1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daddy sang bass, Momma sang tenor

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gib, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

Do we have any choir members on the BB. What part do you sing? How many choir members do you have? What are 2-3 of your favorite songs that your choir sings?

Share a funny story that may have happened in rehearsal or during the service.

2. Gods Singer

Gods Singer New Member

Well our church used to have a choir. and I lead the singing. Do you think the smaller churches are falling to way side?
    I think the smaller churches are more family than the big congrications. When I say churches I mean the body not the building. We are the church, right?.
    A funny story

On sunday nights it is pick your favorite,
    My Sheep know my voice pg 257
    What a Friend pg 313
    I stand amazed pg 72

Our pastor makes up his own words, our pianoist tries to keep up, it makes me get tickeled I get all confused of what we are singing.
    Sometimes we have to stop and start again.

Praise the Lord anyway.

[​IMG]

3. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

My church doesn't have a choir. But I sang in my college's choir for four years and we sang primarily sacred music. I sing soprano, but will sing second or alto, if necessary. I actually prefer the challenge of second, when the part is even paid attention to. :(

Our college choir had, I seem to remember, 35 members, at least on average.

Some of my memorable favorites were "The Lord Bless You and Keep You," "O Nata Lux," "O magnum mysterium," "There is a balm in Gilead," "Go Where I Send Thee," Mozart's "Ave verum corpus" and the "Sanctus" and "Benedictus" from the Missa Brevis, "Every Time I Feel the Spirit," "Precious Lord," "Steal Away," "Regina Coeli" and "Bound for Canaan's Land."

Part V of Bach's Christmas Oratorio was especially nice to perform. Long, and vocally exhausting, but lovely.

Funny stories? Hmm. Nothing really all that funny that would make sense here, but one time we knew we were in trouble when, about sixteen measures into a nice little madrigal, our director stopped us, turned to the audience, gave them his apologies and said that we would be re-starting the piece. He took the blame for the audience, but when he turned back around and we saw his eyes? Oh, boy -- what a lecture we got later! I knew as soon as we started that two sections were off pitch, and there were several people from ecah section not following his conduction, but never thought I'd see the day that a conductor would stop a song in the middle of a concert!

4. Gib

Gib Active Member

I sang in many choirs during my time at college. My favorite was the "Mens Chorale". I sang with the group for 4 yrs. I was a good ole barelytone. Most of the men were music majors with the exception of a theology major every once in a while. It was usually a cappella, but every now and then, piano accmp. We were good. We rehearsed every week, memorized everything, and sang little. Christmas, 1 to 2 tours a year, and a few special occasions. Our director was a very godly man. He demanded 110 % during rehearsal. It always pd off.

You were not late to his class, nor did you leave early. If you did so he would stop the class and stare at you coming and leaving. He would not start class until everyone was there. You did not want to be the last one in. He would give you that Look :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . I remember one day during rehearsal, he was pounding it out with the tenors. I left for the bathroom. He sent someone in after me to see how long I was going to be. :( I walked back in and he was slumped over and rubbing his face with both hands. I sat down and he asked if we could start now. Uh-oh.

When we did sing, he could hear wrong notes. He would make a gun with his hand while conducting and shoot you with it. Of course he would ;) and smile but you knew you had been caught. He was a hard man, but fair. He tried to prepare us for music ministry in the real world. He could get under your skin.

I remember one day he dug in deep. I wanted to confront him. Me and a friend saw him in the grocery store later that day. I went to tell him what I thought of him. As I went around the corner there he was on one knee, talking to a young boy and his mother. He was inviting the boy to VBS and his mother to church. I felt as tall as a penny. I learned over the years he was hard at school but very loving away from school.

The funny thing that happened was we were at a church for a concert. We got there 3 hrs early. Someone broke out a football and we played touch football in our suits. I tripped on a root and fell on a 1st tenor and broke his foot. The director just shook his head and was tempted to drop me a letter grade.. [​IMG]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love to sing. As Chuck Swindoll said, If you don't like to sing together, you won't be too happy in heaven!

Sang bass since 3rd grade (voice changed and I grew - was 5'8" by 6th grade). Played the concert string bass since then, too. But as the years went by, I shifted to second tenor. Nice range for me. Sang it all through college in the chorale and madrigal quires.

Church choirs are not as much quality or practice, but fun singing. We do one for Christmas and for Easter - about two months practice for each cantata. Far cry from doing Handel's Messiah as we did in college, but still fun.

Favorite pieces? "Peaceable Kingdom" (8-part harmony); "Born Today" (hodie natalie est) was a favorite 16th Century madrigal.

Strangest experience? Did a baptism at the close of a service. Our tank was behind the choir, with a plexi-glass front to keep water from sloshing out.

I was dunking a 400lb + lady and she was so bulbously fat that when I lower her head under, 90% of her body floating high and dry! So my "water deacon" assisting me pushed down on her legs to get her totally immersed.

Can anyone say Niagara Falls? With the water displacement, it overflowed all over the choir loft, with folks running for their lives! :rolleyes: