1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Dead Sea Scrolls Exhibition

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by Deacon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Jewish Museum [LINK] in New York City is now showing an exhibition called
    The Dead Sea Scrolls: Mysteries of the Ancient World

The Exhibition began September 21, 2008 and runs until January 04, 2009.

The exhibit includes six of the Dead Sea Scrolls which are the earliest copies of the Hebrew Bible in existence.

These scrolls include portions from the book of Jeremiah, which date to 225-175 BCE.

Other texts that will be shown include an aprocryphal Jewish work, the Book of Tobit, which was not included in the Hebrew canon but was eventually accepted into some versions of the Christian Old Testament

Early examples of prayers from Words of the Luminaries; and Aramaic Apocryphon of Daniel, which mentions a son of God.

Also shown will be excerpts from two sectarian compositions, the Community Rule, which lays out the regulations for joining and being a member of a sect, and the War Scroll, which describes a great war at the end of days. Three of these scrolls have never been exhibited, while three others have never been seen in New York.

The exhibition will also include some artifacts from the site of Qumran and its vicinity.
    A jar and linen wrapper that protected the scrolls, the earliest phylacteries, dishes and vessels, and objects of daily life such as sandals, hairnets, and combs will illuminate the current scholarly debates over who used and who hid the scrolls.

Looks like a great family get-away,
    So close to the Gugenheim and many other NYC museums, right across the street from Central park.
    See you there between the holidays!

Rob

#1 Deacon, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Oh man - I'm SOOO there!! We have to go to the Guggenheim with my daughter for her college art seminar class so I think we'll head across the street to see this. :)

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be waiting for your report.

Rob

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Part of the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit is in the Natural History Museum right now in Raleigh. I took 72 of my finest ;) We researched the dead sea scrolls before we went and still learned a great deal. I would like to go back with out the teenagers. *ahem*

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am jealous... But glad for you.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

When my classes did their research pre-DSS exhibit - many used Wikipedia as a source. That kind of surprised me because I'd heard other teachers mention their talks to them about it's unreliability as a completely factual source. So I was reading the discussion part of Wikipedia's DSS article looking for info to take back to class as to why it should not be their only source. If you have not read any of the discussions behind the articles, I encourage you to do so - there is lots to be learned behind the scenes.

At the end of the discussion was a link to an NYTimes article about Israel developing an Internet exhibit of the Dead Sea Scrolls - it will take years to develop, but it is in the works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/world/middleeast/27scrolls.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin