1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crucifixion on Thursday

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton invited me to start this thread. I say, Thank you Ed Sutton. You show a Christian spirit. May Truth Triumph! If, Christ be glorified! If, Scriptures be respected! If, faith hold!

May I open the conversation, by drawing the attention to a rather phenominal development of recent times, That no small number, and no insignificant thinkers, have accepted and adopted, that Jesus Christ was crucified on a Thursday, and not on Friday as has been the popular opinion for as long as can be remembered. Also not on a Wednesday, as some have attempted to prove from not so long ago.

So that at the moment, the problem to face for the Thursday Crufixion Idea, is no longer its Scriptures-Basis, but its consequences.

Floor open!

2. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A certain gentleman, BobRyan, of course cannot be forbidden to participate - if he willed I doubt. He may not be listened to or be answered; others also have that freedom.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Uh, actually EdSutton invited you to start a thread on why you believe the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ occurred on "the Sabbath", i.e. Saturday, as you claimed in the other thread. FTR, EdSutton also said that three individuals, including Gerhard Ebersoehn and EdSutton had adequately shown for the Thursday crucifixion.

EdSutton will also note that this is probably the first time he was ever associated with, or included in, any group of 'significant thinkers', for whatever reason, as well. He is not used to receiving such rare accolades. But he'll take this designation, even if he doesn't deserve it, just to see what it feels like, for once. :thumbs: :laugh: :laugh:

Now I will probably immediately remove myself from that group. I wasn't in it long enough for it to "go to my head", though. :tear:

IMO, any supposed "consequences" of this (Thursday crucifixion) thinking are totally irrelevant, as to whether or not it is taught in Scripture, and hence having a "Scriptures-Basis". We do not determine what Scripture teaches, "in reverse", from anything I can find, therein. Please explain your statement.

In other words, the Scripture's teaching is not determined by ANY "system of Theology", in any event. If the theology doesn't agree with the Scripture, then get a new system of theology!

Even better yet, chuck all the 'theology systems' in their entirety, and merely let the Bible speak! It's own 'system of theology' makes pretty good sense, IMO.

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2008
  4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Ed Sutton
    Uh, actually EdSutton invited you to start a thread on why you believe the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ occurred on "the Sabbath", i.e. Saturday, as you claimed in the other thread. FTR, EdSutton also said that three individuals, including Gerhard Ebersoehn and EdSutton had adequately shown for the Thursday crucifixion.

EdSutton will also note that this is probably the first time he was ever associated with, or included in, any group of 'significant thinkers', for whatever reason, as well. He is not used to receiving such rare accolades. But he'll take this designation, even if he doesn't deserve it, just to see what it feels like, for once. :thumbs: :laugh: :laugh: Now I will probably immediately remove myself from that group. I wasn't in it long enough for it to "go to my head", though. :tear:

GE
    Heard of Dr Montgomery Boyce? I heard he had eight doctorates from universities around the world -- one of the 'thinkers' who 'discovered' at least the Friday-Crucifixion could not hold water, and decided Thursday for that day. So you are in good company (so desiring or not), and why should anyone be too unpretentious to feel oneself at home in such company? Because one may differ with him? Because I still differ with you in more than one aspect on the 'issue', why should I not make capital of the fact we agree on a Thursday Resurrection? I say, let us leave the humbleness for the fearing. If you judge it went to my head, so be it; it may have. I won't ask forgiveness from anybody if it has.

Ed Sutton
    ... actually EdSutton invited you to start a thread on why you believe the Resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ occurred on "the Sabbath",

GE
    Certainly; isn't 'my belief' a "consequence" of the TR-idea?

#4 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 11, 2008
  5. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How can a Sabbath-Resurrection of Jesus be a consequence of the fact He was crucified and died on Thursday -- more correct, on the Fifth Day of the Bible-concept of the week?

One: (and for now the only reason), that if Thursday (beginning with Wednesday-evening) was day one; then Friday was the second day of the "three days" that included "the third day" "in" / "on" / "with" which He would rise from the dead, and Saturday, would be "THE THIRD DAY". 1 -- 2 -- 3 -- Thursday Friday Saturday.

6. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Everybody all the centuries counted 1 -- 2 -- 3 -- Friday Saturday Sunday and till this day today nobody could find fault with their arithmatics. What's wrong with mine? (Except for its spelling - arithmetics)

#6 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 11, 2008
  7. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let the Bible only speak ... more easily said than done! But I shall endeavour to make that my only discipline in forming 'my opinion'.

To begin with one of such 'Bible only' principles of understanding the Bible: How and for what shall we understand, "So shall the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth"? Shall we understand them as 'the', 'three days' that also, refer to this very experience of the Son of Man? And next, how shall we understand these 'three days' and for what? Three days of the (Divine prophetic) 'calendar'? As and for three days of the ('creation'-)week? OR for something different or more, or less?

These are all consequences of the fact of Jesus' resurrection ON 'Thursday' -- and they lead to one ultimate consequence. Shall we 'chuck out' all our 'theology' for this consequence? Are we bold enough to do it? do we have the faith in our Redeemer to do it? Or shall we timidly recoil from the consequences?

#7 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 11, 2008