1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CSB?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by SovereignGrace, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It just seems that some here cannot see just how dangerous it was to do what the Niv translators did in their 2011 revision, as the 1984 was much better!

2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus still had the Lord, His God and His Father, correct?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You never change your shameful ways. I told you your links are stupid. Man up and do your own homework. You make false claims. It's time for you to own up to your responsibilities.

It's not a matter of opinion. Either verses from the NIV support your claims or they do not. It's one or the other. Speak the truth from now on.

I said give me verses from the NIV which advocate women as apostles, elders and pastors.
    If you cannot offer any substantiation, then acknowledge the error of your ways for the past eight years and say you are sorry for your untruthfulness.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really overload your posts with exclamation marks.

"An excessive use of exclamation marks is a certain indication of an unpractised writer or of one who wants to add a spurious dash of sensation to something unsensational." (H.W. Fowler)

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can the Lord receive salvation in Ps. 24:5? Or, as it says in the NIV :"vindication from God their Savior."

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    @SovereignGrace.
    'Dear reader, it is possible that you are saying, "I shall never enter into the heaven of God, for I have neither clean hands nor a pure heart.." Look then to Christ, who has already climbed the holy hill. He has entered as the forerunner of those who trust in Him. Follow in His footsteps and repose upon His merit. He rides triumphantly into heaven and you shall ride there too if you trust in Him.......'
    C.H. Spurgeon. 'Treasury of David'.

But if you obliterate the possibility of finding Christ in the text by changing the word of God from singular (which it is) to plural (which it is not), you lose the immeasurable comfort that this Psalm brings and turn it into salvation by works.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either this person cited knows what he is talking about, or he does not, and I thinbk he does!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does the Csb say there?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That seems to be where the biggest difference between Csb and Niv is in regards to Gender Inclusive, wether to see as singular or as plural!

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Six Hour Warning
    This thread will be closed sometime after 6:15 PM Pacific.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is your responsibility to give proof of your absolutely false statements that have been pouring forth from you for 8 solid years. Eight years of falsehoods. You should be ashamed, but you don't even know how to blush.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you quoted has absolutely nothing to with the above --typical of you.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You claim you have read it through. Don't ask so many inane questions when you can look it up yourself.

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Spurgeon. But, if that passage in Psalm 24 is about the Christ, why does He need salvation from God?

Look at this statement I’ll make. Say I am preaching and in that sermon I make a statement, “If there is one here who is lost, and they believe from their heart that Christ is Lord, they shall be saved.” That, imo, is how the NIV uses ‘one’ in one place and ‘they’ in another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is another case of y1 mindlessly giving a link which he has not bothered to read for himself. The author is not even a Protestant and uses the NRSV as the golden standard.

The author made no mention of the issue of gender inclusivity. Surprise, surprise.

Y1, I have told you countless times. Do not give stupid links which contradict your pet theories and, like this time-- do not even mention what you have been talking about. He uses the NRSV. Come on. Wake up. Do your own work. You should be embarrassed.

Don't be a coward. Don't be afraid of actually taking the time to read the NIV for yourself, before making untrue and disrespectful denouncements about the translation and translators.

There are no verses in the NIV which promote women as heads of households. There are no verses in the NIV which promote women as apostles, elders or pastors. That's complete nonsense on your part.

This is a matter of fact --not opinion. For you to continue in your falsehoods is serious. It is seriously sinful. You need to get right with God and put away deceitful practices.

#156 Rippon, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Show me ONE verse in the Bible where the NIV advocates women apostles and pastors.

The onus is on you to prove this bull...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's called the singular they and has been in use for centuries. MM knows this. Many British authors have employed the singular they. It has been a part of common speech for ages.

I have made a number of threads on this issue. My suggestion of using 'ta' or 'thon' has not won over the populace. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if you agree with Spurgeon, you agree that the Lord Jesus is our forerunner and that He is the One who has clean hands and a pure heart etc. Thank you and good night.

Of course the Lord Jesus never needed salvation from sin as we do, but I have given you Hebrews 5:7; did you read it? God 'raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead' (Romans 4:26). As He died, our Lord said to the Father, "Into Your hands I commend My spirit' (Luke 23:46). In that respect the Father is the God of His salvation in that He raised Him from the dead.

But why will you not engage with the real point? Why will you not answer it? Whether or not you believe that Psalm 24 has anything to do with Jesus (and you have admitted that it does) the NIV translation obscures the reference to Him by changing the text of the Bible. The Holy Spirit says 'He;' the NIV says 'they.' Who do you think is right? Please address this point before proceeding.

20. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said the Christ wasn’t our forerunner. Show me one place I have. That’s the point I am making about clean hands and pure heart. Those who are saved, have been imputed with an alien righteousness, imputed with the Christ’s righteousness. They now stand before Him as if they never sinned, have clean hands and pure hearts.

But I don’t think the text is speaking in that manner. It appears to me it is talking about fallen ppl being saved. The Christ was never a fallen person. He came in the likeness of sinful flesh, but never sinned.

I thought I did address this. If I say in my sermon, “If one here is lost and they believe Jesus is Lord, they shall be saved.”

Read Matthew Poole’s commentary...

Psalm 24 Matthew Poole's Commentary

John Calvin’s commentary...

Calvin's Commentaries, Vol. 8: Psalms, Part I: Psalm 24

This article speaks about Psalm 24...

Ligonier Ministries

Adam Clarke...

Psalms 24 Commentary - Adam Clarke Commentary

Matthew Henry...

Psalms 24 Commentary - Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete)

Now, these Brothers’ opinions and commentaries don’t supplant the scriptures, but they agreed with what I am trying to(poorly) say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.