1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Current Non-Cal Expository Pastors

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Rippon, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

Do a google search for cassette to cd. (Borrow a cassette player) There is a program you can dowload that allows you to connect your cassette player to your computer and convert the tapes. I have used it but since I had no further need for it I did not load on my new computer.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Off subject! Did he leave Chattanooga? I'm neither Calvinistic or Presbyterian at this point in my life, even though I spent 20+ years holding to both. When did Ben Haden leave Chattanooga? I've went to Chattanooga many times to hear him, enjoyed his style and was blessed by his sermons many times.

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I thought I had read that he retired from the pastorate. I would like to hear him preach in person too. I know him only from the TV ministry, and I haven't seen that for many years.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A reality check for those on this "expository" bandwagon:

This is straight from the Gospel Coalition website:thumbs:

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You've done a tremendous amount of selective quotation. Let's have the context, shall we?

And in summation:
    That all said, so what? Iain Murray is not a pastor and his opinion is just that. I love him to death, but he is not the final arbiter on this. But he does give good cautions to those who engage in pulpit ministry.

6. Mike Stidham

Mike Stidham Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Youssef is Anglican. I'm not sure where the Anglican Church stands on the whole Calvinist/Arminian divide.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Anglican Church as a whole is practically Roman Catholic in many respects. However, there are some Anglicans of the Calvinistic type:
    J.I. Packer
    John Stott
    Gerald Bray
    Peter Jensen
    R.T.France

Banner of Truth has a number of books authored by Reformed Anglicans.

8. patharris

patharris New Member

Just an observation on my part.

I preached topical until recently when I was asked to take over as a leader at one of our churches off-sites.
    I have started using expository preaching as I preach each week, mostly because our leadership models that.

As I have tried to find a definitive model for Expository preaching, it's been like nailing jello to the wall.

Some have said it shouldn't be topical at all, some say it shouldn't include your perceptions.

I'm reading Haddon Robinson right now, and even his definitions doesn't agree with what other say about expository preaching.

Makes me wonder exactly how do we define it, other then verse by verse.

Thanks
    Patrick

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Where did you get the idea that M. Youssef is Anglilcan? Do you have a source?

Edit: my apologies. Youssef is an Evangelical Anglican. I did not know that. :eek:

#49 Amy.G, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Verse by verse is one method; contextual passage is another; full chapter is yet another.

I would caution against verse by verse; it can lead to contextual errors. For example, I could preach 1 Peter 3:20 and come to the conclusion that water saves; but coupled with 1 Peter 3:21, I see a different meaning.

The biggest problem I have with topical is the use of many different verses, causing the listener to attempt to jump around to keep up with the teacher/preacher; and at times, some of the verses are used as support of the topic, while their context was something else entirely.

11. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Check out Luke 24:27- my name sake.

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another much-needed reality check for those obsessed with "expository preaching":

(From an address by Dr. Peter Masters at the 2010 Metropolitan Tabernacle School of Theology)

Pitfalls of expository preaching:

- It can be too slow

- The style of the preacher can steamroller the Holy Spirit

- It can be a form of priestcraft when over-detailed, leading church members to despair of ever understanding God’s word on their own

- It can impose rather than respond

- It can be overtaken by the ‘New Evangelical Hermeneutic’

- There can be lack of application

- It is not much good for evangelism

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So one? ;)

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Every word he said, every breath he took was an exposition of the Father.

Scripture says, "No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared (Greek- "exegeted") him."

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Talking about sermons and preaching, are we not? When He spoke in parables, was He exegeting Scripture?

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I take it that you've never heard it done well... :laugh:

Please listen to this "introduction" to an expository sermon by John Piper, both a Calvinist and an expository preacher.

I'll await your comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chuX6U-nX_8

18. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Yes.......

19. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Jerome, had a chance to check out the video yet? Just wondering...

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow. That's summing up all expository preachers huh? Not.

The topical grab a text as platform and go off on a slobbering rant being supplanted by good expositional preaching is the best thing that has ever happened.

Those who go against expositional preaching tend to:

1. Try to exposit scripture here on BB and lay claim to context, et al. Then out the other side they disdain it in the pulpit. (No wonder most church people have no grasp on Biblical truth)

2. In general cannot outline a passage of Scripture, as witnessed on another thread concerning the Gospel, and in turn destroy its meaning and context or whatever else is needed to be done to it so they can remain right, while being blatantly wrong.

3. Show hatred for scholarship and scholars, yet attempt to sound like one themselves, and attempt to wax intellectual.

4. Enjoy rant and rage sermons that tend to fly the flag of their own personal slants on what is right and wrong, such as KJVO, women and pants, and whatever else fits. (This also is heaping to themselves teachers, having itching ears) :)

5. Use personal experience as a base for truth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.