1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David their King

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by aefting, Aug 1, 2004.

1. aefting

aefting New Member

Jeremiah 30:9 reads, "But they shall serve the LORD their God and David their king, whom I will raise up for them." (ESV)

I have always assumed that "David their king" refers to Jesus Christ as the ultimate or ideal David. Recently, I have listened to a sermon of a widely respected man who thought we should take that verse (and other similar verses) to literally mean that God would raise up the original David to once again sit on the throne of Israel. Is that a common belief or an unusual opinion?

Andy

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Probably mixed ... I have heard both ...

3. aefting

aefting New Member

Do you know of anything in print that advocates the non-Messianic view?

Andy

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

No, I don't ... Sorry ... it has been a long time since I have even thought about it.

5. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

As the Bible says, we shall be priests and kings with Christ in the millennium.

I have heard that this verse means that we will be given governmental providences to help watch over in that time. From this belief it is said that David will be the governor/ruler of the province of Israel. Christ will be the one true king of the entire world and David will be the governor of the state of Israel.

As I said, this just is one interpertation that I once heard.

6. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

You and Larry must be having nightmares! :D If you don't believe me, ask the Rabbi down the street. The Targum paraphrases it,

"and they shall hearken to, or obey, Messiah the son of David their king;''

Any preacher who would say that “we should take that verse (and other similar verses) to literally mean that God would raise up the original David to once again sit on the throne of Israel” is advertising that he has a most pitiful ignorance of Old Testament theology.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context: "But they shall serve the LORD their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up for them. And fear not, O Jacob My servant," declares the LORD, "and do not be dismayed, O Israel; For behold, I will save you from afar, And your offspring from the land of their captivity. And Jacob shall return, and shall be quiet and at ease, and no one shall make him afraid."

IF God is going to raise up David to sit on the throne, He is also going to raise up Jacob and Israel. Of course, we see Jacob/Israel as a "figure of speech" called a metonymy where the person is linked to the nation. As is David.

8. aefting

aefting New Member

I agree with the Messianic understanding. I was just wondering if the "literal" alternative had any significant and published adherents. Does it come from a strip of dispensationalism?

Andy

9. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

To tell the truth I think the belief that David will literally become a king again came from the pentacostal prophecy experts who seek to make a name for themselves by revealing "hidden truths" that no one in past times knew about until they opened our eyes to it.

kind of like the hidden scriptures concerning the USA in the last days and how our nation will be a major player in the fulfillment of the book of revelation.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please start a thread on this one. I have heard people suck hidden meanings of the USA out of Scripture and would love to discuss/debate it.

Thanks.

11. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

your wish is my command [​IMG]

12. wopik

wopik New Member

Ezekiel also talks about David in these terms - Ez. 37, the "dry bones" chapter, vs. 24-25.