1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifixion Happened ON Wednesday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by antiaging, Dec 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antiaging

antiaging New Member

It happened on a Wednesday and not a Friday. He was taken off the cross before the sabbath began, but the sabbath that is refered to is the Sabbath of the passover feast, which was on a Thursday. [It says that Sabbath was an high day. It was not the usual sabbath of the end of the week.] Jewish days began at 6:00 pm. The Sabbath of the passover feast began at 6:00 pm on Wednesday of that week. He died on the cross around 3:00pm on Wednesday and was taken off the cross by around 6:00pm on Wednesday. He was in the grave by Wednesday night sometime. Three days in the grave would have ended around Saturday night or early Sunday morning. (The first day of the week began Saturday at 6:00 pm.)
    Three days in the grave as the scriptures say; Wednesday night to Saturday night.
    The catholic church misunderstood the scriptures and thought that the sabbath mentioned was the normal sabbath of the end of the week. That is why they think Jesus was crucified on a Friday. They are incorrect. No matter how you count it, there cannot be three days from Friday to Sunday. The scriptures plainly state he would be in the the grave three days.
    The passover feast had a day of rest. In Jewish feast days, any day of rest is called a sabbath, just like the sabbath of rest at the end of the week. The passover high day sabbath spoken of in the scriptures that is associated with the death of Jesus happened on a Thursday.
    There is no good friday. It should be good Wednesday.
    Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
    3 days---Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    3 nights---Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Matthew 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    Matthew23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
    Matthew 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed [is] he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
    That statement in Matthew seems to have been made on palm Sunday. –See the preceeding chapters back to palm Sunday, Matt. 21:9.[Palm Sunday would have begun on Saturday 6:00pm; He could have entered Jerusalem at 6:00pm or shortly after, threw tables over, healed some sick, and then went to spend the night in Bethany. Saw the withered fig tree the next morning and taught all day palm Sunday.]
    Compare to the Luke version:

Luke 13:31The same day there came certain of the Pharisees, saying unto him, Get thee out, and depart hence: for Herod will kill thee.
    Luke 13:32 And he said unto them, Go ye, and tell that fox, Behold, I cast out devils, and I do cures to day and to morrow, and the third day I shall be perfected.
    Luke 13:33 Nevertheless I must walk to day, and to morrow, and the day following: for it cannot be that a prophet perish out of Jerusalem.
    Luke 13:34 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killest the prophets, and stonest them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!
    Luke 13:35.Behold, your house is left unto you desolate: and verily I say unto you, Ye shall not see me, until the time come when ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
    If those statements were made on Palm Sunday, Luke 13:32,33, then it clearly shows that Jesus would be crucified on a Wednesday; on the third day from palm Sunday.

2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the view of many Messianic Jews ( Wednesday).

But what about Thursday ? In this case it is 3 nights and 3 days.

Wednesday - 3 nights and 4 days.

Friday - 2 nights and 3 days.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Matthew 16:21
      From that time Jesus began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.
    2. Matthew 17:23
      and they will kill Him, and He will be raised on the third day." And they were deeply grieved.
    3. Matthew 20:19
      and will hand Him over to the Gentiles to mock and scourge and crucify Him, and on the third day He will be raised up."
    4. Matthew 27:64
      "Therefore, give orders for the grave to be made secure until the third day, otherwise His disciples may come and steal Him away and say to the people, 'He has risen from the dead,' and the last deception will be worse than the first."
    5. Luke 9:22
      saying, " The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day."
    6. Luke 13:32
      And He said to them, "Go and tell that fox, 'Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I reach My goal.'
    7. Luke 18:33
      and after they have scourged Him, they will kill Him; and the third day He will rise again."
    8. Luke 24:7
      saying that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again."
    9. Luke 24:21
      "But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, it is the third day since these things happened.
    10. Luke 24:46
      and He said to them, " Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day,

4. antiaging

antiaging New Member

Wednesday gives 3 nights and 3 days.
    Jewish days began at 6:00 pm. Sunday the first day of the week began at 6:00 pm on Saturday. He was resurrected probably some time Saturday night.

Estimating: He died at 3:00pm Wednesday.
    They wanted Him to be off the cross before 6:00 pm, which is the start of the high sabbath of the passover. He could have been off the cross by 4:30 pm.
    Estimating maybe, 3 hours from maybe, 4:30 pm, He could have been in the grave wrapped up with spices around 7:30 pm Wednesday night. So 3 days and 3 nights would have ended around 7:30 pm Saturday night, which was the Jewish first day of the week, Sunday.
    Those are just time estimates that I think might be likely.
    3 days---Thursday, Friday, Saturday
    3 nights----Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
    It could have been later than that on wednesday night and could have been a later resurrection Saturday night. --It would still be 3 days and 3 nights.
    The women came to the tomb around dawn on Sunday.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can I ask an honest question? Why does this matter? Why does it matter what day Jesus died on? To me, what matters is the fact that He not only died but rose again in victory over death and defeating sin. What day that happened doesn't seem that important to me.

6. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would accept the timing of Death of Jesus was 15:30.

1. If He died on Wednesday,
    Until Thursday 15:30 - the first day,
    Until Friday 15:30 - the second day,
    Until Saturday 15:30 - the third day,
    Sunday morning - ca. 04:30 - Resurrection - 85 hours after death on the fourth day.( Not on the third day)
    Until Sunday 15:30 - the fourth day

In the Greek New Testament, sometimes it says τη τριτη ημερα ( the third day : 1 Cor 15:4) too. Therefore the only way to satisfy both requirements - 3 days and 3 nights but still on the third day - is to find 3 nights before the Sunday morning, but should not be earlier than 72 hours.

2. If He died on Thursday,
    Until Friday 15:30 - the first day
    Until Saturday 15:30 - the second day
    Sunday Morning ca. 04:30 - Resurrection - 61 hours after death, on the third day, after 3 nights and 3 days
    Sunday 15:30 - the third day

This satisfies both requirements - 3 nights and 3 days but still on the third day.

3. Reason for this study

AA) Many anti-Christian groups argue already that the prophecy of Jesus that he was going to be in the heart of the earth for 3 days and 3 nights ( Mt 12:40) didn't come true and Jesus was wrong ! based on the crucifixion on Friday ( so-called Good Friday).

BB) Anti-Christians also argue that the period during which Jesus was dead was only 37 hours if we accept so-called Good Friday theory and some exceptional stories tell them that some dead people can be alive again within 48 hours.
    In this case the analysis of hours are as follows:
    Friday 15:30 - died
    Saturday 15:30 - 24 hours - the first day
    Sunday Morning 04:30 - Resurrection - 37 hours after death, the second day, only after 2 nights and 2 days( or less than 2 days). It was less than the elapse of 48 hours.

Until Sunday 15:30 - still the second day.

4. Why did such misunderstanding take place?

Many misunderstood that the Sabbath was nearing when Jesus died.
    They thought the Sabbath meant the Saturday.
    However, that Sabbath was the special Sabbath, the Passover Sabbath which is also called High Sabbath according to Leviticus 23.
    So, the Thursday is the most plausible day of Crucifixion.

I have some more things which need a lot lengthy explanation on this but would refrain from it at the moment.

#6 Eliyahu, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  7. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    7:30 pm Saturday is already Sunday in Jewish calendar and it has already trespassed(or entered) the fourth day.

#7 Eliyahu, Dec 23, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Saturday night, or certainly any time later than that, is beyond the third day.

9. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

We all agree that Jesus arose on the third day.
    Friday was the first day.
    Saturday was the second day.
    Sunday was the third day.

10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Exactly! The only day that fits Scripture, without 'giving Scripture fits', is Thursday, the way we reckon time! I've posted more detailed analysis to this at least twice in the last two years.

Ed

11. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The 'injection' of "72 hours" is one place where the faulty reasoning usually begins. Scripture does not give or use this figure, at all.

It does use such phrases such as "the third day", "in three days", "three days and three nights", "on the third day", "after three days", and "the third day since", among perhaps others.

I "ain't the brightest neon on Broadway" by any stretch, but I do assume that all these phrases are referring to the same time period.

May I also suggest reading Matt. 12:39-40 carefully, and seeing exactly what that Scripture is saying, rather than reading into it words that are not found there.

In short, Wednesday is too early, and Friday is too late. Wanna' take a "blind stab" at what day is left??

Eliyahu is starting down the right track, folks. :thumbs:

Ed

#11 EdSutton, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2007
  12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Exactly. It is kind of like the argument about pre-mil, the young earth, and the six day Creation. Who cares? God created it, God has the end times in control, and Jesus was crucified on the day appointed in God's plan.

13. soninme

soninme New Member

Will knowing what day jesus died , help the lost souls of this world , i think not , what matters is , jesus died , rose again , and is alive today , the blood shed at calvary 2000 years ago is cleansing men to this day , or was it yesterday , or is it tommorow............hmmmmmmmmmmmmm................ it matters not , " everyone who looks to the son and believes in him shall have eternal life ."

14. antiaging

antiaging New Member

Might not matter to protestants. There are hundreds of millions of catholics that are taught that it is a sin to eat meat on Friday, because they think Jesus was crucified on a Friday. Friday is seafood day. I was raised catholic; ate seafood every Friday for years because of this error.
    Those catholics don't seem to realize that they have been eating meat on Good Wednesday for centuries.

1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
    1 Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
    1 Timothy 4:3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Commanding to abstain from meats is shown to be a false doctrine by the New Testament.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But the mandate to not eat meat on Fridays was a man-made rule - NOT from God. So it really doesn't matter. It would be like arguing which day Jesus was really born. It doesn't matter and it won't change the day we celebrate it.

Hey, growing up, Wednesday was Prince spaghetti day too! Maybe it was because the Prince spaghetti people knew the truth! LOL

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

IN SABBATH’S-TIME BEFORE THE LORD

FOURTEEN ABIB FIRST FIRST DAY
    GOSHEN TO GETHSEMANE –
    PREPARE THE DAY OF PASSOVER!
    BEGIN! REMOVE ALL LEAVEN!
    TO THE END TO SACRIFICE THE LAMB!

FIFTEEN ABIB FIRST OF PASCHAL DAYS AGAIN
    FEAST! REMEMBER! EAT!
    UNLEAVENED BREAD’S ROASTED LUMP!
    OUT FROM UNDER EGYPT’S CLAIMS
    TO FLAME TO ASH TO EARTH WITH THE REMAINS

SIXTEEN ABIB THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES
    YAHWEH’S PASSOVER CONSUMMATE!
    FIRST OF WINTER HARVEST DAYS –
    WAVE THE SHEAF – CLARION CALL TO SHAVUOT!
    IN SABBATH’S TIME BEFORE THE LORD!

FEAST ON STILL, BITTER LEAVENLESS BREAD
    FIRST OF FIFTY TO THE DAY
    LAST OF WINTER’S GROWTH,
    TWO LOAVES WAVED – ONE THE BODY THAT IS CHRIST’S
    IN SABBATH’S TIME BEFORE THE LORD!

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    5.1.1.6.3.7. Prophetic Feasts

Spring – Winter Harvest

Nisan (First Month) Passover
    14 Preparation Lamb slaughtered Crucifixion

Day of Removal of Leaven
    15 Passover Sabbath Feast Lamb eaten Burial
    First Day of Unleavened Bread………….Eaten
    16 Day after Sabbath First Sheaf Wave Offer Resurrection

2nd day Unleavened Bread First of Fifty Days

17 Third day of Unleavened Bread Appearances

Fortieth Day Ascension

Wait in Jerusalem (till Harvest Completed)
    Fiftieth Day

First Bread Wave Offering

Fulfilled in Holy Spirit and Ecclesia……….Body of Christ

Autumn – Summer Harvest

Tishri Day of Atonement

9 Preparation Tribes ordered Priests offer for self

Fulfilled in Israel

Atonement: Morning: Goat Slaughtered
    Fulfilledin Christ’s Suffering, Humiliation, Death
    High Priest Enters
    Fulfilled in Christ’s Presentation, Ascending Trone and Exaltation
    Afternoon: High Priest Returns
    Fulfilled in Christ’s being “brought again from the dead”
    Goat Sent into Wilderness

Fulfilled in Life of Christ Raised, Presented, Exalted

The Death of Death in the Death of Christ

15 Feast of Trumpets
    Fulfilled in, 1, Judgement, Sacrifice and Resurrection of Christ 2, in Pentecost
    3, in Sabbaths’ Feast 4, in Christ’s Return
    Feast of Tabernacles

Fulfilled in 1, Incarnation 2, Resurrection 3, Church 4, New Earth

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Six Days Before Passover
    See Par. 5.1.1.6, and for a scheme, Par. 5.1.1.6.2.
    Remember each and every argument against the Wednesday crucifixion theory somehow or other is an argument against the Friday crucifixion Sunday
    resurrection tradition. In essence they are identical – both consist of but fallacy.
    A Fourth Day
    The Wednesday crucifixion theory implicates a fourth “day”: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday = four days!
    The complication from another angle:
    Day One: Fourth Day (Wednesday) First of “three days: Crucifixion.
    14 Nisan. “Buried before sunset.” Day ends: “Sunset”.
    Day Two: The Fifth Day (Thursday) 1st of “three nights” …and the 1st “day”.
    15 Nisan. Day ends: “Sunset”.
    Day Three: The Sixth Day (Friday) 2nd of “three nights” … and the 2nd “day”.
    16 Nisan. Day ends: “Sunset”.
    Day Four: The Sabbath (Saturday) 3rd of “three nights” … and the 3rd “day”.
    17 Nisan. “Resurrection just before Sunset”.
    1, According to the Wednesday crucifixion theory, Wednesday all day, crucifixion, death, and, entombment, occur and are finished, “before sunset”.
    2, According to the Wednesday crucifixion theory, from entombment
    3, counting of the “three days and three nights”, starts and not from death.
    4, According to the Wednesday crucifixion theory, the first “night” of the “three days and three nights” follows from after sunset.
    5, According to the Wednesday crucifixion theory, reckoning of Day begins “from sunset”.
    6, According to the Wednesday crucifixion theory, “from sunset Wednesday”, Thursday begins … the second day!
    Clearly something, already, is awry!
    Thursday night and Friday day together make a day the Sixth Day of the week the third day of the “three days and three nights” – according to the Wednesday crucifixion theory. Only two nights, and we already have three days! Jesus was not resurrected on Friday!

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Friday night and Saturday day together makes a day the Sabbath Day the fourth day of the “three days and three nights”. But if Saturday had been the day of Resurrection, it could not have been the fourth day! Saturday should have been the third day. Crucifixion should have been on Thursday!
    The question is whether the “three days and three nights” are involved in the sense of one period of 72 hours or whether “three days and three nights”,are what they are, the “three daysof prophetic Scriptures!
    All of these theories call on John 11:9, “Are there not twelve hours in a day?” If it has to be the full number of hours,by principle it should also be the full number of minutes and seconds. Then the resurrection occurs where it cannot, where there is notime to occur.They cannot say Jesus rose “on”, or, “in” the third day because “after the third day”, must be taken for “literal” and its idiomatic force be ignored. The result: “After the third day” should mean morethan 72 hours, which should make the resurrection “on thefourthday”. And so one could go on and on.
    Now the Wednesday crucifixion theory maintains the resurrection occurred “after 72 hours from sunset Wednesday”. The day being reckoned from sunset to sunset – which the Wednesday crucifixion theory accepts – resurrection occurs on Sunday, Saturday night being the First Day. The Wednesday crucifixion theory in effect places the resurrection on the fifth, and not, on “the third day”.
    Considered separate entities of “days” and “nights”, the “three days and three nights” on and within the three calendar days of Jesus’ crucifixion, entombment and resurrection from the dead, agree with the historic events of the Passover. Three days occurred and are to be considered according to the principle the part represents the whole. “The third day”, especially, was not a full day of twenty-four hours. The resurrection occurred in but an instant and as such represents the third day as “the third day”. The resurrection besides occurred considerable time before sunset and approximately three quarters of that day are considered “the third day according to the Scriptures” fully and unreservedly.
    The day Jesus was buried was Friday without a doubt as we have shown many times elsewhere. Mark 15:42 in parallel with 16:1 is the clearest and most definitive Scripture in this respect. Also John 19:31 in parallel with 42, Luke 23:54 in parallel with 56 and Matthew 27:62 in parallel with 28:1 leave no doubt that Friday was the day of the week of Jesus’ burial. It could not have been circumscribed and identified any better, with more or better detail or in simpler and clearer language.

20. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In just as simple and unambiguous language though is it also stated that before Joseph buried the body and after it still hung on the cross, “the evening had come”, which, together with many other factors, make of the day of interment the day after, crucifixion.
    Then, again with just as simple and unambiguous language (unfortunately manipulated through translation) Matthew 28:1 states that the resurrection occurred on the Sabbath, the day after, interment. Which gives us “the third day”, and, “three days”, and, “three days and three nights” considering the significance of Gethsémané night, without any difficulty or confusion. Together, the first “night” (Wednesday night) – Gethsémané , and the first “day” (Thursday day) – crucifixion and death, and forsaking by all, constitute the first day of the “three days” “according to the Scriptures”. Then “came evening”, the second day of the “three days” beginning. (Thursday) The second “night”, Passover Feast Meal, “Being the Preparation, the Jews demanded of Pilate … After this, Joseph went in to Pilate, the body granted, taken down, removed, prepared. The “day” saw the women following after to the grave and Joseph eventually closing the grave and all returning to prepare for the Sabbath – “day declining towards the First Day of the week” <epefohsken sabbaton>.
    “Started the women to rest” the third day of the “three days” began – so the third “night”. “Come morning” and “day” the third, Mt.27:62, the Jews and Pilate , the grave sealed and guarded. “The third day” saw the angel descend, and roll away the stone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.