1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Dave Hunt

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 9, 2013.

1. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

What he really means is that since Dave Hunt wrote a book on Calvinism he is shallow, uninformed, misquotes, has lousy documentation, etc..

None of these accusations were made against Hunt UNTIL he put out articles answering questions about Calvinism. In fact, there were many Calvinists that sited his works on Cults and Catholicism prior to his book "What Love Is This" without ever disparaging his credentials or his scholarship.

But in true Calvinist fashion, the habit is to lynch those whom dare oppose Calvinism.

If you notice, more Calvinists have commented on his book on Calvinism than they have on his books on prophecy ("A Woman Rides the Beast" for example) even though his eschatology is at odds with the majority of Calvinist camps. But because Hunt never directly opposed Calvinism by name, it didn't attract the attention of Calvinists. But when he put out a book that crushes Calvinism, the gallows were prepared and the stakes and brushes assembled, and an APB issued for all who dare admit to having read this book, What Love Is This?

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Would to God these would actually listen to MLJ. But I expect the same old same old that they 'have'.

MLJ was and is a tremendous man of God. www.mljtrust.org.

3. Dennis324

Dennis324 Member

I didn't know Dave Hunt died. I didn't always agree with each and every little thing he said (Billy Graham is probably the only one I do agree with 100 %), but I did enjoy some of his work. Interesting books, especially on Cults.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny, some would say that your endorsement of him is the best refutation anyone could ask for.

5. preacher4truth

Sadly I agree with you.

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NOT saying that dave hunt was not a good author is some areas, especially in his books on prophecy and new Age cults within Christianity, just that he was less than in theology as regards to Sotierology, thats all!

7. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

MLJ was probably one of the WORST Calvinist "theologians" particularly his position on continuationism (although some have erroneously attempted to refute that claim).

Packer quotes MLJ as follows: "...read these books and you will find this gift of prophecy that was given to men to see the future, the power of speech that was given to them, and the occasional miracle. Anyone prepared to say that all this ended with the apostolic age, and that there has never been a miracle since the apostles in making are most daring statement. Not only is there nothing in the Scripture to say that all these miraculous gifts had to end with the apostolic age; the subsequent history of the church, it seems to me, gives the lie to this very contention.""The Sovereign Spirit: Discerning His Gifts" (Forward by J.I. Packer)

MLJ is a frequent go-to author by charismatics to prove that tongues and prophesying is still NT practice.

8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Frankly, in this statement I can agree with MLJ.

It is quite daring to state fanatically that "the occasional miracle" does not take place.

I personally am an example: There is no way other than a miracle from God that my wife would have even looked my direction when I first courted her.

:)

I do NOT believe that in general those things listed are in use, today, and neither do I hold that they are some sign of blessing as some would in the charismatic world. These things are not to be sought after, nor are they in any manner evidence of being "filled with the Spirit of God."

However, I have personally known missionaries who were confronted with very unusual situations in which both miracle and the gift of communication was given to them. They spoke in English but the hostile people heard it in their own language. Because of that miracle, the gospel was preached and souls were saved. Did such continue as a practice in their lives? nope - it was a one time occurrence and specific to the needs of that moment.

Packer and I would agree that God can do what He wills and His Word will not return void.

• Like Like x 1
  9. beameup

beameup Member

I watched his presentation of the refutation of Calvinism on YouTube.
    Outstanding!

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

You read what you want, and I will read what I want. I really don't care at all what you think about anything I say, believe or do.

11. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Was he Larry, Curly or Moe?

12. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

You can believe anything on the internet. They wouldn't put it on the internet if it wasn't true.

Here comes my girlfriend. I met her on the internet. She's a French model. ROFL

13. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I need to check him out again.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its in my pile of books to read. I have chosen Desiring God over that one to read next. A mistake? Not sure...

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need to give his book a shot. I just remember him from a sermon in seminary. I guess I cant make judgments that quickly.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    those are few and far between, special exemptions, but the truth os that neither the office of prophet, nor prophesy aspracticed in book of Acts happening today!

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the worst Calvinist theologians huh? Aside from your 'in particular', what makes him one of the worst overall in your estimation?

18. preacher4truth

This would be a wise decision.

19. preacher4truth

As is typical jim atch quotes MLJ out of context. He has to in order to shine a light on his own errant theology.

I'm not sure who is worse, jatch or winman, both can twist Scripture and quotes into error instantly.

Here's the real story on MLJ and the jatch quote:

http://thecripplegate.com/martyn-lloyd-jones-on-the-gift-of-prophecy/

20. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

And as usual, the MLJ defenders go the same go-to quote that has nothing to do with all the other statements that MLJ made elsewhere that he clearly supported the charismatic interpretation of continuationism.

By the way, I never did get an answer about how many slaves Jonathon Edwards owned! Did he buy them from the Freemason Calvinist churches in Afrika!