1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D James Kennedy wastes thousands of dollars

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Daniel David, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agrre with your sentiments totally, SheEagle,
    as for scriptural justification (and that doing good requires any justification is sad) how about it simply being the current application of Matthew 25 (hope that it's the NIV translation doesn't offend too many)

34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
    37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
    40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

2. Forever settled in heaven

of the 3, i only see the 1st as POSSIBLY including society in general.

even then, i'm pretty sure it's not that--we don't see the "deacons" in Acts administrating to all the widows n fatherless of Jerusalem but those who r in the number.

there's one verse that might work out for social causes, though--"let us do good unto all men, esp to those who r of the household of faith"--now, that says that there's a general civic duty for us which must NOT exceed that of our duty to the church folks.

3. soulstice

soulstice New Member

I'm surprised noone remembers that the law is what brings us to God. People need to see the law of God constantly -not for morality's sake but for it's convicting power.

4. Tim

Tim New Member

SS, Welcome to the BB Debate forum!

Now that you feel welcome, let me challege your point. It seems you're loosely quoting Gal. 3:24--but the tense of that verse is PAST, not present. The Law WAS a schoolmaster until Christ. And as verse 25 notes, "we are no longer under a schoolmaster."

Again-- welcome,

Tim

5. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Sheeagle, feel free to discuss the topic of this thread at any time.

Moore and Kennedy have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars fighting a cause that it neither biblical nor profitable. They are both bastions of ignorance on this issue. Of course, Kennedy thinks that morality can be legislated.

So, God's law didn't help God's people, but America's law can help Americans? No thanks. I will opt for truth and reject that fool, errrggg, judge Moore.

6. Jacob

Jacob Member

RELAX!!! The poor guy has lost his case, job and reputation for standing for what he believes to be glorifying to God.

We can't legislate people to get saved. But the law is a teacher. The more and more that God, and Christian morality is removed form society, the less and less people are exposed to things of God and further and further removed from accepting his ultimate revelation of salvation.

Jacob.

7. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Wrong! The gospel is the POWER OF GOD unto salvation to all who believe.

I must say how shocked I am at some of the thoughts expressed here. I suppose it is easier to be political though.

8. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dr. Kennedy spoke in a meeting I was in this week - the Missouri Baptist Convention's Annual Gathering - and he made the following claims.

1. There are more Christians in Africa than there are people in North America.

2. There are more people worldwide coming to Christ daily than at any other time in history - 200,000 per day.

3. Within a very few years Christians will outnumber any other group in America.

Can anyone refute those claims?

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

How ironic ... a presbyterian speaking at the MBC's gathering ..

I think the bigger question is can anyone really sustain them with any accuracy?? How in the world would you know this??? The first is likely wrong based on the mere numbers of the population. And who in the world has talked to all of those people and gotten even a verbal testimony, much less observed their life?? Africa is well known to be a majority spiritist/tribal religion in many parts.

On the second assertion, how does anyone know how many people are coming to Christ each day?? I can't see how anyone can make this claim.

ON the third, again, how can you say this??

The mistake of this kind of thinking is that Christianity (at least biblical Christianity) is not a statistical system. You can't survey 1000 people and find out the true state of affairs in Christianity. The very method itself is flawed and useless.

10. Lil Sister

Lil Sister New Member

As far as his quote that more people in Africa are Christians than all in N. America...
    I consider that, as D. James Kennedy is broadly ecumenical he probably also includes those who do not adhere to Biblical truth but still call themselves Christian: i.e. Roman Catholic, Coptic, Seventh Day Adventist and others.
    Also, Kennedy is a baby-wetter. According to Presbyterian (Reformed/Covenantal) theology, once you wet your child by "the clergy" they are part of Christ's church! They dance around it and say, "But that doesn't mean they are saved!" That shows the error of their doctrine.
    I realize many of the things Kennedy says are good, many others *sound* good, but I'd rather avoid someone like him who mixes so much truth with so much error [ecumenism, life under the Law through the Westminster Confession of Faith, etc.]
    Saying all that, I recognize there are some truly excellent Presb/Ref men & women of the past (Matthew Henry, Anne Bradstreet, etc.); you just have to pick out the bones (Law & baby wetting)! [​IMG]

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong! The gospel is the POWER OF GOD unto salvation to all who believe.

I must say how shocked I am at some of the thoughts expressed here. I suppose it is easier to be political though.
    </font>[/QUOTE]How is anyone to know exactly what he's being saved from, if they aren't told about their disobedience and the dreadful curse they are under? Is the LAW any less the Word of God than the Gospel? The law IS the schoolmaster that brings us to Christ. All Scripture is profitable for instruction in righteousness.

I'm still waiting for a reply about my first question. Are you in favor of laws against abortion? What of theft?

(Kennedy and Moore) are both bastions of ignorance on this issue. Of course, Kennedy thinks that morality can be legislated.

Let's put this tired old argument too rest. All law legislates morality. The only reason the state can step in and punish me for taking your car is because God said, "Thou shalt not steal."

If I was attempting to break into your house and kill you, I have no doubt you would be dialing 911 to get the law involved and invoke the power of the state to forcibly prevent my immorality. That's what the law is for. It isn't to make me righteous. It is to protect righteous people.

And the question isn't whether or not law legislates morality, it is about whose morality it will legislates.

Once morality and righteousness are removed as the foundation of law, then the state becomes an oppressor.

The issue with Judge Moore and the Ten Commandments is whether or not Moore was breaking the law to put the monument in the courthouse and whether or not the federal judge had the authority to order it removed.

The long and the short of it is that Moore broke no law and the federal court has no jurisdiction in the matter.