1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cup of God's Wrath

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Mar 3, 2008.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

While Jesus was praying at Gethsemane, He mentioned the cup of pass from Him.

We have all heard descriptions of the physical torment of the cross in sermons and movies.

Apart from that, and much deeper than that, I have always wondered if we as humans can even imagine in our minds God's wrath towards sin. It seems like something so terrible, we cannot even grasp the concept or meaning in our finite minds. Maybe on the positive side, it is something like not being able to behold God's glory in our present bodies.

What do you think? Do you think we really understand what eternal seperation from God really means? Do phrases like "where the worm does not die, or fire is not quenched" just hit the surface because we cannot understand more?

2. skypair

skypair Active Member

sat-nep, those are very interesting questions.

Do we understand what separation from God really means? I think the lost have said (per C.S. Lewis), "Leave me alone." And that is exactly what He will do in eternity. They don't realize or appreciate how much mercy He is shedding on them now -- every day -- just so that they may stay alive and come to know Him.

Do "worms" and "fire" scare them? Absolutely! I can remember as a child, fear of guilt coupled with death kept me awake at night! The "bondage of sin" is death! Paul makes that so clear, Heb 2:15. If men choose to sin, they stare death and eternity right in the face! Hence the Spirit "convicts the WORLD of sin, and of righteousness, and of DEATH," John 16:8.

We don't need to worry that some men won't think of God -- they ALL do!

skypair

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, but do the young today hear the same message we heared. Have we turned to fables??

BBob,

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I join with Skypair and BBob in saying, Good questions.

I don't think we'll fully understand it all.

Even in the punishment of the wicked the glory of God is displayed.

5. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yup. The Spirit convicts "the world" even without word of mouth, IMO.

Many have. The notion of reincarnation would 'take the edge off,' wouldn't it. But God did something wonderful, I think --- He made it extra hard to have abiding faith in untruth. So bye-and-bye, if there is no proof, false belief wanes and is, hopefully, turned to the proven truth of God.

skypair