1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Daytona 500 out-rates NBA, World Series

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Feb 22, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

According to ESPN, Sunday's Daytona 500 had more viewers than the NBA finals last year and all but one World Series game.

Wow.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

That is awesome!

3. Convicted by the Spirit

I have never understood racing. I have tried watching it. Why is it so popular? is it because of the wrecks?

4. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Not suprising to me! It's exciting. :D
    Well most people love the wrecks.

5. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

It's not just the wrecks. It's also the excitment of watching the skill and speed of a pit crew that can move a car that was running in 10th place into 2nd in a matter of seconds on pit lane. It's the excitment of watching a skillful driver take his car from the back of a 43 car pack to the lead and win a race. It's also the excitment of watching three equally matched drivers/cars race side-by-side in a "three-wide" pack down the straights and through the turns at speeds near 200 mph. And it is also the excitment of watching your favorite driver racing hard for lead and his car gets "loose" (the rear end kicks out to the side in a high speed skid) and somehow he is able to avoid hitting the other cars, the track walls, etc., regain control and head to the front again.

If you are interested in the sport what you need to do is find someone who has been a long time fan and watch a few races with them so they can answer your questions and help you understand what is happening on the track. Then pick yourself a driver and car that you like and start to follow them during the race season. Finally, get to a track and see a race live and in person. If you go to a race be sure to get a headset so your can listen to the Motor Racing Network (MRN) broadcast and protect your hearing at the same time.

6. PastorSBC1303

Bible-boy, great post.

I have loved NASCAR since I was a little boy and I have yet to get to a race in person :( I am hoping to be able to do that someday!

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or in the case of the 24 crew.... the frustration of watching a guy pass 10 cars on the track then lose 15 places in the pits. :( ;)

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's go.

9. PastorSBC1303

Let's go. </font>[/QUOTE]I would love to go. Do you attend in person often?

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never been. Shame on me too. I worked close enough to Charlotte to hear the PA awhile back. I've lived within a couple of hours of Darlington... within an 1 1/2 of 'Dega and Atlanta... within 20 minutes of Chicagoland... but never took the time to go.

My son has been after me to take him. I had planned to at least take him to the I-70 speedway some time.

The difficult part for us has always been missing church. I may have asked you before but what part of the state do you live in?

11. Convicted by the Spirit

My dad lives in DFW area and he goes to 2 races each year. I think the tickets are like 500 bucks each. Could be wrong, but if not that is kind of pricey.

Bibleboy, sounds like you really like racing ... you almost had me wanting to logon to nascar.com. [​IMG]

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I went to the last race at Rockingham (The Rock) and had great seats on the front stretch just beyond the start/finish line. If I remember correctly the tickets were less than $75-$80. When we go we hold a Bible study in the parking lot prior to the start of the race. Great witnessing tool.

13. PastorSBC1303

I live about 80 miles east of Springfield in the heart of the Ozarks.

I used to live up closer to KC and had an opportunity to go to a Busch race at the Kansas Speedway not too long after it opened, but I had a prior commmitment for that day.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I've never been to a Nascar race in person, either. Chicagoland is about an hour and a half away from me, but going to that race would require missing church. I've never been able to afford to go to any other track.

I hardly ever visit Nascar.com. It used to, and probably still does, have some of the most uninteresting stuff on it. It's very similar to pre-race interviews on Fox/NBC's Hour of Bull prior to each race.

I have no idea what it's like now. The real news is found at places like thatsracin.com and jayski.com.

15. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I live roughly an hour north of Sedalia... How far are you from there?

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, the various tracks range widely in seat costs. I don't know about Kansas. Talladega is pretty expensive. Charlotte used to be kind of in the middle.

17. PastorSBC1303

Scott, I am about 2.5-3 hours from Sedalia if I remember right. I used to live and pastor in Holden before moving down here.

18. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I live just down the road from Bristol. You have to have a king's ransom to get one of the few tickets that float around. There is a huge waiting list for seats, I'm told.

19. PastorSBC1303

Bristol would be a great place to watch a race.

20. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Good luck...

It is sold out for years in advance. :( Basically, you have to inherit a ticket. ;)