1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dance Routines in Worship?

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Phil310, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I'm not a big fan of dance in worship but in order to defend why I look to the Bible. Can anyone direct me to a portion of Scripture that forbids dancing in the New Testament church worship? I'm looking for a direct statement especially but will settle for an indirect or principle verse.

Thanks for any help.

My concern is that of preaching opinion rather than Bible. I don't want to be accused of preaching my own opinion. Any thoughts?

Phil310:type: :wavey:

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ps 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
    Ps 150:4 Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.
    Ec 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
    Jer 31:13 Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow

3. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Thanks for the Scripture. These were some of the same that I came up with as well. So when someone criticizes this practice during preaching is he preaching opinion? And if so, which is the greater sin?

Phil310:Fish: :praise:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a fear that dancing would turn to some sort of emotional orgie. Dancing doesnt mean to us what it did to the Hebrews. Some folks just cannot relate to dancing other than as some sensual activity. I have to say that it wouldnt mean much to me. I could not dance and be lifting God up in my heart regardless of the format. But it was used in celebration by the Hebrews.

In Orlando Fl there is a park called the Holy Land experience. The dance is part of the Jewish celebration in one of their shows. It is done very tastefully without sensuality.

http://www.holylandexperience.com/

5. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

We regularly have dance as a part of our worship. Done correctly it can be a beautiful and tasteful addition to worship. We will have a young lady dance to a monologue on the woman healed from the issue of blood in a few weeks. From what I know, it will be extremely powerful.

And you will find no Scripture to suggest dance cannot be used in worship. If anything, you will find the opposite (as the texts cited above indicate).

6. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

Thanks for your help. I feel the same way but for some reason it just does not sit well with me. I'll not criticize those who practice is nor will I object to it in the future. But I may approach it with caution.

Great help...thanks.:thumbs: :smilewinkgrin: :wavey:

7. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Well, since the Old Testament is to be a basis for modern day "New Testament Church" type worship/practice. I would like to see some churches go all out to follow the all of the Old Testament practices....stoning, animal sacrifices, fighting wars, levitcal practices, etc. Silly, huh?! Well, if we claim four or five verses as condoning a certain practice from the Old Testament we must claim them all, right!?!

Are these verses literal dancing? Are the just figurative descriptions of an inner attitude? What was the cultural impact in regards to this dancing? May I would be bold to say that dancing nowadays is a very secular term and practice I would stay away from it in the church! If I asked the average person (saved or unsaved) what they thought it meant if I said, "I'm going dancing!" what do you think would be their reply? Oh you're going to church? Or what club are you going to? Most people associate dance with things of the world and not the church. We are to be separated & different...to keep our message pure and our testimony honest.

~~Martin
    Phil 1:6

#7 MRCoon, Jun 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2006
  8. gekko

gekko New Member

although you may call those who try to follow the old testament "legalist" - in fact you yourself are labelling yourself as legalist. think about that - i will not explain - for it is too simple.

"Well, if we claim four or five verses as condoning a certain practice from the Old Testament we must claim them all, right!?!"

well then Mr Coon - you can throw your old testament away - while I keep the whole of scripture intact. throw stones at me if you wish. :D

i love what is called "freestyle dancing" - i dont know if its an official word or not - but its just where you make up your own dance moves. i love expressing myself that way.

"most people associate dance with things of the world and not the church" - well then! that gives us more the reason to change that! doesn't it? or do you wish not to evangelize?

do you take everything in the bible figuratively? seems you do - so what does "thou shalt not bear false witness" mean in the figurative language?
    well - you can't have one part figurative and the other literal can you? i mean - how do you know where to interpret it literally vs. figuratively?

oh... have we forgotten about king david dancing in the streets? and naked nonetheless... oh poor king david - shame on him! lol

do you take part in the old testament practice of "lean not on your own understanding..." ? if so... i guess you'd better take part in all those animal sacrifices there Coon!

or how about the one where Isaiah says "here am I, send me" - do you ever say that to the Lord? if so... well you'd better get goin on those levitical laws eh?

why dont we go through the ten commandments?
    1) thou shalt have no other gods before me
    2)thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image
    3)thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
    4)remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy
    5)honour thy father and thy mother
    6)thou shalt not kill
    7)thou shalt not commit adultery
    8)thou shalt not steal
    9)thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour
    10)thou shalt not covet

and lets look at how Jesus expanded on the 6th and 7th commandment: Jesus said that any man who hates anybody has committed murder in their hearts. Jesus said that whoever looks upon a woman to lust after her has committed adultery already with her in his heart.

now - do you follow those old testament practices? i sure hope so. if so... you gon' be fighting any wars sometime soon? i'd love to join in - if its for a righteous cause that is.

after looking at the mirror of the ten commandments - do you consider yourself to be a good person? didn't think so.

and besides - are you to tell people what they should and shouldn't do what is in the word of God? are you in any place of authority to label old testament practices "silly"? no. didn't think so.

so if you follow the ten commandments... better rethink your post a little.
    if not - i dont believe you are soundly saved. period.
    ---

9. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

gekko, you are a nut case! What is the old saying......."Keep your mouth closed and people will wonder about your lack of intelligence or open your mouth and erase all doubt".

10. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

"Well, since the Old Testament is to be a basis for modern day "New Testament Church" type worship/practice. I would like to see some churches go all out to follow the all of the Old Testament practices....stoning, animal sacrifices, fighting wars, levitcal practices, etc. Silly, huh?! Well, if we claim four or five verses as condoning a certain practice from the Old Testament we must claim them all, right!?!"

I wonder where the phrase "the old paths" comes from...The Old or New Testament?:wavey:

11. gekko

gekko New Member

shiloh... "gekko, you are a nut case! What is the old saying......."Keep your mouth closed and people will wonder about your lack of intelligence or open your mouth and erase all doubt"."

hmm... do you plan to explain why you labelled me a nut case any time soon? cause im wondering why...

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen liturgical dance and, frankly, it just doesn't do anything for me. Which is neither here nor there about the principle.

1. Dancing could be acceptable in that it is not specifically forbidden by the New Testament.

2. Dancing could be acceptable in that it follows some New Testament principle that would allow for dancing but does not specifically endorse it.

3. Dancing may be forbidden because it does not follow the example of the church as outlined in the New Testament.

I reject the claim that something endorsed for worship in the temple is automatically applicable to the church. If you want a temporal model of early church services, look at the synagogues, not the temple.

13. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Don't spend too much time worrying about it gekko---that is just Shiloh's gentle loving way of dealing with a brother... He is good at it don't you think?:rolleyes:

Bro Tony

14. gekko

gekko New Member

haha. so true bro. tony.

and very good points there rsr!

15. Phil310

Phil310 New Member

I found these Scriptures in the Psalms.

He is to be praised in the congregation of saints.
    Psalms 149:1-9 KJVR Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints. (2) Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King. (3) Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.

He is to be praised in His sanctuary.
    Psalms 150:1-6 KJVR Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. (2) Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness. (3) Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp. (4) Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs. (5) Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals. (6) Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Still working this thing out.
    Thanks for all of the input.
    Phil310:applause:

16. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Yes, we are separate from the world and peculiar. But based on your line of reason, Christians stop wearing a suit and tie because when the world sees a suit and tie, they associate it with a business man or a lawyer.

The Bible instructs believers to dance, point blank. Can you provide instruction from the Word that restricts dance while worship?

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you point out a single, point-blank instance in the New Testament where Christians are commanded to dance as an act of worship? Can you provide any evidence that the early church practiced dance as an act of worship?

18. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

The act of worship is NOT confined to the NT or the NT church.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It is not so much that you dance as it is the reason why you dance. People worship the LORD according to their understanding and talents. If your talent is dancing and you dance to the kingdom then dance. I find it no different than the pianist or organist or singers in the Church. That is the basis to what the Psalms is sayings.

Since worship is in spirit and in truth, if you dance to the glory of GOD with truth of worship on your heart then I find no problem with it. I think any verse you find contrary will be stretching the truth. It is not that we are commanded to dance, we are not told we can't dance.

We have spiritual service in our Church. This means we believe in and invite the Holy spirit coming into our service. What is described in Acts 2:2 could be considered pandamonium in some Churches, but it would be a normal sunday in ours. When the spirit comes, no one can predict what will happen to you. I have seen some just sit and cry while others run out the doors into the streets.

20. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, there is no New Testament warrant for those practices during Christian worship either.