1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Daughter

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests & Praise' started by Deacon, May 13, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Deacon--

I can empathsize w/ you to some extent because I went through some of what you described myself last winter (Today it's close to 100 deg F outside w/an air quality alert issued for Metro Nashvile--not exactly winter any more!) when I was in recovery from my stoke.

OTOH, I'm sure it's way different w/you, having to see your own beloved daughter having to suffer w/what she must have to.

I'm praying that God will minister healing not only to her, but also to you & your family.

Can't help remembering those words God inspired Moses on his deathbed to write for us:

"The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms" --- Deut. 33:27a

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Been there, done that!! I'm praying for clear answers, for healing and for strength for you as well!! It's just not easy having a child who is really ill. :(

3. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

Praying for your daughter and your family.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots to pray about this week.

We transferred my daughter to Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia on Saturday morning after a week in a local hospital.

The diagnosis is superior mesenteric artery syndrome manifesting itself as nausea, vomiting and anorexia. It is complicated with a large persistent plural effusion causing shortness of breath.

As long as she doesn’t eat she feels fine. She’s in good spirits but hungry.

Today she will have an naso-jejunum tube placed for nourishment over the next few months. .

Late presentation of superior Mesenteric artery syndrome following scoliosis surgery [LINK]

Rob

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Arg!! I hated the complications that Lauren had and I see so much of the same in your daughter. I'm praying that she will be able to get through this well and that this will be a time of grace from God for you all and for the staff working with her!

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today marks two weeks in the hospital. My daughter looks and feels much better.

The naso-jejunal tube was inserted and the infusion was slowly increased to 2500 calories a day.

Last evening she took me on a walk to get some sun in front of the hospital then we ate real food in the hospital cafeteria – she has an appetite but can’t tolerate very much food at a time without feeling discomfort.

Barring any further problems, she will be discharged tomorrow.
    The tube will stay in for a month or more.

Only time will tell if feeding will reanimate the intestines, if not then surgery is the other option.

Thanks for your prayers.

By the way, I recieved the bill for her spinal surgery Wednesday - $216,000 for the operation and 9 days in the hospital :eek:
    I'm not complaining about the cost of my health insurance this year!

Rob

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's our privilege to partner with you in prayer for your daughter!

Yikes!! Lauren was in for more than that and her bill was less than that!! I believe all added up, it was $175,000. I love the fact that it's just $5,000 a day for the room!!

8. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

Praying for a miracle for your daughter!
    God is good at doing the impossible!
    May God's will be done!

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Wow Deacon, ya'll have been through the wringer the last two weeks. I'm glad your daughter is feeling better and will pray that surgery can be avoided.

I understand about the bill too. :eek: I got in the bill for the life flight portion of T's trip to the ER and it was over $21,000!! :eek: I hate to even think how much his week in NICU (that's neuro, not newborn lol) is going to be. I'm not complaining about the cost of insurance here either!

10. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter has had the NJ-tube in for about a month and she's gained about 12 lbs.
    She weighs more now than she ever has at about 118 lbs.
    She looks and feels good and goes about her everyday activities without any major difficulty.

Today she saw the gastrointestinal doctor.
    The plan is to taper her tube feedings down and stop them in a few days.
    If she can maintain her weight without nausea, all is well.

We have an appointment with her surgeon and a second appointment with the GI-doc. next Monday.
    If everything's in order, college starts on August 20th. :eek:

That's cutting things very close – I wish we could have had a few more weeks.

God's been good and has protected her in so many ways.

Rob

11. jilphn1022

jilphn1022 New Member

What good news!
    We will continue to pray that your precious daughter will continue to improve and that her surgeon and GI-doctor will both be amazed at your daughter's progress!! May she be able to start college Aug. 20th , Lord willing!

Praying for her healing and for her wonderful parents too!

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Sounds good. Perhaps school starting will be a blessing in disguise as far as being a distraction. Sometimes distraction is a beautiful thing and makes some medical issues a bit better simply because it takes it off the mind as a primary focus. Let us know how it goes!

13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully this will be my last update.

We visited the orthopedic surgeon this morning and got the thumbs up for college – with a few restrictions for the next three months.

Later we visited the GI doctor and the NJ tube was removed.

Still some minor issues but as long as she can maintain her calories intake, surgery will be avoided.

All the ducks are lined up in a row so off to college she goes!

Thank God for his continual faithfulness and amazing grace.

And thank you for your prayers.

God is good!

Rob

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Yay!! I'm so glad for her! (and you too!)