1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Day of Christ and Day of the Lord

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Keith Mullins, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Used in 1 Thessalonians ch5 and 2nd Thessalonians ch2.

I'm trying to learn something here. Are they referring to the same day? Why do you say so?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There were many day of the Lords in the bible.
    It spoke of judgment of cities or of nations

• Winner Winner x 4
  3. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong, the only others 2 places the phrase is used in NT are OT quotes.

Does Paul use a different reference for that day in 2 Thessalonians or is he referring to a different day?

Edited to add "in NT"

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ot quotes explain the term

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and Revelation depicts one of those 'days of judgement':

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord`s day, and I heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet Rev 1

6. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Context distinguishes between "Day of the Lord" and on the Lords Day".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lol, and what is the context of the book of Revelation if not judgement?

Do you actually think John was saying "I was in the Spirit on a Sunday"?

#8 kyredneck, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you referring to "For you yourselves know accurately that the Day of the Lord comes like a thief in the night" (1 Thess 5:2); and 2 Thess 2:2, "that you should not be soon shaken in mind or troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word or letter, as through us, as if the Day of Christ is at hand"

Context in both cases speak of The Second Coming of The Lord Jesus Christ

The "Lord's Day" in Revelation 1:10, for example, is our Sunday, which is the First Day of the week, when Jesus Rose from the dead

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must admit that I'd never thought of that verse in that way, but it makes sense. Thank you for the insight, Brother.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the "Day of the Lord" passages in 1 & 2 Thessalonians refer to the same event. They were written by the same author (Paul) to the same audience (Thessalonian church). In 1 Thessalonians, Paul warns them to be alert, and to keep their "spiritual armor" on. In verses 23-24, we see that Paul clearly expects them to witness the coming of Christ.

In 2 Thessalonians 2, Paul tells them not to be fooled into believing that the "Day of Christ" had already come. Why would this 1st Century church believe the Day of Christ was near if it was far off in the future? This would have only served to confuse them, just as many Christians are confused today about the Day of the Lord. The "falling away" and the "man of sin" came during the Jewish Wars (AD 66-70). Something was "now" (when Paul wrote the epistle) restraining the Day of Christ. The "restrainer" may have been the Roman civil government or even Claudius, who was emperor when this was written. The "man of sin" was possibly Nero. Whether it was him or not, it was probably someone the Thessalonians knew.

"Day of the Lord" (and similar expressions) are used throughout Scripture to describe any period where God exercises judgment on a people. Clearly, the 1st Century Church was expecting the "Day of the Lord" at any time. Paul even had to correct those who though this "day" had already come.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I was in the Spirit on a Sunday"; I think not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matters not what you think

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  14. Keith Mullins

Keith Mullins Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could mean both.

15. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Second Coming, Return of Jesus Christ

I understand these to be the same day … which will arrive immediately after the period which is characterized as “like the days of Noah”

more later but i wanted to jump in here on the mo-Bile Dee-Vice for notifications

• Like Like x 2
  16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NET Footnote concerning 1 Thessalonians 5:2:

17. Two Wings

Two Wings Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh oh. Standby for brotherly refutation.

that is a great list of references in your Bible. NET … is it a particular study Bible? Thx

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lords day would be Sunday, day the Church now observed due to the resuurection of the Lord jesusd, while Day of the Lord refers to end times events, and also time of Jacobs Folly, when God dealt with Israel of last days to prepare them to meet returning Lord Jesus!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I see that they are.

" But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
    2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
    3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
    4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
    " ( 1 Thessalonians 5:1-4 )

In the above I see that "the day of the Lord" spoken here, is the same as that spoken in Matthew 24:29-42, Mark 13:24-37, Luke 21:27-28, 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8 and many others...
    The day of His coming again.

" Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and [by] our gathering together unto him,
    2 that ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
    3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
    4 who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God."
    ( 2 Thessalonians 2:1-4 )

Same in the above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In both accounts they involve the fact that the Lord Jesus will come...

The first one tells us that He will come as a thief in the night but that we as believers know this perfectly well and that that day of sudden destruction will not overtake us as a thief.

The second one gives different detail and mentions both His coming again as well as the believers' gathering together to Him ( what's called the "rapture" or catching away, see Matthew 24:29-31, Mark 13:24-27, Luke 21:27-28, and 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 as examples ), and also tells us that there shall be a great falling away first and the man of sin / son of perdition ( damnation, also known as the "beast" or Anti-Christ of Revelation ) shall be revealed...

Sitting in the temple of God and attempting to shew that he is God ( the abomination of desolation, Daniel 9:27, Daniel 11:36-39, Matthew 24:15, Mark 13:14, Luke 21:20 ), speaking of the Anti-Christ which is yet to be revealed ( Revelation 13:1-8 ).

The Day of the Lord / the Day of Christ is the day that He comes...
    Bringing with Him all of His saints as well as judgment upon those who do not know Him in the end of the days and of the kingdoms of this earth, before He takes over and rules all of them from Jerusalem for 1,000 years.

However,
    I see that "the Lord's Day" referred to in Revelation 1:10 is known to us by many names, depending on what language or culture we come from....
    In Spanish it is "Domingo", or "Lord's Day".
    In French it is "Dimanche", same thing.

In English it is "Sunday" ( named after, of all things, the sun god ), and corresponds to the first day of the Hebrew 7 day week.

That is how I understand those terms and why, and I wish you well in your studies in His word.
    May God bless you.

#20 Dave G, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1