1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daughter sues parents for financial support and college tuition, claims they owe her!

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Morris Catholic High School honor student and athlete who claims her parents threw her out of their Lincoln Park home when she turned 18 has taken the highly unusual step of suing them for immediate financial support and to force them to pay for her college education.

Private high school senior Rachel Canning, a cheerleader and lacrosse player who has aspirations to be a biomedical engineer, filed a lawsuit last week in the Family Part of state Superior Court in Morristown that seeks a judge’s declaration that she is nonemancipated and dependent as a student on her parents for support.

Judge Peter Bogaard, sitting in Morristown, has scheduled a hearing for Tuesday. Rachel Canning’s lawyer, Tanya N. Helfand, will ask that parents Sean and Elizabeth Canning, who haven’t paid an outstanding $5,306 Morris Catholic tuition bill, be ordered to settle that debt, pay Rachel’s current living and transportation expenses, and commit an existing college fund to their daughter, who has received acceptance letters from several universities and has to make a decision this spring.

The father said that he and his wife did stop paying the Morris Catholic tuition and have kept Rachel’s car because they paid for it. The father contended that Rachel moved out because she didn’t want to abide by simple household rules — be respectful, keep a curfew, return “borrowed” items to her two sisters, manage a few chores, and reconsider or end her relationship with a boyfriend the parents believe is a bad influence.

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/...pport-and-college-tuition-claims-they-owe-her

2. thisnumbersdisconnected

The sad thing is, while Rachel isn't owed squat by her parents, the courts are probably going to side with her. Disgusting.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is very true. Her parents are no longer involved in her healthcare nor can they force her to do anything (because she's an "adult" you know) but in this case, I'm sure they will probably go with the girl.

But then again, they may just have a brain!

4. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, That female journalist on MSNBC, I think her name is Melissa Perry. She says in a MSNBC ad that children belong to the Government. I say sue Obama and his administration for creating this kind of environment.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

:thumbsup: Works for me. I'll provide the telephone numbers of lawyers I see on television soliciting clients for whom they will sue someone for any reason.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Forget suing them - just send them the bill!!

I know someone who was having problems with their child and due to the law, they were required to provide shelter, food and clothing for the child and the child threw that in the parent's face. So parents did what any good parent would do: they left a bare mattress on the floor with everything else taken out of the room and stored where child didn't know where it was. They left clothing for the child - clothing that the parents went out to purchase for the child (not, it was NOT the latest style) and they provided the very basics of food: water, milk, bran flakes, bananas, broccoli and spinach, plain cooked chicken, beef liver and whole grain bread. :) That's all. There was nothing that CPS could do because the parent supplied exactly what they should. :D

7. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why educate her? She already knows it all....

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    in my time back in the old country, she'd get a shiner right in front of the judge.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm betting the parents lose this one - knew someone who lived there and was shocked to find out the age of majority there is 21, not 18, so the obligation is still there. At least it was...unless things changed now. I thought it was 18 across the whole nation, but it is different in certain states, and some even base it on whether or not a child is still in high school or not. IE if they have graduated and they are 18, the obligation ends, but they might be 19 and still in high school, so the legal obligation hasn't ended...

Family courts could care less about that kid or her family. They're making money off her and her family, the lawyers get to make names for themselves, and the media has a story to report. The only people being harmed are the ones in the family. These idiots who think they're helping this girl are only interfering in a family issue that needs to be left to the family. They need to step out of it and let the parents parent this girl, not rescue her from the consequences of her disobedience.

But nope. The dirty laundry is now out in public, the family is getting destroyed, everyone is making their money and getting their kicks out of it, and there will be no money left over for ANYONE in this family to go to college or even to the movies, if any of them are emotionally capable of caring about any such thing after this mess.

What a shame.

10. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reminds me of a t-shirt I once saw on a toddler. It read, "If Mommy says no, I'm telling Grandma!" Only in this case, it's a teenager, not a toddler with the bad attitude.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moved out and living where, with whom? Why haven't they (who she's living with now) said get your privileged rear end back home where you belong?

On another note, she is going regret this, beyond what she can imagine, when actually she grows up, instead of just turning eighteen.

Ugh, family court can be just awful.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the op:

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So with the boyfriend?

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I didn't realize she wasn't in New York! That changes things as far as the law...though they do have that weird fluid thing about when someone is no longer in need of support.

Sounds like he struck down the immediate support, but keep the college funds as they are for now, and there's another hearing coming up about college support. And did I understand right, that he ordered health insurance be kept? That sounds odd to me, that anyone is obligated to pay for someone's health insurance, or is that part of the new stuff under Obama - required to provide insurance for our kids until they're a certain age? That I'd like to know.

#14 Gina B, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014