1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D. Phil or M.Div

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by R. Lawson, Jan 10, 2011.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Completely agree! :thumbsup:

On the selection committee of a local college I work with we will go through many resumes and if there is a questionable degree, specifically unaccredited, we are more likely to investigate other candidates.

Also I'll toss this in again...I just don't think hopes of getting a PhD in theology from a second or lower tier stateside school and finding a full tenured faculty position are realistic. It can happen but you have to jump on writing, researching, and networking like crazy. With colleges and universities downsizing their humanities programs and moving to part-time/adjunct faculty there are less opportunities available.

Finally, if you're looking to do a Doctorate at Liberty you absolutely need an accredited masters degree of substance in your CV. I know several committee members there and they have such a plethora of well qualified candidates that unaccredited degrees are hurting possible doctoral candidates. (Especially PhD applicants...because you can't teach with a DMin.)

Just rambling at this point so carry on! :)

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    PJ Response

PJ Response,

Of course I would beg to differ with you, what about;

David Buttrick,
    Calvin Miller,
    And sweet little ole me,

Who all teach with Doctor of Ministry degrees? LOL! :smilewinkgrin:

And I am in no stretch of the imagination comparing myself to them!!!

"That is all!"

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps I should have added a forward thought with that statement. Certainly there are some (usually extraordinary individuals) who are able to teach with a DMin. Yet with the number of PhDs being produced by seminaries and research institutions within 15 years you will have to be a well placed and unique individual to teach with only a DMin. :saint:

I know of a preaching prof at SWBTS who showed up with a DMin and was hired (rightly so he's outstanding) and then was given the opportunity, and requirement, to pursue a PhD to complete his CV for tenure.

4. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

:thumbsup: My plan to get an accredited degree is to attend SATs after I attend CES, then perhaps attend Liberty. Right now my focus is CES.:1_grouphug:

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have taught at the college level with a D.Min. but only as "temporary" in a challenging spot for a small ifb school. I also had 25+ years pastoral experience and wide variety of undergrad degrees, so that was a plus. But they were looking for Ph.D. types.

I finished an Ed.D. program in History/Social Studies Education from a small non-accredited college. Six years later the school "folded" so that neat-sounding degree is virtually worthless.

I would recommend REAL accredited (from a place not ready to "fold" :eek: ) would be the direction to go. I love St Alcuin - in 1996 I traveled with Bro Peter of the school and others throughout Turkey/Greece/Italy in planning my Ph.D. on the geography/history of Paul's travel.

(College of St Alcuin is "General" Catholic - not Roman or Anglican - but is mostly distance ed and non-accredited. Any such programs are inherently weaker and less suited for future work as a professor)

6. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

That's nifty that you know Peter, Bob. He's such a nice guy!

I do plan on getting an accredited degree. I'm doing what I can until I can afford to go to an accredited university. My pastor wanted me to get a degree; he did not care if it was accredited or not. I did, but I thought I could do more in my free time.:thumbs: