1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crying Out to the Lord

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Oct 6, 2008.

1. superwoman8977

superwoman8977 New Member

Okay since my last post almost burned me at the stake I am scared to talk about this subject but it needs to be addressed. I am doing a bible study through my divorce care class (yeah I guess I am taking proactive steps in the right direction in living my life for the Lord) and I am doing a chapter on depression and loss of faith and it points out in 2nd Corinthians Chapter 1 that Paul loses his faith with everything going on around him.

[I am worn out from groaning; all night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes. Away from me, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping. The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer.]Psalm 6:6–9

David also points this out to us in Psalms in several other places as well. In Matthew when Jesus goes to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray my bible puts it into such dramatic words about how depressed He is and finally when He can take it no more He falls to the ground on His face to pray to the Father.

My question is this: Do you ever have those times? When strife and opposition are in an issue are so bad that you cant breathe? One of those run to or run away from the cross moments that we all have experienced.

The more I have been in the word lately the more I see a totally different picture of Christ and Paul as being more human-like with the emotions and everything I dont know maybe I am crazy but thats how I am seeing it. Am I wrong again?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You are not wrong (but I hope you aren't reading the Message, which adds to scripture in some places).

Paul was human - he was certainly down in the dumps at times considering what he went through. But he looked to Chirst and also wrote about how Jesus brought him through these things.

Jesus in his human nature certainly felt despondence. We see that, too, but he never gave in to it.

I have many down times - but we have the hope of Christ in us, and know that whatever troubles we have, we can get through them if we lean on Him.

My pastor says, "You can't live for Christ, you let Christ live His life through you." Iow, you can't out of your own strength apart from Christ make yourself better.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I would say that we all have or have had these kinds of times. Although I have never faced death in the way the Paul did.
    For those who are being conformed to the image of Christ, these bad times bring us closer to God and it is then that God can work on us and make us more like Christ.
    As tough as life can be at times, it is these times where we experience the most growth and maturity as children of God.

This is why we can believe "all things work for the good of those who love the Lord".

Bad times can also be the chastening of the Lord in order to make us right with Him because of sin. We grow during these times as well. The Bible says that after God chastens us, it will yield the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

4. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

I don't think so.

But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. (Philippians 2:7-8 KJV)

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Isaiah 53:3 KJV)

Thus we know he understands us and our needs. But don't expect to see Him that way again. Here's what I expect next time:

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS. (Revelation 19:11-16 KJV)

5. superwoman8977

But I guess my thing is why when people are studying the word dont mention that Paul and Christ both went through times of doubt and discouragement? You never hear people talk about that and for some reason all of the studies I have been doing lately emphasize that?

The message more that I am hearing is that we are to be joyful during our trials, Christ will bring us through which I have scriptural proof that He will, but even He had His time of doubting and discouragement as did Paul yet when a Christian is discouraged or frustrated they are encouraged to in a sense "suck it up and paste a smile on your face." I have heard that so much with all that I have been going through. But I feel like an alien or something because I dont want to be happy 24/7 my heart is broken, my life as I knew it is in a tailspin.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm exceedingly curious; how do you read 2 Corinthians 1, and come out with the thought that Paul is losing faith with those things going on around him?

Also, I must point out one of my most favorite verses in the Bible comes from that exact same chapter: v.4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

The thing I personally get from that verse is that we go through trials and tribulations, so that we may be a comfort to others who are also going through those same (or similar) trials and tribulations.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is not my experience at all. We've always discussed how people in the Bible went through hard times and times of doubt.

Maybe you are in one of those churches that thinks Christians should be happy all the time?

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is false. Doubt and discouragement are sins.

Jesus suffered, yes, and was a man of sorrows, but He never doubted, nor waivered. On the contrary, when He was reviled and when He suffered, He trusted, 1 Pet. 2:23.

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are right - no bout-a-doubt it!

God loves those who show their need for him,

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
    “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
    “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
    “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.
    “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
    “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
    “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

Matthew 5:3-11 NRSV

Of course none of us really wants to be "poor in spirit" or "mourning", we rather not be "persecuted for righteousness" or "reviled"

Sometimes those doing the persecuting and reviling are our brothers and sisters (it hurts even more then doesn't it).

God knows it and blesses you.

...but we also boast in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us, because God’s love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
    Romans 5:3-5 NRSV

Grow in God's grace.

Rob

10. superwoman8977

Thank you so much for your post!

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have absolutely been at the place where I don't even want to take a step or, as you said, breathe! It's so hard sometimes. Sometimes the trial I'm going through is of my own doing and sometimes it's something that God is using to purify me or bring me closer to Him.

Superwoman, let me be honest. You're not going to hear this kind of stuff from Joyce Meyer or other teachers/preachers who are into the feel good, prosperity gospel. They tell you that discouragement and trials are not what God wants for you - He wants you happy but that is not the truth. God wants us to glorify Him and we will do that when we're happy OR sad. I don't see anywhere in Scripture where God promises us happiness and these preachers who teach us that are doing us a great disservice.

But know that as we go through these trials, we are either broken or else made more in the image of Christ - it's our choice. Keep focused on Christ and His Word and that will help you to get through.

Romans 8:26 "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words."

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, good case for doubt...but how 'bout discouragement?

You're making those two words synonymous...are they?

Make the case that discouragement is always a sin.

13. superwoman8977

Doubt and discouragement are not sins. They are human feelings. I guess I need to show you where Jesus was discouraged and doubting when he went to Gethsemane to pray. Matthew 26:36--"Then Jesus went with them to the place they called Gethsemane and He told His disciples, sit down here while I go over yonder and pray. 37 and taking with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee He began to show grief and distress of mind and was deeply depressed38 Then He said to them, My soul is very sad and deeply grievedso that I am almost dying of sorrow. Stay here and keep awake and keep watch with Me. 39 And going a little farther He threw Himself upon the ground on His face and prayed saying "My Father if it is possible take this cup away from Me....

My point is that even Jesus went through times of discouragement and sorrow just like we do.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You are convoluting sorrow and grief with doubt and discouragement. Two totally separate issues.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can I ask what version you are using? I cannot figure it out. Thanks.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's the Amplified Bible.

17. superwoman8977

I am using the amplified version.

18. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Well, that explains the confusion.

AJ

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

Not-so-superwoman, :), Christ is the WAY!!! He is the way out of health problems -- He is the way out of spiritual issues (sin) -- He is that way out of EVERY personal problem! ME TOO (divorced, that is).

Look back on who you are in Christ. Joseph's brothers meant it for evil but God meant it for GOOD. Be eager to see what God has for you!

How about a threat to your pilot career AND a divorce! God is able to deliver! It's not about who you are, what you are, what you can do -- it's about who God is, what God is, and what He can do!! Christ is the Way -- follow Him!

Encouragement: Remarried to a wonderful wife! Re-employed to the best company in the industry (can you guess by my avatar?) working alongside the union that BLACKBALLED me from any carrier they represented (thankfully, because I might have been hired but a PASSENGER airline like the one I worked for -- Eastern Airlines!). But God gave me this promise -- there is no device of man that can succeed against thee!! Psalms somewhere -- I'm too viclempt to find it just now. Too thankful to even see through the tears.). I retired from FedEx with a retirement that I KNOW my peers envy! This is YOU if you just trust in His Way! I owe it ALL to Him!!

skypair

#19 skypair, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008
  20. skypair

skypair Active Member

Ann, please read Prov 22:4 and 3:16. God means for us to live life and live it more "abundantly," John 10:10. Yes, we go through these trials but like Joseph, we come out saying "they meant it for evil but God meant it for good!" Right?

skypair