1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dare To Believe The Best

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by HeDied4U, Oct 13, 2003.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Professor Howard Hendricks writes: "By the 5th grade I felt insecure, unloved and angry at life. My teacher, Miss Simon, apparently thought I was blind to the problem because she regularly reminded me, 'Hendricks, you're the worst child in this school.' So I proceeded to live up to her opinion of me. Upon entering the 6th grade, my new teacher, Miss Noe, glanced over to where I was sitting, defiantly, just waiting to go into action. Smiling she said, 'Hendricks, I've heard a lot about you but I don't believe a word of it!'

"That was a turning point in my life. For the first time, somebody saw potential in me! Miss Noe put me on special assignments. She invited me to stay after school and work with her. As a result, I couldn't let her down. Once I got so involved in my homework, I stayed up until 1:30 am. My father came down the hall and said, 'Son, are you sick?' I replied, 'No, I'm doing my homework.' He rubbed his eyes and shook his head in disbelief; he'd never heard me say anything like that before. What made the difference? Somebody was willing to believe in me, while challenging me with higher expectations. That was risky, because there was no guarantee I'd honour her trust."

Everybody likes the end product of mentoring, especially when it yields a peak-performer. But how many of us are willing to risk dealing with the person on the front end? Those who are, demonstrate the kind of love that - never fails!

** courtesy of The Vine **

---------------------------

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Our attitudes and expectations are much more influential than we will ever know.

3. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Our attitudes and expectations are much more influential than we will ever know. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I agree with Loren BOTH times! [​IMG]

(Thanks Adam for sharing the story)

5. David Mark

David Mark New Member

6. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

It worked for me, too Adam! Teachers in grade school and high school never gave me a passing glance--but my parents believed in me and kept encouraging me---helped me through university and seminary---believed in me when the Lord Jesus called me to preach(I never could get a home church preacher to "believe" that the Lord actually "called" me to preach)---but He did--and I did--and my parents did--and now I do and my wife does---and it works---

Thanks for the article, Brother!

Brother David

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That article is one of the greatest commendations a teacher can receive. That same thing happened to me when two teachers took a personal interest in me and it changed my life. My parents were always negative about life in general. Because of the encouragement of those two teachers and the success I saw in high school I went on to college and graduate school and seminary.

What the enocuragement of one or two teachers can do is amazing!