the RCC, so does the cross. It used to be that no evangelical church ever displayed a cross; spires, yes; but crosses, no. Check your history. It is a RCC symbol. Wasn't it Constantine and those of the Crusades that went forth "under this cross" to conquer not only the Muslims, but also the innocent Bible-believing Albigenses.

The symbol of Christianity is the gospel. It set forth in the ordinance of baptism, as is also our new life in Jesus Christ.
    The cross is a cross of shame, a symbol of death and criminal execution. It is out of date. Bring it up to date if you must wear something. Wear an electric chair instead. Then you will be able to relate more. It was death, the death of a criminal, and the common execution of that day that was carried out. That is how Christ died. Death by crucifixion is not the common method of execution today.

Do away with the RCC symbols. The glory of the cross is in the sacrifice of the cross, one that cannot be carved or made, but only explained, taught, preached, and given with the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

"For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us it is the power of God."

That cross does not come in a piece of jewelry.

5. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

I have a question,
    Do you celebrate Christmas?
    You do know where Christmas comes from don't you.
    I don't remember christmas in any of the Gospels.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Actually no. I am probably one of the few posters on this board that does not celebrate Christmas.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

the big deal is it's RCC!

8. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

I too do not celebrate the so-called Christian holidays.
    Which includes easter.
    I hope then you do not support Israel and the flag that blatantly displays the Kabbalahistic symbol of the six pointed star.
    Or the American flag which displays 50 pentagrams on it, or use the American one dollar bill that has the Illuminati symbol on it.
    Do you see where this is going.
    "You are in the world, but you are not of the world".

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

No one said it was a symbol of everyones faith. I think most were talking about themelves only.

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Both easter and Christmas are so-called "Christian" holidays which are religious in nature and have pagan origions. They also have pagan customs, and have become more secular in their celebrations, and far removed from the celebration of either the resurrection or the birth of Christ.
    There are many reasons not to celebrate these "festivals."
    I am neither Israeli nor am I an American. However a flag is a symbol of a nation, not a religion. A refusal to salute or honor the flag is being unpatriotic. It doesn't matter what is on the flag. The Bible says: Give honor where honor is due.
    If you have no respect for your own nation, then move out. In the time of Christ, the emperors were honored as gods; their images (idols) stamped upon the coins. And yet Jesus did not object to it. Taking a coin, and identifying the image of Caesar, he said: "Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar, and unto God that which is God's." He was speaking of taxes, of course.
    Whether it is the flag or the dollar bill we respect the government and its institution. If you are not patriotic enough to do that, then choose a nation where you think that you can--Communist China perhaps.
    No, I don't.
    "You are in the world, but you are not of the world".[/quote]
    Good Biblical quote.

11. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

Good Biblical quote.[/QUOTE]

The flags nor the symbols bother me for I don't worship either and I don't worship the cross. Just the one who was hung on it for me.
    All I am say is to call a thing an idol can only be an idol by the person wearing it.
    If you believe the cross is an idol, than it is an idol to you and not me.
    For you to say that others cannot wear a cross as a symbol of their faith or even as Jewelry makes you a judge on matters that only you adhere to.
    Remove the beam that is in your own eye so you can see clearly the mote that is in another persons eyes.
    If you deem it to be a sin, to you it is sin.

12. standingfirminChrist

If one looks at the American Flag, one will see that it does not have the pentagram on it. Each of the 50 stars has 10 sides, with the point upward. The pentegram has the point downward.

#32 standingfirminChrist, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  13. donnA

donnA Active Member

I wonder if dhk has pictures of family in his home, wallet, office, etc? Those would be images for worship too.

There are a lot of things man makes his idol to worship, they are off limits because someone somewhere worships it. Some worship money as their idol, do you use or have money?
    If we have a weakness in one area that we make an idol, then for us it is off limits, but for the person who does not have this weakness of worshipping someone elses idol it isn't off limits. If your weakness is worshiping a necklace, then don't own one. But owning ones does not have to mean worship. Otherwise owning money is worship too, if indeed we are adopting other's idols as our own.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Only the crucifix is an actual idol, and that is the only one that I said was an idol.
    It is an idol because it is an image of God. Christ is God. It has nothing to do with bowing down and worshiping it. That is the second part of the command. It clearly says: "Thou shalt not make unto me any graven image or any likeness thereof." You have a choice: Obey or disobey. An image of Christ is an image of God.

The cross is wrong by association. It is not associated with Christianity but with Roman Catholicism, just like Christmas and Easter are not associated with Christianity but with pagan holidays. The issue there is one of association, not idolatry.
    Before making accusations, get your facts straight.

#34 DHK, Apr 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008
  15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Get your facts straight.
    Are they images of God. No.
    What is the command?
    "Thou shalt have no graven images unto me
    The context is graven images of Jehovah. My family do not consider themselves the Lord God Jehovah.

16. Daniel1654

Daniel1654 New Member

"thou shalt not make any graven image in heaven or on the earth".

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsAdj. 1. graven - cut into a desired shape; "graven images"; "sculptured representations"
    sculpted, sculptured
    carved, carven - made for or formed by carving (`carven' is archaic or literary); "the carved fretwork"; "an intricately carved door"; "stood as if carven from stone"
    2. graven - cut or impressed into a surface; "an incised design"; "engraved invitations"
    engraved, etched, inscribed, incised
    carved, carven - made for or formed by carving (`carven' is archaic or literary); "the carved fretwork"; "an intricately carved door"; "stood as if carven from stone"
    Apples and Oranges
    I will eat whatever is NOT sacrificed to idols, and to me it is NOT a sin.

17. donnA

donnA Active Member

And strangely enough you consider a cross to be an image of God?

Ex 20:4
    "You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

No, I don't think the context here is an image of just God, it says anything in heaven, on the earth or under the water. Meaning your family photos, that image on your flag is of a created thing, by your reasoning these are all idols of worship. Before you condemn people for wearing a cross, you need to get those idols out of your life.

18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

So are you saying a slab of meat, say a T-bone steak, is the same as an idol that is carved as an image of a god--whether that image be of Christ, or of Buddha. Thou shalt not make unto me any graven image or likeness thereof.
    What part of that don't you get??

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The context:

Exodus 20:3-5 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

The context is Jehovah.

1. Do not have any other gods before the Lord your God.
    2. Do not make any images or likeness of the Lord your God.
    3. Do not bow down before any images or likeness of the Lord your God.

The context is very evident.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No false accusations please.
    Quote me where I have said that any of those things are gods. Otherwise take back your statement and issue an apology.