1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David Alan Black On Siblings In Christ

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not in the slightest.

2. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Womyn, perhaps? Thon comes to mind. Oh the things I read in sociology class.....

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have reposted the above to counter an attitude that using "brothers and sisters" in a Bible translation is supposed to be advancing a feminist agenda. Dr. Black, however, is a conservative Bible scholar. Greek happens to be his area of expertise. What's more --JJ admires him! So there!

#23 Rippon, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To buttress my case I offer the above.

5. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think 'Brothers & Sisters' is very apt. But, I am an NIVL...New International Version Lover...

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sibling does not imply a related by Parent relation of either male or female, and siblings does not imply the relations are both boys and girls, siblings could refer to two boys, two girls, or one of each.

2 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

Here sibling works and avoids limiting the application to males only. The real issue to saying (rightly or wrongly) that the male gender of the word indicates its application cannot be female. Once you accept (rightely or wrongly) that Greek word gender does not indicate male or female or neuter, but just provides a reference to connecting antecedents and such, the the problem goes away.