1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daughter wants to be baptized

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Gina B, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

My 8 yr. old wants to be baptized. I said we would talk to the pastor about it Sunday. I've always thought I'd make them wait until they were older, but the way the conversation happened maybe I shouldn't.
    We were talking about the cross. I asked her to tell me about it, so she did. I asked her why that happened, why Jesus died. She answered so he could pay for everyone's sins. Then I asked her what she thought about it. She answered that it made her sad that people sinned and he had to do that for us, and that she had prayed and asked for her sins to be taken away and that she was sorry she did bad things like not obeying me. I have noticed a change in her the last few weeks, but didn't know why as she hadn't told me she did this. I asked why she would pray to Jesus, someone she couldn't see, and not just tell ME she was sorry, and she simply said "because I believe in him."
    Can't argue with that! Then I asked her if she remembered when we went to the lake with our church and I went in, she said yes and asked why, so I told her it was because I believed in Jesus too, and he told us that when we believe in him we should tell everyone about him and when we get baptized we're showing the church that we believe in him too. So she said "I think I should do that then".
    What do you guys think about this? Does it sound alright? Should I go ahead with talking to the pastor about it? Is there anything else I should ask/talk to my daughter first?
    Gina

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This is one of the flaws with the Baptist requirement for a believer's baptism. How young is too young? There's no set standard.

My personal preference is that children wait until they're at least 12 or 13. But that's just my extra-biblical personal preference.

The decision should ultimately be up to the parent, the pastor, and the one being baptized.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I'd have the preacher talk with her but she seems to understand. I was 8 when I was saved and have no doubt that I understood.

Diane

4. tgarnsey

tgarnsey New Member

I think if you truly think she understands then praise god. She definitly wants to be obedient to christ so id let her if you truly think she understands.

5. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If she has a credible proffession of faith, then it is time for her to be baptised. - Remember it is the baptism of belivers that baptists profess, not the baptism of adults.

Of my 4 boys, one was 9 when baptised, another 10, one 12 and the other 17. Each when convinced in their hearts that it was God's leading.

My prayers and best wished for her at this time, and for you too [​IMG]

Regards
    Bob

6. UnashamedYouth

UnashamedYouth New Member

Yeah there's no set standard... our Pastor said he'd rather baptise a soul one too many that not enough(meaning they can come give their life to christ each week when they're a child and he wouldn't mind)

he always speaks to the child before he says yes... like my little brother is 8(foster brother) and he just thinks it's a big swimming pool... :rolleyes:

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina, I just recently had the same conversation with my daughter, and she gave me the same answers. We baptized her a couple of weeks ago. She's 6.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

When we are saved the Holy Spirit in us casues us to desire to be saved. If after a few weeks she still on her own wants to be baptized then go a head. If she is saved she won't give up on it, if she isn't she'll forget about it in a few days. And if she is saved you don't want to deny her the oppertunity to obey God and follw Christ in baptism.
    Thats my two cents worth anyway.

9. Merrill

Merrill New Member

[​IMG]
    Amen, Praise the Lord for that little girl. Sounds like she has a defined testimony of Jesus and I would say absolutely let her be baptised.
    If it is in her heart like it sounds then why not ? Do any of us think that Jesus would deny her that ? NO I do not think so. Yes, Yes, Yes
    Praise the Lord, Amen [​IMG]

10. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

Gina,

You already know the verse where Jesus does not let anyone keep the little children from him, and that it is to such as these belong the kingdom of heaven. I would just remind you of that verse.

If she desires to be baptized, do not hinder her. Certianly, no harm can come of it.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Well, the pastors wife will come talk to her sometime she said.
    The SS teacher seems to think maybe wait based on how she questioned her, but I think that's because she wanted to hear certain "words" from her.
    I've purposely NOT taught my kids pat phrases and words. She can't tell you what the word saved means, but she will tell you that she feels both sad and happy that Jesus died for our sins. She can't tell you she's said the sinners prayer or "asked Jesus into her heart", but she'll tell you she prayed and said she was sorry for her sins. She didn't even know why people get baptized, I told her why and that God said to and she then she thought she should do it. I wanted it to come from her heart, feeling strongly that just reading the word of God to her and setting a good example would lead her to faith. My personal thought is that this happened based on the almost word for word conversation I related in the first post, which didn't include all of it. More than that, I've seen the change in her behavior and attitude.
    So, I'm convinced now she should be baptized and not to allow her to do so would be wrong.
    So, that's what I'm going with. Hopefully the church agrees with me. If they don't, we have a bathtub! ;) LOL But I don't think they'd not allow it.
    Gina