1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Deacon Eligibility

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by mark, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greek for "women" is also translated "wives". But nowhere do I see it saying or implying "women deacons". Did my Greek NT leave out a word?

2. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

So where does Phoebe fit into this?

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Cooke, Jr.:
    So where does Phoebe fit into this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She doesn't. Phoebe was a church member particularly noticed for her service. The term diakonos is used many times in Scripture, usually without reference to the office of deacon. Such is the case in Rom 16.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pastor Larry is correct. The Greek word is used to describe government, Christ, Paul, the apostles, et.al. Phoebe being called a servant doesn't validate the practice of women serving as deacons.

5. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

So diakonos was never used to mean deacon? I'm depending on you two for my Greek translation here. What word(s) did Paul use for deacon?

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes it was, but many times it wasn't. I'll expand on this in the morning when I'm not battling insomnia :D

[ January 24, 2002: Message edited by: TomVols ]

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I may...but I'll definitely give final word to TomVols.

David, the word "yom" is used many times throughout the Old Testament, and literally translated, it means "day." But in one area, it refers to a 24-hour period, another it refers to a long period of time, and yet in another it's ambiguous. But the word still means "day," just as diakonos means "servant." One has to read the context in which the word is used to determine if we're talking about "deacon" or just plain "servant."

8. grantb

grantb Guest

What about a man that fights God's man and God's word and clings to the traditions of some association over the word of God.

Is he still eligable??? :eek:

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That type of person who is a deacon in NAME only is really a "Diotrephes" who desires his OWN agenda over being a servant of the Body of Christ. In Third John we read: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I wrote to the church, but Diotrephes, who loves to be first, will have nothing to do with us. So if I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, gossiping maliciously about us. Not satisfied with that, he refuses to welcome the brothers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church. Dear friend, do not imitate what is evil but what is good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Imitators of the good - what a title for all of us to live up to!