1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Crying Out to the Lord

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by superwoman8977, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're basically synonymous. To be discouraged is to be deprived of courage or confidence.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Proverbs 22:4 "The reward for humility and fear of the LORD is riches and honor and life."

Proverbs 3:16 "Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor."

Yes we go through trials. Of that we are promised. But to say that all believers who are living life fully to the Lord will be rich, live a long life and have honor can be deceiving. How about the missionaries who have given their lives for the Lord? How about a 14 year old daughter of a Canadian pastor who was killed two weeks ago?

Where are our riches, honor and long life? They are awaiting us in heaven. We might have temporal "successes" but that's not our treasure at all and it's not the treasure I desire. Yeah, more money would be nice but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking to serve the Lord and glorify Him in all that I do. I can do that in a shack or a mansion - it's up to Him. But I'm not going to measure my spirituality by earthly riches.

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

I'm not a "name it and claim it" Christian BUT --- what I quoted is what the Bible says. I will, however, make some observations:

1) These work best when one lives in a society (OT Judaism, USA) based on godly principles, for sure! I believe that these and other passages comprehend that.

2) We often have made such a mess of our lives before we are saved that there is little probability NOR PERSONAL EXPECTATION of receiving these promises in the fulness of which they speak.

3) I believe God leads each into the path where He chooses there to receive the riches, honor, and health that He gives. IOW, His aim is not these things but to conform each to the image of His Son.

The passages don't turn on how we experience these things -- the passages say what they, David, and God meant. What do you think they meant in context?

True. Nor do the riches, honor, and health of a David suggest that he wasn't spiritual.

skypair

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm prepared to go with you on "doubt," but I'd have to do a word study on "discouragement" sometime...

I'll add that to my "to do list.:thumbs:

Good day :wavey: