1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DaVinci Code

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cailiosa, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

The Da Vinci Sode

Dan Brown is niether a theologin or historian,in addition he is not a good researcher.
    His book would have gone un-noticed had it not been for the inside of the cover which claimed the book was based on fact.
    A quick look at a few facts help put things in perspective.
    1.None of the gnostic gospels he refers to are primary documents.All of these books were written at least 150 years after the death of Christ so none of these writers were witnesses to anything.
    There is no evidence or straight forward claims even in the materials he uses to demontrate that Christ was married or had a special relationship with Mary Magdalene.
    The secret society that was claimed to be started in 1099 was actually started sometime between 1946 and 1956, it never had more than four members and the person who started the secret society admitted in a French court that he and the documents were a fraud.
    The dead Sea Scrolls which he referred to were discovered in 1946 or 47 not in 1957 as he claims.Dan Brown also uses the dead sea scrolls to reference the New Testament,everybody knows the dead sea scrolls are olt testament documents and have no new testament references at all.
    The church he refers to having a pentagram or cross imbedded in the floor has no such thing.
    The close vote of the council of Niciene was not a vote at all but signing a document attesting to the full manhood and full Godhood of Jesus Christ.There were 318 there of which 316 signed the document and 2 who did not, which does not suggest a very close vote of any kind.
    The gospel of Mary Magdalene was not written by her. The Gospel of Phillip Was not written by him. The gospel of St. Thomas was not written by the doubting Thomas who was a disciple.
    This book was meant to discredit the Bible as God's Holy Word and To discredit Jesus Christ.I wonder how the conversation will go when Dan Brown goes to meat his maker?

2. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Reading that book or seeing the movie I rather equate with trying cocaine or heroin! I dont have to immerse myself in such to know beforehand how very wrong it is!
    Those who work at the mint are never taught what counterfeit money looks like. They are so well instructed regarding the details of the 'real' that they spot the slightest variation or discrepancy immediately!
    Thats how it should be with christians! They should know the word of God so well that they have no facination with knowing the details of the erroneous! Facination with error and or sin can lead one into grave danger, threaten their own walk with Christ and 'make the chariot wheels of their soul' run heavy!
    Why today do people feel a 'need' to be better acquainted with sin in order to witness to truth? Think about it! It makes no sense at all! Direct people to God's word; dont answer or feel a need to discuss trash!
    Our job as christians is not to refute such but to show Christ to a dying world, period!!

#22 2BHizown, Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006
  3. Plain Old Bill

There is no need to read the book or see the movie .You are correct.But there is a need to know church history whrch the book distorts along with other information which the book and movie also distort.It is important to know some things.Non-christians would not even be aware to look out for these falsehoods.Many Christians are not well discipled if you don't believe that you are living in a fairy tale world.We need to be able to make a proper defense for our faith and be able to battle lies with truth.

4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Exactly what Paul was reprimanding those at Corinth for; for not growing and learning! We are not only to be justified but sanctified, hungry, eager to learn, grow and mature! We will be held responsible for doing so. Paul gives good instruction on this in 1 Cor 3. Becoming contaminated with the world never causes one to know Christ better, does it? It does not make one a better witness! Learning more of DaVinci Code to better witness is fooling oneself! More of Satan's lies, urging us to better be familar with the ways of the world.
    Be not conformed to this world; be transformed by the renewing of your mind!! Rom 12: 2. That does not urge us to better be familiar with the ways of the world.
    Do we also have a need to better know drugs, prostitution, theft and or other crimes in order to understand why they are not conducive to witnessing? Hmmm.

5. Plain Old Bill

So then by your logic there is no need to study apologetics.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Depends on what you mean by "know." Certainly you would agree that if someone was going to have a ministry to prostitutes or drug addicts that they would need to be familiar with what gets these people into these lifestyles, what these people do, and what ways are available to help them as well as to bring them the gospel? We don't need to take drugs to minister to them, but we do need information on the drug addictions and that lifestyle.

Same thing with this book - we don't need to agree with it but we can read it in order to understand why people are liking it and how it might be influencing their views. I don't think a Christian needs to read this book if he/she doesn't want to, but those who are called by God to deal with this culture in their ministries should read it. I also think pastors should read it.

7. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I treated it as fiction.

Anyone that is not firm in their faith should not read the book or see the movie. I did not allow my 14 year old to see it much less her 12 year old brother. There are Christians out there questioning the bible now due to this book and this movie. I hate it for them.....

For me....fiction....easy read.....but pure fiction. I saw the movie and it caused me to question nothing.

:Fish: :praise: