1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cultural heritage / diversity

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 11, 2008.

?
  1. Only "American" multi culture holidays

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. Any that warrant being celebrated

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Only the ones that are now being celebrated

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Hispanic holidays such as Cinco De Mayo

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Black Holidays such as MLK day and Kwaanza

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Filipino holidays such as Imelda Marcos day

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  7. Jewish holidays such as Yom Kippur and Passover

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. Irish Holidays such as St. Patrick's Day

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  9. Other

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  10. None of the above.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Should we celebrate different holidays that refilect cultural heritage of residents of America, or should all holidays reflect one culture?

2. J.Wayne

J.Wayne New Member

AMERICAN all the way!

3. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

"Imelda Marcos" day? What happens then, do people exchange boxes of shoes? :laugh:

love,

Sopranette

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm of the opinion, that when people decided to live here in this country, they decided to leave their culture and live in ours. Our culture shouldn't have to change to accommodate the rest of the world, they chose to change to us when they moved to this country.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

We Filipinos need a Filipino day. :D

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I'm cajun...so i think we need more cajun holidays; Mardi Gras everyday!:laugh:

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

I voted "any that warrant being celebrated."

Some holidays, such as Kwanzaa, are stupid, and don't warrant celebration.

Others, such as (in Alabama), are simply excuses to give state and federal workers the day off--such as Columbus Day--and those folks oughta have to work like the rest of us.

The rest of them...let's enjoy.

8. Justlittleoldme

Justlittleoldme New Member

I don´t think we need any more federal holidays.

Having lived in several foreign countries we still celebrated US holidays. We felt that was important to our children but I certainly would not expect the countries we were living in to make them national holidays for everybody!

9. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

Speaking as an Irishman, I never could understand why Americans make such a big deal of St. Patrick's Day. Haven't you got a patron saint of your own? Maybe Pope Benedict could appoint one.

10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Ok, here's my list.

Starting with One day a week as a paid Holiday 52 days a year, Sunday as Resurrection Day. This will take care of Easter as it is on a Sunday. Now here are the rest.

1. Columbus Day
    2. St Augustine Day
    3. Jamestown Day
    4. American Indian Day
    5. Independence Day
    6. Emancipation Day
    7. General Robert E. Lee/General Ulysses S. Grant/Abraham Lincoln Day (Day of South's surrender)
    8. Veterans Day
    9. Pearl Harbor Day
    10. Germany Surrenders Day
    11. Japan Surrenders Day
    12. Apollo 11 Day
    13. 1970's Disco Duck Day

Well hey, If I was King!

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I used to think this way too. But since living over seas, I changed my view. People who immigrate to the US should try to adapt to the culture, however, there is nothing wrong with celebrating ones heritage.

Lets look at it from the other side of the coin. If you as an american lived in another country, would you not observe Independence day or Thanksgiving? As an American foreigner I can tell you that I appreciate these days and they do bring a bit of "homesickness". I believe that as a missionary I should adapt as much as I can to the culture that I now live in however, one never can totally abandon their native culture.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

what would the USA do with the thousands of gallons of green beer, then?

:D

(posted, by the way, by a teetotaller)

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

We need to remember that the United States has been, and to a degree continues to be, a multi-ethnic nation unlike other parts of the world. So I would not expect other nations to observe certain US holidays.

14. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

"When in Rome, do as the Romans."

15. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I like the "warrants being celebrated" because that allows us to distinguish between official and unofficial holidays. St. Patrick's Day is unofficial. It is never ignored, but it is not officially sanctioned. Columbus Day ... well, the Italians make much of it, and I suppose it is good to celebrate our "discovery", but now really, what is involved in celebrating that? Why should we get off work? The occasion simply does not rise to that level.

Mother's Day and Father's Day are holidays of a sort, but they are not official ones. Of course since they come on Sundays there is very little issue about taking off from work (but pity the poor pastor who takes off for Mother's Day or who decides -- as this year presents the dilemma -- to observe Pentecost instead!)

I do think MLK Day rises to that level because what he did changed this nation profoundly, and there are plenty of ways to celebrate it appropriately. Yet I recognize that the time may come when it is no longer needed.

A larger question is what we do with the holidays we have -- how do we commemorate the thing being remembered? Labor Day means a picnic or a hurried trip ... so how does that celebrate the labor movement? Memorial Day means another hurried trip and the beginning of summer pricing at the resorts ... how does that honor the nation's war dead? We really need to think that through.

16. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, but so many of us have an Irish heritage. And those that don't, wish they did.

Plus, it gives us a reason to drink some green beer.

17. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. I distinguish between official and unofficial holidays. I have no problem at all with the unofficial cultural holidays.